May 24, 2018, 05:18:40 PM

Author Topic: Abuse in youth football  (Read 4661 times)

November 23, 2016, 06:46:07 PM
Read 4661 times

Major Clanger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38075480

So, Andy Woodward was right, his breaking the silence did prompt more people to step out into the public.

It must have taken incredible courage to be the first to step forward and I do think he should get some sort of award for it, I don't know, a special category of SPOTY or even an MBE.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

November 23, 2016, 07:05:58 PM
Reply #1

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Harrowing stories arent they
Lets hope the players can get a bit of closure and things like that never happen again

Simply simply lovely

November 23, 2016, 09:35:34 PM
Reply #2

Bally

Administrator
My mate Mally runs the refspect and the dontxtheline campaign as well as the grass roots football initiative, some of the post he puts up about the shit people give out is fucking atrocious
It's the roll I way

November 23, 2016, 11:56:44 PM
Reply #3

Major Clanger

November 24, 2016, 12:00:15 AM
Reply #4

Bluedylan

Is there any part of mainstream society that child abuse hasn't permeated? And to think some people still long for the good old days.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 24, 2016, 12:16:31 AM
Reply #5

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Fucking hell. This fella is a disgrace.

I don't like to harp back to speed but it was the first rumour around here that he too was caught up in this

Fucking horrible

Makes you think tho, I've stayed at people's houses (digs) as a kid playing in football tournaments.... Great people too but wonder how many weren't great? Was I just lucky?

I hope this doesnt put a stop to these great people doing what they do

Simply simply lovely

November 24, 2016, 01:47:01 AM
Reply #6

cantoffee

There was a case here where an Ice Hockey player spoke out and wrote a book about the abuse he suffered at the hands of his coach. He was told that if he wanted to go pro he would have to move somewhere to play for a better calibre of team. He did so and lived with his coach who sexually abused him for years as a teenager.

Sexual abuse of children is so much more rampant in society than people realize or at least acknowledge. It should be spoken about more openly because the only way to stop it is through educating parents and even kids as young as possible to protect them.

November 24, 2016, 02:21:44 AM
Reply #7

Major Clanger

Is there any part of mainstream society that child abuse hasn't permeated? And to think some people still long for the good old days.

Old people's homes, I guess.

I don't think there were many in terms of numbers, but they were incredibly prolific (I can't find a better word, sorry) and they naturally converged towards positions of authority with easy and unsupervised access to children.

I think there are roughly as many today as there had been thirty years ago but there are a lot more safeguards in many places, like in teaching.

November 24, 2016, 01:35:29 PM
Reply #8

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
It's these type of roles that these abusers are drawn to - positions of power/authority/influence where they are respected for the 'good' they are perceived to be doing, but with access to, usually vulnerable, kids and families. The Catholic Church, the BBC, care homes, the police, education, social workers and coaching. Outside of school, where in my role I have had to deal with these issues, I am a safeguarding officer for my parish church. The amount of money spent on training and the quality of it has been fantastic and, touch wood, I've not had a serious incident to deal with for a very long time.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

November 24, 2016, 11:05:05 PM
Reply #9

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber

My mate Mally runs the refspect and the dontxtheline campaign as well as the grass roots football initiative, some of the post he puts up about the shit people give out is fucking atrocious

It's a serious topic for sure but .... Bally's pal is named Mally? You couldn't make this up.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

November 25, 2016, 01:58:50 AM
Reply #10

Bluedylan

Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 25, 2016, 07:36:54 PM
Reply #11

Omar

It's these type of roles that these abusers are drawn to - positions of power/authority/influence where they are respected for the 'good' they are perceived to be doing, but with access to, usually vulnerable, kids and families. The Catholic Church, the BBC, care homes, the police, education, social workers and coaching. Outside of school, where in my role I have had to deal with these issues, I am a safeguarding officer for my parish church. The amount of money spent on training and the quality of it has been fantastic and, touch wood, I've not had a serious incident to deal with for a very long time.

Poor choice  of words, friend.

November 26, 2016, 02:15:57 PM
Reply #12

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Article in the Telegraph today, Gary Speed stayed in Barry Bennels house as a kid, was this the reason ?

November 26, 2016, 03:15:42 PM
Reply #13

ally2

One thing that struck me is how some of these footballers have gone on TV describing what happened you them in detail and directly accusing this Bennell. He has been jailed three times for such offences so it's very likely he did do these things to them but surely the right thing is to go to the police with it all first before doing these public interviews.

This could end up with a vigilante attack, or result in harm to his family members who had nothing to do with it.

November 26, 2016, 09:43:28 PM
Reply #14

cantoffee

One thing that struck me is how some of these footballers have gone on TV describing what happened you them in detail and directly accusing this Bennell. He has been jailed three times for such offences so it's very likely he did do these things to them but surely the right thing is to go to the police with it all first before doing these public interviews.

This could end up with a vigilante attack, or result in harm to his family members who had nothing to do with it.
What makes less sense is how he has been convicted multiple times but always spends only a year or two behind bars. While his victims suffer from ptsd and a variety of other mental illnesses for the rest of their lives. Punishment doesn't fit the crime when it comes to child sex abuse.