November 24, 2017, 08:15:11 AM

Author Topic: Everton v Arsenal  (Read 13225 times)

December 12, 2016, 08:35:53 PM
Reply #45

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
..............I have my doubts too ......and yet we've both got him down for first goal scorer  ???

I know.

I'm envisioning a stellar sub appearance ;)

December 12, 2016, 08:42:30 PM
Reply #46

Bluedylan

For the umpteenth time - if these young players were tearing it up in training then they'd be playing.  It was mentioned a week or two ago that Holgate's form had dropped off which is normal for young players.  Just because the first teamers are playing shite does not automatically mean that someone else will do better, just because you haven't seen them play for a while.  Why can't so many people understand that?

Can only speak for myself mate, but because Koeman (in my view) has made errors of judgement in other areas, so I don't just accept his opinion on the young players unquestioningly. We've seen Cleverley and McCarthy perform atrociously in the last two games, without exaggeration. In my view, there's no earthly way Tom Davies would be as bad as either of those two.

I'm not suggesting chucking a random kid in there just for the sake of it, as you seem to be suggesting. I'm saying from a practical view that Davies would offer more, right now, right this second, than either of those two.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

December 12, 2016, 09:08:41 PM
Reply #47

MmmBlueRamirez

For the umpteenth time - if these young players were tearing it up in training then they'd be playing.  It was mentioned a week or two ago that Holgate's form had dropped off which is normal for young players.  Just because the first teamers are playing shite does not automatically mean that someone else will do better, just because you haven't seen them play for a while.  Why can't so many people understand that?

In the summer when Koeman came in the slate was clean regarding all players. tom Davies obviously impressed sufficiently in preseason to be included in a few early games. He did ok, but not really any better than his established competition in the squad so he soon fell out of favour for more experienced players.

A sensible approach by the manager if you ask me.

If we get some new midfielders in January like we all hope I can see Davies being let out on loan to a decent club.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

December 12, 2016, 09:10:55 PM
Reply #48

Lxxx

I think because when we get one man (Unsworth) telling us one thing and then we get Koeman telling us another, all the while seeing the current encumbents of the 1st team shirts turning in some absolute gutless rubbish, leaving us to wonder how behind these kids must be to not even warrant a chance. It just doesn't stack up. Is Koeman overly cautious? Is Unsworth a bit too vocal with his praise? Is there a disconnect between the two?

December 12, 2016, 09:17:30 PM
Reply #49

MmmBlueRamirez

Maybe Rhino has gone all 'Martinez' on us?

That said his team is top of the league so the answer is probably not......
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

December 12, 2016, 09:19:07 PM
Reply #50

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Unsy said Davies was incredible in the last game, picking him out as best of the lot AGAIN. Get him in the first team, he cant be worse than whats there already.
I have to return some videotapes.

December 12, 2016, 09:41:20 PM
Reply #51

ally2

Get him in the first team, he cant be worse than whats there already.

Of course he could. And we could destroy his confidence too. But it's ok so long as your curiosity is satisfied.

December 12, 2016, 09:44:03 PM
Reply #52

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Of course he could. And we could destroy his confidence too. But it's ok so long as your curiosity is satisfied.

i really really doubt he could be worse than Cleverly & McCarthy....

December 12, 2016, 09:49:39 PM
Reply #53

ally2

i really really doubt he could be worse than Cleverly & McCarthy....

To be clear - I really want to see Tom Davies too. But our crowd can be really unhelpful at the best of times, and now they are particularly cranky. He has to play when the time is right. I don't think we are in mad rush so long as we make the right additions over the next year. Keeping Davies out of the team could be something we are all thankful to Koeman for in six months time.

December 12, 2016, 09:59:20 PM
Reply #54

kramer0

If he's training well enough, Barkley should get the nod for this one. Arsenal tend to struggle with his physicality when we're able get him on the ball in good areas.

If Koeman does decide to keep Ross on the bench again, I'd prefer to see Valencia, Davies, Dowell, or even Kone (if he's fit) play behind/alongside Lukaku. McCarthy/Cleverley were invisible there in our past two matches and I don't see either of them growing into that role (McCarthy looked pretty good alongside Barry, though).

Really, we just need someone who can help make the ball stick higher up the pitch or at least win a few fouls (we also need appropriate support for the more advanced players; you can't ask one or two players to hold the ball against four or five men consistently). I don't think it's a coincidence that our defensive record has gone to shit since we've been unable to keep the ball out of our defensive third.

Edit: So there's no way to use the word "n o d" anymore? Interesting. Enjoy the emoji, folks!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:07:41 PM by kramer0 »

December 12, 2016, 10:30:37 PM
Reply #55

Lxxx

Do you want a top up mate? I see your glass is half empty.

Me? I'm fine, I've got half left.

December 12, 2016, 11:56:45 PM
Reply #56

ally2

I'm saying from a practical view that Davies would offer more, right now, right this second, than either of those two.

It's still just a hunch you have though. There's no denying that. Arsenal are in very good form right now and have a very strong midfield. They are probably title challengers. On the other hand we are shot to bits with zero confidence or momentum. I would actually go further and say it would be irresponsible to throw Davies into that game, and that's in the context of me wanting to see how he would get on (because I've been impressed with what I've seen too). Throw McCarthy and Cleverly to the wolves if we must but let's not be blind to the risk of playing Davies. There is no rush other than the pressure from fans' impatience. And it's not as if there isn't another player in the squad who we want to succeed but who has suffered from confidence and miss management.

December 13, 2016, 12:04:22 AM
Reply #57

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Arsenal have just rawn Bayern again. it is right about now where their season usually falls apart with a result nobody expects. We win tomorrow...
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

December 13, 2016, 12:09:02 AM
Reply #58

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
anyway, Davies is playing tonight so wont be in the squad.

December 13, 2016, 12:17:03 AM
Reply #59

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
You know, he actually could easily be well fucking worse then cleverly or mccarthy.

Just because it doesn't match up to the nice narrative doesn't mean it can't happen.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.