November 22, 2017, 03:20:11 PM

Author Topic: Sligo Rovers  (Read 4775 times)

August 09, 2010, 09:22:00 PM
Reply #15

bluemanx3

i think but not sure it was ross barkley (the match programme was great all about dixe dean and his season playing for sligo)

deCoubertin

August 09, 2010, 09:46:57 PM
Reply #16

plumber

Well, Ross Barkley is our hottest prospect at his age alongside with Garbutt and Bidwell. Champion of Europe, future of England, etc.

August 10, 2010, 01:43:38 AM
Reply #17

eame

what was the final score???

August 10, 2010, 01:47:35 AM
Reply #18

plumber

what was the final score???

2-0 for Sligo.

August 10, 2010, 01:51:26 AM
Reply #19

eame

Tar bud

August 14, 2010, 07:39:51 AM
Reply #20

D3blue

I'm sorry to post this on the eve of a new season when we all have great hopes for success, but this needs to be said.  First let me say that I've been an Everton supporter for nearly 50 years and I love the club. 

Everton got a great player in Seamus Coleman from Sligo Rovers for relatively little money.  I imagine that part of the deal was that Everton would play a match at Sligo, maybe to raise money for Sligo and to raise the profile of Everton in Ireland??  After all the great Dixie Dean had played for Sligo Rovers.  The match was billed as Sligo v Everton and as a result there was a large turnout of Sligo and Everton supporters for the match.  Admission was 20euro, which is more than the admission for a league of Ireland competitive match.  Like many others I travelled considerable distance to see the match and catch a glimpse of some of our great players here in Ireland.  Well what a disappointment...despite being billed as 'premiership Everton' by Sligo and being listed on the official website as a pre-season friendly, Everton thought it was ok to send an academy team to Sligo and disappoint the many fans who had travelled to see the match.  This criticism is in no way aimed at the academy players, but is directly aimed at Everton FC.  It was done in bad faith to fulfil an inconvenient  promise made to Sligo to play a friendly match.  Ok so the Wolfsburg match fell on the previous day but this was known well in advance and 1 of the matches could have been rescheduled.   It shows such little respect for Sligo or for Ireland's Everton fans. I like many others (including form what I have heard Sligo Rovers FC) am very angry at this cheap decision by EFC.  Other EPL clubs have played friendlies here this summer, inc MUFC who brought an almost full squad, so why do Everton care so little about their reputation or their fans here?  I believe it has damaged the reputation of EvertonFC here in Ireland.

I intend to address this to the club in a written complaint.

August 14, 2010, 07:57:17 AM
Reply #21

MmmBlueRamirez

I'm sorry to post this on the eve of a new season when we all have great hopes for success, but this needs to be said.  First let me say that I've been an Everton supporter for nearly 50 years and I love the club. 

Everton got a great player in Seamus Coleman from Sligo Rovers for relatively little money.  I imagine that part of the deal was that Everton would play a match at Sligo, maybe to raise money for Sligo and to raise the profile of Everton in Ireland??  After all the great Dixie Dean had played for Sligo Rovers.  The match was billed as Sligo v Everton and as a result there was a large turnout of Sligo and Everton supporters for the match.  Admission was 20euro, which is more than the admission for a league of Ireland competitive match.  Like many others I travelled considerable distance to see the match and catch a glimpse of some of our great players here in Ireland.  Well what a disappointment...despite being billed as 'premiership Everton' by Sligo and being listed on the official website as a pre-season friendly, Everton thought it was ok to send an academy team to Sligo and disappoint the many fans who had travelled to see the match.  This criticism is in no way aimed at the academy players, but is directly aimed at Everton FC.  It was done in bad faith to fulfil an inconvenient  promise made to Sligo to play a friendly match.  Ok so the Wolfsburg match fell on the previous day but this was known well in advance and 1 of the matches could have been rescheduled.   It shows such little respect for Sligo or for Ireland's Everton fans. I like many others (including form what I have heard Sligo Rovers FC) am very angry at this cheap decision by EFC.  Other EPL clubs have played friendlies here this summer, inc MUFC who brought an almost full squad, so why do Everton care so little about their reputation or their fans here?  I believe it has damaged the reputation of EvertonFC here in Ireland.

That is quite shocking but unsurprising. It sounds as though both parties were to blame to a certain extent. Sligo for billing the game as premiership everton (raising expectations for first team players to be present) and charging 20e a time, and everton for planning finxtures poorly and seening a youth team. im sure they could have balanced things a little better and sent some first team players to sligo instead of germany.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

August 14, 2010, 08:19:11 AM
Reply #22

D3blue

That is quite shocking but unsurprising. It sounds as though both parties were to blame to a certain extent. Sligo for billing the game as premiership everton (raising expectations for first team players to be present) and charging 20e a time, and everton for planning finxtures poorly and seening a youth team. im sure they could have balanced things a little better and sent some first team players to sligo instead of germany.

It's really hard to know for sure.  I have friends in Sligo who support the local team and it seems that they expected (and perhaps were promised?) some big names.  I also met an EFC supporter at the team hotel after the match who had paid for VIP tics with a promise to meet Moysie after the match - as Moysie never showed up he got a full refund - doesn't that say something?? I met Alan Stubbs and the players at their hotel after the match and to say that Stubbsy was not in form to chat would be putting it mildly - in fact the atmosphere was VERY subdued.  The players were really nice to my son and signed autographs etc. but the overall atmosphere was simply not good.  I wonder had there been words between Sligo and the Everton team.  The best part of the evening was at the stadium after the match when Seamus Coleman gave a speech having been presented with his award. It was a really disappointing evening.

August 14, 2010, 11:28:25 AM
Reply #23

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
well that is quite expensive for a reserve match, considering the team i say v everton chile cost me 7 quid. But maybe this is just me, but i was aware weeks in hand that it was to be a reserve side. 
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 14, 2010, 11:40:59 AM
Reply #24

montanatoffeefan

Sorry to here about the shell game. Sounds like Everton may owe Sligo two now.
Everton forever.

August 14, 2010, 04:51:06 PM
Reply #25

D3blue

Brap how were you aware that it would be a reserves team?   It wasn't described as a reserves match on the official site until after the match.

August 14, 2010, 05:22:20 PM
Reply #26

Gash

Global Moderator
Looking at the fixtures I would say it was pretty obvious that it was going to be a reserve team that was playing, much the same as the games they played in Scotland. 20 euro's is a bit hefty and I would be pissed off too, but that's surely down to Sligo not Everton, it sounds like Sligo have done some clever marketing to try to draw a crowd. I can't see that Everton would guarantee Moyes to be there, given that they were in Germany the day before.

August 14, 2010, 06:08:55 PM
Reply #27

di_guyo

wait, what have everton done? fielding a team for a preseason friendly with no restriction as to who they can field? it's not everton you should be annoyed at, if anyone it's sligo. everton were never going to field a full 11 against sligo, it's preseason and to be honest anyone going to see sligo vs everton if they actually thought about it would have known that...pretty false advertising on their part, but everton have done absolutely nothing wrong, no obligations
Everton & Atleti

August 14, 2010, 10:27:29 PM
Reply #28

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
it was talked about on everton tv, so it wasnt a hidden thing
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 15, 2010, 01:49:11 AM
Reply #29

D3blue

wait, what have everton done? fielding a team for a preseason friendly with no restriction as to who they can field? it's not everton you should be annoyed at, if anyone it's sligo. everton were never going to field a full 11 against sligo, it's preseason and to be honest anyone going to see sligo vs everton if they actually thought about it would have known that...pretty false advertising on their part, but everton have done absolutely nothing wrong, no obligations

Why would anyone going to see sligo v everton know that? A few seasons ago Everton played a friendly v Bray Wanderers and fielded a fair number of 1st team players.  Other prem teams come to play friendlies in ireland and field most of their 1st team squads.  Maybe everton did nothing wrong, but they certainly haven't improved the support base in ireland, where we have been slipped down the order over the years.  Perhaps sligo didn't tie down the level of team that everton would send, but I don't believe that sligo would have sold vip tics to meet the manager without checking with everton.