November 19, 2017, 01:02:07 PM

Author Topic: TruBlue's post in the Loic Remy thread  (Read 4022 times)

August 10, 2010, 05:49:10 AM
Read 4022 times

.Rimbo.

Don't want to cause too much optimism around the place in case it ends in disappointment but this TruBlue has made an interesting point in the Loic Remy thread for me though. Thought I'd make a new thread out of it because it warrants it's own discussion.

Maybe the board belive we have a genuine chance of getting into top 4 and are going for it.

Could this be the case? Obviously I know you're going to throw the Leeds United argument at me but say we do sell Yakubu and add a few million from backers to stump up the money for this Remy, that's not that much of a gamble is it? We're already up to our tits in debt, it's not as if a few million are going to send the club into meltdown if it all goes wrong.

We all know we have an excellent squad now and an excellent chance at the top 4, and obviously CL football would be a massive step towards a new dawn at Goodison, it would be worth the odd extra million here and there for one or two more players.

I think Yakubu will be sold personally, probably for about an initial £8 million rising to about £11million. If the board take the gamble and add the odd extra few million to secure the services of a very promising young player or hot continental talent, would that be worth the risk?

deCoubertin

August 10, 2010, 05:51:57 AM
Reply #1

Endless, Nameless

I think they think our squad is good enough to push for 4th now; no extra money needed.

But fingers crossed anyway.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

August 10, 2010, 05:56:16 AM
Reply #2

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
I think it would be a worthwhile gamble, I'm not sure that it's the case that it's what our board are thinking though.  We do tend to end up "spending" a few million on a big signing each season at present, and Remy being signed with Yakubu going the other way could realistically just be this year's transaction on that front.

I do think that we are so close to getting in the top 4 that it's not a massive leap of faith to think that one big signing could be the one pushes us over that tipping point.  I don't know about this Remy guy, other than the fact he's massively rated in France, but he *seems* like he could be the player that would sees us become the team that we know we're close to being.

If the net spend including the sale of Yakubu is in the region of £5m, then I'd hope that even with our present limited financial situation we could make the effort and try to reap what we sow.  I suppose this isn't really necessary only about Remy, but about any player who could make a significant difference to us as things stand now.

August 10, 2010, 06:01:26 AM
Reply #3

Danny

Could also be treated as a morale booster, has to do some good for the players seeing a 13 million pound striker arrive at the club.

August 10, 2010, 06:04:19 AM
Reply #4

123_efc

I think we'd be lucky to get 8m rising to 11m for Yakubu now, he's done nothing for 2 seasons. I think we're good enough for top 4 at the minute, a right winger and/or 20 goal+ a season striker would make us genuine contenders though.
I miss Denis Stracqualursi

August 10, 2010, 06:04:47 AM
Reply #5

Endless, Nameless

Having him on the right (can he play there?) could well be the thing that pushes us that bit further, like you say Rimbo.

Don't get your hopes up though mate.

August 10, 2010, 06:08:51 AM
Reply #6

C-R-A-I-G

Everton being in a lot of debt is nothing more than a myth started by Anti-Kenwright protestors. We have a debt level of £37.8M. We pay 5% of our yearly income to service that debt. That isnt a lot of money. We are in a good position. Also Remy would be a bit of a gamble on whether he would adapt to the English game or not. Id rather give Yakubu another season to see if he can get back to how he was. Then sell him next season if he doesnt.

August 10, 2010, 06:09:28 AM
Reply #7

BootleBlueBoy

the fact is we need a top goal scorer or a creative player that get goals, we cant afford the finished article so we need to bring a kid in, 10-15m should be enough, with the sale of yakubu and the support of a few board members we can raise that cash. Am begging to think we will sign one big player before the season starts... just not crouch ;)

August 10, 2010, 06:12:46 AM
Reply #8

Danny

Everton being in a lot of debt is nothing more than a myth started by Anti-Kenwright protestors. We have a debt level of £37.8M. We pay 5% of our yearly income to service that debt. That isnt a lot of money. We are in a good position. Also Remy would be a bit of a gamble on whether he would adapt to the English game or not. Id rather give Yakubu another season to see if he can get back to how he was. Then sell him next season if he doesnt.

Only problem with that is mate that if he doesn't his value then drops to about 5-6 million.

August 10, 2010, 06:15:48 AM
Reply #9

Endless, Nameless

Only problem with that is mate that if he doesn't his value then drops to about 5-6 million.

Or if he lives up to his potential his value could double.

It's a gamble.

But I'd be incredibly surprised if any of it was true. The Daily Mail (not the mirror -- I double checked this time...) is the only one running this story, and that's not a good sign.

August 10, 2010, 06:16:37 AM
Reply #10

Sharky

How much would Suárez cost?

Three Lions on a shirt, Jules Rimet still gleaming.

August 10, 2010, 06:18:13 AM
Reply #11

123_efc

During the world cup i heard 30m being thrown about....
I miss Denis Stracqualursi

August 10, 2010, 06:19:28 AM
Reply #12

Danny

Probably about 25 Million Euros.

August 10, 2010, 06:20:03 AM
Reply #13

Sharky

Hmm not likely then, would be nice though.

Three Lions on a shirt, Jules Rimet still gleaming.

August 10, 2010, 06:26:19 AM
Reply #14

Mahoney

If true, which i doubt (sorry!!), then I would rather see the money put towards Landon.

Does anyone actually know who the fuck Remy is? Is he really that shit hot, and if so why haven't Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern put a cheeky bid in for him.

I smell a rat. This story is for the benefit of WHU...not us. They have money to spend, we don't. I know it talks about selling to buy, but I'm not so sure.

Hey...if it comes off and Remy is a super star, then fantastic news.
It's getting pretty serious.