November 22, 2017, 05:26:58 PM

Author Topic: Bily a worry?  (Read 5863 times)

December 13, 2009, 01:28:23 AM
Read 5863 times

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
When he first came we all thought we had found the next Sheedy but he seems to have lost his way or our first impressions were way off.  Blargins said on the other thread we should be worrying about him more than Jo and I kinda agree with that as at the moment he is a passenger and is even becoming a liability.  Don't get me wrong I haven't hung the lad yet and he needs time but he is no left midfielder IMO.

What are you're thoughts on him so far?

deCoubertin

December 13, 2009, 01:30:23 AM
Reply #1

Con.1878

I'm unsure, He's showed he does have skill and class but is too quiet in matches and looses the ball far too much for a midfielder.

December 13, 2009, 01:35:35 AM
Reply #2

Derek

I think he'll come good. These things take time, and he's had little rest owing to our injury list.

I might have taken him off today, because he was a bit of a liability but I'm not worried about him generally just yet.

Cracking player when on form.
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

December 13, 2009, 01:36:45 AM
Reply #3

Gash

Global Moderator
At times during games, he looks like the lad at school that no one passed to, the games seem to pass him by a lot. I'm willing to give him time though, after all, Fellaini's had a season and a half of "give him time"

December 13, 2009, 01:37:00 AM
Reply #4

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
He's been off form the last few games in the league, but you have to remember that he's only a few months in to a career in a new country, and he's playing out of position too.

From what I've seen from him playing for Russia too, I think he just is one of those players who is always on the fringes of the game, but can suddenly pop up with a telling contribution.  At the ment though, he's just looks tired and way off the pace.  There were a couple of instances where he lost the ball so cheaply that it was untrue today.

It's a recurring theme for us at the moment on here, but I think we need to wait and see how he fits in to a full-strength team of ours.  I do fear a little bit that we're trying to mould him in to a left-winger which he might not be capable of becoming.

As for the Sheedy comparisons, that just goes to show how overboard we can go on first impressions and is the reason why I was being a wet blanket in one of the threads about Coleman last weekend!

December 13, 2009, 01:37:21 AM
Reply #5

Билялетдинов

tbh i'm more worried about jo. a clumsy brazilian is like an italian who can't cook.

December 13, 2009, 01:39:25 AM
Reply #6

MmmBlueRamirez

Hes a bit overawed at the moment. The premiership is far more intense, powerful and frantic than the russian league and its taking him a while to adjust. We won't see the best of him for a while yet.

Also hes not quite on the same wavelength with baines as pienaar is. Its a shame that moyes didn't swap them a couple of times to see if they could have more luck/influence on the game as it seemed to pass both of them by.

A forgiving 6/10 because he provided a good long throw for our second goal.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

December 13, 2009, 01:44:47 AM
Reply #7

Con.1878

tbh i'm more worried about jo. a clumsy brazilian is like an italian who can't cook.
Jo is only on loan though mate, were bilya is our player who cost us £10m and around £35k a week

December 13, 2009, 01:46:43 AM
Reply #8

Trowel

Lets not forget that he's now at the point where's he's effectively been playing for a full season. I expect him to be rested frequently when Osman and Arteta return, and hopefully we'll see him at his consistent best next season after a nice summer with his feet up watching the World Cup on the telly.
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

December 13, 2009, 02:05:26 AM
Reply #9

Thom

Administrator
I think today showed that he's just doing a job for us on the left, much like Osman does on the right. He's quite clearly not a winger, and the pace of the Premier League is probably taking him back a bit. One of the commentators did say today that Billy said in an interview "The Premier League is like playing in a washing machine." Pretty much sums it up for him. Finally, he's been playing football since March without a break so he may feel a tad jaded, which won't help him currently.

I'm not worried though. He was up against a physical side today as well as one packed with quality players, so he wasn't going to muscle the likes of Lampard or Ivanovic off the ball. He's shown good touches though and has scored important goals for us. He's also looked good in our European games as the pace is slower and he has more time to choose what he wants to do. Give him time and he'll settle in, learn the pace of the game better and start showing his true form.

December 13, 2009, 02:11:30 AM
Reply #10

cantoffee

I'm sure moyes had said that if we didn't have our current injury troubles he would mostly feature in europe and from the bench in the league, but unfortunately he's been thrown into the deep end.

Like many have said, give him time, I think he'll end up playing behind the striker in the future when we play 4-5-1 and as cahill's role diminishes. I think he'll come good, it might just take until next season before we see how good he'll really be able to be.

December 13, 2009, 02:24:07 AM
Reply #11

Amata

I think its a few things. As well as being his first year in the EPL, doesnt the russian league play from March or April to december so he may be tired too.  I will judge him next year when he's settled and used to the pace of the prem.
All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind

December 13, 2009, 02:32:01 AM
Reply #12

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
I'll put it like this, any player who stops Osman playing on the wing is alright in my book!  :thumbsup:
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

December 13, 2009, 04:15:40 AM
Reply #13

Endless, Nameless

I wish he was more compact. That sounds weird, but I think of him like pienaar and arteta. They don't have physical strength, but they have skill and pace. Bily is this kind of player, but he's like 6"1. Too tall to be nimble, but he's not strong enough to be a strong player. I don't know what we can do with him, maybe try him in the center?
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

December 13, 2009, 06:18:47 AM
Reply #14

Abraders

I think Billy has been on and off, scores some important goals. Sound familiar? I think he will be like Fellaini was in his first season, adjusting and settling in. During his second season he will find consistency!