November 20, 2017, 10:07:13 AM

Author Topic: Bily a worry?  (Read 5861 times)

December 13, 2009, 07:52:39 AM
Reply #15

Mahoney

I hope some of you won't turn him into the next Fellaini....(i.e. bashing him at any given chance). Granted, he was poor today (I was cursing at the tv when late in the second half we had a break and he tried to take the defender on...very poor decision on his part!!), also his deadball work is poor at the moment.

However, I for one will reserve full judgement until we have a 'proper' midfield on the pitch. Even though he's left footed it doesn't mean he's a left winger. I think Moyes see's him playing more central with Pienaar on the wing outside him. Hard to do at the moment, but we need to look forward when Arteta and Bily can play the central midfield roles, pulling the strings.

Still pains me to see the injury list and the injuries are the reason why Bily is playing on the left.
It's getting pretty serious.

deCoubertin

December 13, 2009, 07:54:16 AM
Reply #16

bloody scally

he will come good. Glimpses = eventually after all imo

December 13, 2009, 10:39:55 AM
Reply #17

blueski

He's been hit or miss, wish I'd have seen better delivery from the lad. He's got technical ability though. Just wish you'd see a bit of fire from him. He's too easy going for my liking. Can't recall seeing a bit of emotion or energy from him. Like protesting a call against us running his socks off if he's lost the ball.
Nil Satis

December 13, 2009, 03:27:11 PM
Reply #18

Midfield General

I'm not concerned at all tbh if Ossie was fit it is most likely that Bily would not be starting matches, Moyes said when we signed him that he would take a lot longer than Tinga and Distin to settle in, and that is exactly what is happening.  But we've seen in glimpses already that the lad has undoubted ability but he's playing within himself at the moment.  Give him time I remember people saying similar things about Lord Jagielka when he first arrived at the club and looked what happened there once he got himself settled.  It will take longer with Bilya though, similar situation to Fellaini.

Have faith brothers and sisters :)

December 13, 2009, 06:25:46 PM
Reply #19

Endless, Nameless

I'm not concerned at all tbh if Ossie was fit it is most likely that Bily would not be starting matches, Moyes said when we signed him that he would take a lot longer than Tinga and Distin to settle in, and that is exactly what is happening.  But we've seen in glimpses already that the lad has undoubted ability but he's playing within himself at the moment.  Give him time I remember people saying similar things about Lord Jagielka when he first arrived at the club and looked what happened there once he got himself settled.  It will take longer with Bilya though, similar situation to Fellaini.

Have faith brothers and sisters :)

Are there any women on this site? I know there's a few drama queens like  :snigger:
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

December 13, 2009, 08:17:45 PM
Reply #20

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I hope some of you won't turn him into the next Fellaini....(i.e. bashing him at any given chance). Granted, he was poor today (I was cursing at the tv when late in the second half we had a break and he tried to take the defender on...very poor decision on his part!!), also his deadball work is poor at the moment.

However, I for one will reserve full judgement until we have a 'proper' midfield on the pitch. Even though he's left footed it doesn't mean he's a left winger. I think Moyes see's him playing more central with Pienaar on the wing outside him. Hard to do at the moment, but we need to look forward when Arteta and Bily can play the central midfield roles, pulling the strings.

Still pains me to see the injury list and the injuries are the reason why Bily is playing on the left.

We do currently have a midfield. We are arguably only one player away from making it our strongest midfield, and that's with Arteta. Otherwise, Pienaar, Fellaini and Bilya are technically our best midfielders.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

December 13, 2009, 08:33:36 PM
Reply #21

Endless, Nameless

We do currently have a midfield. We are arguably only one player away from making it our strongest midfield, and that's with Arteta. Otherwise, Pienaar, Fellaini and Bilya are technically our best midfielders.

Let's see what Donovan can do. And don't forget Rodwell, or even Heitinga in DM. Your idea of our best midfield is probably our best in an attacking sense, but you need someone like Rodwell or Hetinga to win long balls and protect the defense etc.

December 14, 2009, 12:11:58 AM
Reply #22

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Fellaini and Arteta together would do the job of a dm well. Arteta is the key in all this. With him central, we dominate, thereby excluding the need of a dedicated dm.

With Arteta's injury, I expect him to play even deeper from now on dictating play, rather than breaking it up (positive tactics here) and don't forget, his early days were as a dm.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

December 14, 2009, 01:09:02 AM
Reply #23

Endless, Nameless

Fellaini and Arteta together would do the job of a dm well. Arteta is the key in all this. With him central, we dominate, thereby excluding the need of a dedicated dm.

With Arteta's injury, I expect him to play even deeper from now on dictating play, rather than breaking it up (positive tactics here) and don't forget, his early days were as a dm.

That makes sense. Attack is the best form of defense, after all.

December 14, 2009, 02:31:53 AM
Reply #24

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Yep, that's what I've been trying to preach.
- Walt Disney

December 14, 2009, 02:35:19 AM
Reply #25

DannyR

Steven Pienaar took time fitting into the squad look at him now
Billy- give him time
I like my coffee how I like my women, with 2 e's in them.

December 14, 2009, 03:45:38 AM
Reply #26

BlueSte

He's also had the demoralising misfortune of seeing his chances of going to the world cup wiped out.  A subject well documented in the press by a Mr. Arshavin.
The Black Watch

December 14, 2009, 11:58:40 PM
Reply #27

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
And what about the large amount of goals he has already scored. Must be our 2nd top scorer this season besides all the assists. People on here judge too quickly.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

December 16, 2009, 11:55:23 PM
Reply #28

brazilian_blue4life

tbh i'm more worried about jo. a clumsy brazilian is like an italian who can't cook.

lolol lolol lolol

the only thing Jo has related to brazilian football is his passport!

About Bilya i think he will come around, he just needs time, and he felt in a very out of form injury bugged squad... i really think he will start performing once we turn the corner for good.

December 17, 2009, 01:17:29 AM
Reply #29

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
He's not a problem at all. I know it's hard not to do but far too many people rush to make final sounding judgements.

As has been said, he has a decent number of assists and is our 2nd top scorer.

On Saturday he looked knackered, but he still made sure he was back in position and won a very crucial header at the far post against Ballack.

He has very good technical ability and given that he's 6'1", has the physical size to cope in the PL.

His problem is that he's getting used to the speed of the game while not being in prime physical condition.

Once he's more accustomed, and hopefully had more of a rest, then I think we'll start to see what he can really do.