November 24, 2017, 03:39:12 PM

Author Topic: tim cahill  (Read 2183 times)

August 16, 2010, 08:39:56 PM
Read 2183 times

5yeararteta

Just wondered what peoples thoughts are on him at the moment? I am 50/50 I believe he is committed gives great energy can score goals and win games and then on the other hand is not creative not technically very good and even though he scores goals for us he could also be preventing them as someone in his position could link up play more efficiently and cause damage in a different way.

deCoubertin

August 16, 2010, 08:44:28 PM
Reply #1

Endless, Nameless

Keep him there.

Watch him play. He's really tidy. He can pick a pass, play his part in good passing moves, hold the ball up. He gets no credit for any of this. In fairness I've only just noticed it, but I have no doubts that we should start with him. If it's not working then sub him, by all means, but he pulls his weight.

The problem is who plays in front of him. Saha can't seem to score, the Yak is going it seems, Anichebe isn't ready to play there, Beckford isn't either -- if he ever will be, etc etc.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

August 16, 2010, 08:48:22 PM
Reply #2

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Cahill, Bily and Rodwell should all be pushing for the same position IMO.  Cahill can do an excellent job but depends almost entirely on the service from midfield.  He is very unlikely to provide creatively or make something out of nothing.   Bily and Rodwell are more likely to do damage around the box and out of nothing.  Cahill should be a valuable squad player but shouldn't necessarily be an automatic name in the first eleven anymore.

August 16, 2010, 08:48:58 PM
Reply #3

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
He has never been the best passer of the ball

August 16, 2010, 09:12:48 PM
Reply #4

AidyEFC9

I think Cahill would do better with Beckford ahead of him cos with Beckfords movement of the last defender, always looking to get in behind and pulling CB's all over, that would leave space for Cahill to get in and get on the end of things, just like he did versus Norwich and Everton Chile when those two were in the side.

I know it was pre-season but it was no coincidence that Cahill got an hat-trick and should of got an hat-trick in the game versus Everton Chile when Beckford was ahead of him but with the premier league starting now, Moyes isn't too sure about starting Beckford just yet.

When we had AJ up top and he was doing the things Beckford does, making runs, pulling out wide (too wide for my liking!) and dragging CB's out of position, Cahill really benefited and scored alot of goals through AJ's movement and making space for him to exploit and when he as Saha or Yak upfront, there more static and stay centrally and don't make the space for Cahill to get in behind when running from his deeper role.

I know Cahill isn't the most gifted footballer at our club but he's alright but what he lacks in technical ability, he more than makes up for it with his commitment and desire and goals he brings to the side and the leap he's got when getting off the ground and his heading ability is good in both boxes for us.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:14:24 PM by AidyEFC9 »

August 16, 2010, 10:10:43 PM
Reply #5

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Don't think Cahill did any better with or without AJ to be honest.

Certainly his goal stats don't support the he was better with AJ argument.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

August 16, 2010, 10:33:52 PM
Reply #6

.Rimbo.

He's not what I would call a 'proper footballer'. There are a fair few examples of him picking the wrong option and I think if he isn't scoring, he doesn't offer anything really that we couldn't get out of someone else.

He does try his best and loves the club but I think this is the season where we need to start phasing him out. His knack of scoring important goals and occupying a different space to other players, as well as his late runs into the box, make him almost the perfect substitute if we are behind and need a goal.

I'd start introducing Rodwell slowly into that role over the season and try Bilya' there to see how he fares.

August 16, 2010, 11:41:43 PM
Reply #7

dunkster

cahill will only be effective with decent crosses coming into box. not the shite that neville hangs up in there. unfortunately only baines really has that skill in open play.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

August 16, 2010, 11:43:37 PM
Reply #8

AidyEFC9

Don't think Cahill did any better with or without AJ to be honest.

Certainly his goal stats don't support the he was better with AJ argument.

Its not just the AJ arguemant though, when we signed Bent and Cahill, Cahill scored loads playing off Bent and got on the end of alot of chances and Bent was a similar type of player with his movement.

Then the seasons weve had Yak and Saha, Cahill as got his goals dont get me wrong, but not as many and in that time playing off one of those two, his form dipped and he wasnt scoring, fair does he was getting played deeper or wide due to injuries in the team and alot of people was calling for him to be dropped but i just think if Cahill as a striker infront of him who's always on his toes and as good movement then Cahill as space to exploit and make those late runs to get on the end of things better instead of having Yak or Saha stuck centrally and blocking that space off for Cahill to get in.

If you think about it, Cahill got alot of his goals from set plays last season and the season before that, when we had AJ or Bent, he got goals from exploiting the space and getting on the end of things arriving from his deeper role, getting on the end of crosses or moves and playing behind Beckford in pre-season he was doing exactly the same.

I'm not saying Beckford should be are main striker but maybe we could use him and hope he gets the goals and brings out the best in Cahill or brings out a better goal threat from Cahill or sell Yak and buy a more proven, better quality of striker that as better tools than Beckford to play up top.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:47:13 PM by AidyEFC9 »

August 17, 2010, 12:38:16 AM
Reply #9

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Cahill should of been sold 2 seasons ago. We would of got 15M for him then. Now we have to accept that he is part of the funiture. Sometimes he is good but majority of the time he is average and offers very little but the hope of getting onto the end of a cross from wide men who are pretty bad at crossing.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

August 17, 2010, 01:31:45 AM
Reply #10

johnj

Cahill past his prime but always our second top scorer and a big game player. Also good cover for central striker position.
But agree with some posts that we should sometimes try Billy (or even Rodwell) in his position to see how they fare.

August 17, 2010, 02:12:14 AM
Reply #11

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
or even another second striker.

Cahill has been great for us, no doubt, but to the future we must look.

August 17, 2010, 02:27:16 AM
Reply #12

johnj

Or we could try Cahill further forward as the second striker and target man, alongside Saha and with Rodwell in the 'Cahill role'.

August 17, 2010, 02:40:35 AM
Reply #13

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Cahill already is in the second striker role. He is a second striker.

August 17, 2010, 02:01:51 PM
Reply #14

Sharky

'we need someone more creative' dont be stupid, thats what arteta is for. Cahill is effectivly a striker, and a striker's job is to score, which he does. Case closed.

Three Lions on a shirt, Jules Rimet still gleaming.