November 24, 2017, 08:16:45 AM

Author Topic: "Honda issues January come-and-get me plea..."  (Read 4582 times)

August 19, 2010, 04:20:58 PM
Reply #15

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Would take him in a flash but if we can't afford Donovan then we can't afford him either.

deCoubertin

August 19, 2010, 04:24:33 PM
Reply #16

bloody scally

How was that Racist?!
I wouldn't call it racist. I mean i wouldn't complain if someone called me a Scot.

August 19, 2010, 04:35:44 PM
Reply #17

Jamokachi

August 19, 2010, 04:37:02 PM
Reply #18

Gareth

August 19, 2010, 04:59:07 PM
Reply #19

Jamokachi

:snigger:

Ah, casual racism, isn't it fun.

August 19, 2010, 06:51:54 PM
Reply #20

Sensei

August 19, 2010, 07:19:52 PM
Reply #21

AllyBlue14

Are Brit and Aussie racist then? And I suppose Argie is too. Racist means denigrating somebody for their creed, colour or origin, it has nothing to do with using an inoffensive diminutive for their nationalities.

On topic, however, I agree with the idea that Moyes could work with this guy but sadly I think our lack of budget may once again thwart us.

August 19, 2010, 07:26:20 PM
Reply #22

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Are Brit and Aussie racist then? And I suppose Argie is too. Racist means denigrating somebody for their creed, colour or origin, it has nothing to do with using an inoffensive diminutive for their nationalities.

On topic, however, I agree with the idea that Moyes could work with this guy but sadly I think our lack of budget may once again thwart us.

It is all about context though innit. 

August 19, 2010, 07:28:23 PM
Reply #23

bryan

Speaking of icons for second rate national teams, maybe Rodwell can become one too.

August 19, 2010, 07:47:08 PM
Reply #24

AllyBlue14

A lot of it is about context or how a certain term is intended. But Brit is just a shortened form of Briton and as such it's not offensive in the slightest. I just find it a bit pathetic - if someone called me a Brit I wouldn't bat an eyelid. But if I called them an Argie etc - out of familiarity rather than any racist motives - then WW3 would ensue! Maybe next time I should kick off and see what comes of it.

I would like to know at what point shortening a name becomes racist - if 'Japanese' is acceptable and 'Jap' is racist, does that mean anything in between is borderline??  :bonk:

August 19, 2010, 07:53:03 PM
Reply #25

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Speaking of icons for second rate national teams, maybe Rodwell can become one too.

:snigger:

August 19, 2010, 07:56:44 PM
Reply #26

.Rimbo.

It's like calling a Scotsman a Scot, an Australian an Aussie, and a Frenchman a cunt.

:)

August 20, 2010, 02:37:58 AM
Reply #28

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
A lot of it is about context or how a certain term is intended. But Brit is just a shortened form of Briton and as such it's not offensive in the slightest. I just find it a bit pathetic - if someone called me a Brit I wouldn't bat an eyelid. But if I called them an Argie etc - out of familiarity rather than any racist motives - then WW3 would ensue! Maybe next time I should kick off and see what comes of it.

I would like to know at what point shortening a name becomes racist - if 'Japanese' is acceptable and 'Jap' is racist, does that mean anything in between is borderline??  :bonk:

please see: context, denotations, connotations.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 20, 2010, 02:47:03 AM
Reply #29

ever100

Would it be racist to say that if we signed him, he'd probably do well at the players initiation karaoke?