November 24, 2017, 08:11:18 AM

Author Topic: Warnock and Lawrenson speaking on Arteta for England Debate  (Read 6930 times)

August 24, 2010, 03:54:45 PM
Reply #15

dekko

England has an Italian manager, how is that any different than Arteta playing?
There are lots and lols of players that play or have played for a different country than the one they were born in; why is England any different?
I think it would be a very big decision for Arteta to take, so if he gets called up, and he decides to take the chance, well, then he deserves to do it and people should still support him.

deCoubertin

August 24, 2010, 04:04:44 PM
Reply #16

Jamokachi

I think Toshack should get in there with a cheeky phonecall. He's eligible for all the home nations after all.

August 24, 2010, 04:14:08 PM
Reply #17

ever100

Idiots can't even spell dual properly.

Apparently, 'duel' is a battle between two entities.  :snigger:

August 24, 2010, 04:15:36 PM
Reply #18

Gareth

I don't remember all this fus over Owen Hargreaves. He's not English...

But he at least had English parentage.

August 24, 2010, 04:24:27 PM
Reply #19

Jamokachi

But he at least had English parentage.

Still, he's not English. Which is what a lot of fans are coming out with against Arteta.

August 24, 2010, 04:43:44 PM
Reply #20

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Still, he's not English. Which is what a lot of fans are coming out with against Arteta.

You are forgetting something about the average Englishman.  Hargreaves looks English, has an English name and accent so he is English in most people's eyes.  No one will ever think of Arteta as an Englishman.  We sing the best little Spaniard we know because he is Spanish!  Fans are fickle, it would take some epic performances to win fans over.

August 24, 2010, 05:14:18 PM
Reply #21

Verm

NSNO Subscriber

He's part English, Arteta isn't.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

August 24, 2010, 05:17:25 PM
Reply #22

BlueWool

I couldn't give a fuck who England pick, They can use gorrillas for all I care. I just don't want Arteta playing because he'll take all the flack if they play badly.

August 24, 2010, 05:21:10 PM
Reply #23

Sheedys left foot

You are forgetting something about the average Englishman.  Hargreaves looks English, has an English name and accent so he is English in most people's eyes.  No one will ever think of Arteta as an Englishman.  We sing the best little Spaniard we know because he is Spanish!  Fans are fickle, it would take some epic performances to win fans over.
Now we can sing " hes the best little Englishman we know "
CHUNK,I LOVE YOU CHUNK.

August 24, 2010, 05:28:32 PM
Reply #24

Thom

Administrator
Like I said in the podcast on Sunday, if you were Arteta would you want to join in with the vast majority of those overrated primadonnas? Even more of a telling point is he wouldn't get in ahead of Lampard, Gerrard and Barry.

August 24, 2010, 05:33:39 PM
Reply #25

dekko

Sven Göran Eriksson - nothing English
Capello - nothing English, could not even speak English until he got the job
Marcos Senna - nothing spanish
Deco - brazilian with japanese roots, but plays for portugal
Pepe - nothing portuguese
Eduardo, ex Arsenal, nothing croatian
the list goes on and on...countries like Germany, Japan, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal...
why not England?

August 24, 2010, 05:40:24 PM
Reply #26

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Because despite projecting multiculturalism we are still essentially a xenophobic society.

August 24, 2010, 05:43:00 PM
Reply #27

Jamokachi

He's part English, Arteta isn't.

Part English? Because his dad/mum was born a few thousand miles away? That rule is as daft as this citizenship rule. But the rules are there to be exploited, so why not?

August 24, 2010, 06:29:01 PM
Reply #28

nomorechang

RIP
Mikel will never play for England ..IMO he's using this as a lever to try to prod the Spanish manager into giving him a cap ... He's obviously not a better player than Iniesta etc but if he was ever called upon he would not let them down or look out of place
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

August 24, 2010, 06:42:25 PM
Reply #29

VBlue

Lennox Lewis - not British
Greg Rusedski - not British

I take Silas's point.  But if he was successful, would anyone care?