November 23, 2017, 05:43:03 PM

Author Topic: Warnock and Lawrenson speaking on Arteta for England Debate  (Read 6928 times)

August 24, 2010, 06:45:32 PM
Reply #30

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Lennox Lewis - not British
Greg Rusedski - not British

I take Silas's point.  But if he was successful, would anyone care?

No, but they would if he/England weren't.

deCoubertin

August 24, 2010, 06:45:44 PM
Reply #31

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Lewis was actually born in England, and Rusedski I believe had a British parent.

Completely different scenario to what's being talking about with Arteta.

August 24, 2010, 06:49:44 PM
Reply #32

beavis07

Camoranesi is Argentinian and has played with distinction for Italy for ages don't forget.

Surely if a person is considered eligible to be a citizen of a country, then they're also eligible to represent that country?
I mean if we're saying as a country "you've been here long enough to be legally considered 'one of us'" then surely that includes playing for the national football team just as much as claiming unemployment benefits or using the NHS?

I'd take him in an instant, he'd be the first decent player we've had in our midfield in the best part of 20 years.
Canary,
In a guilded cage,
Singing

August 24, 2010, 06:55:52 PM
Reply #33

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
It isn't about eligibility though, it is about English culture and the fact Arteta would only be welcomed by the press and fans for as long as he did well.  It would take one bad game for him to be destroyed.  Lennox Lewis was accepted because he won.

August 24, 2010, 06:57:30 PM
Reply #34

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Camoranesi is Argentinian and has played with distinction for Italy for ages don't forget.

Surely if a person is considered eligible to be a citizen of a country, then they're also eligible to represent that country?
I mean if we're saying as a country "you've been here long enough to be legally considered 'one of us'" then surely that includes playing for the national football team just as much as claiming unemployment benefits or using the NHS?

I'd take him in an instant, he'd be the first decent player we've had in our midfield in the best part of 20 years.

I agree with the citizenship argument.

I don't think that many people are arguing that he shouldn't play, more that a lot of people won't see it like that.

And they certainly won't when things go wrong.

It's quite a difficult subject as it depends on how a person feels inside. Personally I'd have no problem in going and living somewhere else, claiming citizenship and representing that country.

Other people feel their birth nationality a lot more.

August 24, 2010, 06:58:54 PM
Reply #35

evertonjoe

Surely Jamo is hoping that he pulls a Pat Van Den Hauwe and chooses to play for Wales

R.A.P Music

August 24, 2010, 06:59:05 PM
Reply #36

beavis07

This would be the same press who've decided Capello isn't fit to do the job because he's a greasy foreigner and is to blame for England being shit at the world Cup?
The same press who hounded out Sven following the best period relative success for 30 odd years for the same reason?
The same press who insist that "With the players we've got, we should be challenging for trophies"?

They're idiots, fuck what they think.. they clearly have no clue what-so-ever
Canary,
In a guilded cage,
Singing

August 24, 2010, 07:00:48 PM
Reply #37

beavis07

P.S. I can totally see why he wouldn't want to be involved.. I wouldn't either

I can also see why the fans and press wouldn't like it.. I'm just saying they all idiot wankers who don't know a good thing when it's presented to them.. that's all :D
Canary,
In a guilded cage,
Singing

August 24, 2010, 07:02:18 PM
Reply #38

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
This would be the same press who've decided Capello isn't fit to do the job because he's a greasy foreigner and is to blame for England being shit at the world Cup?
The same press who hounded out Sven following the best period relative success for 30 odd years for the same reason?
The same press who insist that "With the players we've got, we should be challenging for trophies"?

They're idiots, fuck what they think.. they clearly have no clue what-so-ever

Not just the press, I'd imagine many an Ingerlund fan would go on the same wavelength.

August 24, 2010, 07:07:33 PM
Reply #39

.Rimbo.

Like I said in the podcast on Sunday, if you were Arteta would you want to join in with the vast majority of those overrated primadonnas? Even more of a telling point is he wouldn't get in ahead of Lampard, Gerrard and Barry.

He's a far superior player to Barry, and could definitely play in the holding role IMO.

August 24, 2010, 07:09:53 PM
Reply #40

blargins

NSNO Subscriber

What best success was that then? I don't remember England doing well at any of the comps they were in.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

August 24, 2010, 07:11:46 PM
Reply #41

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
What best success was that then? I don't remember England doing well at any of the comps they were in.

It was better than a non qualify and last 16 from the last 2 though!

Success doesn't have a high bar for Ingerlund.

August 24, 2010, 07:28:29 PM
Reply #42

beavis07

I don't believe that's what I said... I said it was as successful as we've managed.

Quarter Finals in two major tournaments and no qualification problems is the best we've done since the 1990 world cup...

He never won anything, but who else has? It wasn't his fault we're shit.
Canary,
In a guilded cage,
Singing

August 24, 2010, 08:17:13 PM
Reply #43

dekko

Lewis was actually born in England, and Rusedski I believe had a British parent.

Completely different scenario to what's being talking about with Arteta.

Arteta has already spent more time in England than Rusedski had before he "turned" English.

August 24, 2010, 08:37:35 PM
Reply #44

Father Mcnulty

Arteta should hold out for Spain. His day will come. He just needs the press on his side.