November 18, 2017, 12:00:14 AM

Author Topic: Warnock and Lawrenson speaking on Arteta for England Debate  (Read 6925 times)

August 24, 2010, 08:41:07 PM
Reply #45

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Arteta has already spent more time in England than Rusedski had before he "turned" English.

That's not the issue really though for me.  I'm talking about the difference between someone having a link to the country by bloodline as opposed to someone who's just spent some time living there.

It's all very well quoting the likes of Rusedski and Hargreaves as a precedent but they're not precedents at all as the scenario is different.  The precedents are what we've seen from other countries (ie. Cacau and Deco) - players who are representing countries that they have no family link to. 

Personally I'm not sure whether I agree with it or not, although I think that given that it seems other countries are exploiting citizenship rules then there's no real reason why England shouldn't.

deCoubertin

August 24, 2010, 09:50:20 PM
Reply #46

Thom

Administrator
He's a far superior player to Barry, and could definitely play in the holding role IMO.

I know that, you know that, quite a few fans of other clubs would know that too.

Would Capello play him ahead of Barry? Not in my mind. I think that Capello would think the 'balance' of the side would be disrupted.

August 24, 2010, 09:59:32 PM
Reply #47

top flight for a long time

I know that, you know that, quite a few fans of other clubs would know that too.

Would Capello play him ahead of Barry? Not in my mind. I think that Capello would think the 'balance' of the side would be disrupted.
But Capello is a bit of a dick and probably has Barry written on his team sheet before anyone else - why else would he take someone who was still injured to the world cup when he was basing his picks on "form".

Also, he can't even speak English properly after being in the job for over 2 years - there's dedication.

Back to Arteta, you'd be proud if he was picked for England but at the same time wouldn't want it to happen really.
We're forever Everton....

August 25, 2010, 12:31:36 AM
Reply #48

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
In professional tennis, players chop and change nationality even after representing their country in the Davis cup for example.

I remember an Australian girl, born to Croatian (I think) parents, played for Oz, then got pissed off with them and played for Croatia instead.

I think if you have a passport of whatever country you have, then that is good enough. You have the same rights as everyone else legally, so why not in something less important as sport.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

August 25, 2010, 12:39:31 AM
Reply #49

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
In professional tennis, players chop and change nationality even after representing their country in the Davis cup for example.

I remember an Australian girl, born to Croatian (I think) parents, played for Oz, then got pissed off with them and played for Croatia instead.

I think if you have a passport of whatever country you have, then that is good enough. You have the same rights as everyone else legally, so why not in something less important as sport.

Jelena Dokic Blarg. I agree he qualifies to play and if he wants to and is picked he should play. He must know that he will be judged differently to everyone else.

Also, Lampard's days are numbered for England. Maybe Capello looking to play Arteta instead of Lampard with Gerard pushing on more.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

August 25, 2010, 12:50:04 AM
Reply #50

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
That's the girl. Forgot her name.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

August 25, 2010, 12:55:45 AM
Reply #51

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
That's the girl. Forgot her name.

Was it her dad who was either crackers or a war criminal or sommet

Simply simply lovely

August 25, 2010, 12:56:34 AM
Reply #52

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
He was a total loonie that guy. Ruined what was a very good player at one stage.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

August 25, 2010, 02:14:46 AM
Reply #53

Gash

Global Moderator
I think Lawro got it spot on.

I can agree with the blood line thing for nationality, but not playing for a country just because you've lived there 5 years. I'm actually surprised Mikel was even open to the idea.

Two things though, why on earth would anyone want to play for England when you see the abuse that they get in the press etc? And does this not say a lot for the state of English football that a 28 year old Spaniard might be up for consideration for a cap? So much for home grown talent.

August 25, 2010, 02:29:15 AM
Reply #54

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Better nations than England have done it Gash.

As for the 5 year rule, well I spent 7 years in Australia and feel that I love that country more than England. Given the choice, I would be back in Australia before England. Plus I was only born in England, I had to work hard to become an Australian citizen. It kind of means more.
- Walt Disney

August 25, 2010, 02:32:13 AM
Reply #55

Ridge

I think its a difficult one, if Mikel wants to play then I see no reason he shouldn't be picked.

August 25, 2010, 02:32:50 AM
Reply #56

Stumpy

I am stunned arteta is even thinking about it,he aint english and never will be. I am totally againsed this ludicrous rule. It's the same in other sports, the all blacks have a fair percentage of fijians,samoans and tongans playing for them and even half of our own cricket team should be playing for other countries. I hope he comes to his senses and tells them thanks but no thanks.

August 25, 2010, 02:36:36 AM
Reply #57

Jamokachi

Surely Jamo is hoping that he pulls a Pat Van Den Hauwe and chooses to play for Wales

:thumbsup:

Pat had Big Nev in his ear though!

August 25, 2010, 02:49:06 AM
Reply #58

Gash

Global Moderator
Better nations than England have done it Gash.

As for the 5 year rule, well I spent 7 years in Australia and feel that I love that country more than England. Given the choice, I would be back in Australia before England. Plus I was only born in England, I had to work hard to become an Australian citizen. It kind of means more.

Like Scotland?  ;D

It doesn't mean people have to agree with it though. And I'm surprised with Arteta being so patriotic that he would consider it.

As for loving a country you live in, fine. But there doesn't have to be a rule that allows you to play for that country.

August 25, 2010, 02:52:13 AM
Reply #59

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
The law of the land is greater than a sports team. If he has a passport, then he has the same rights as any other citizen. Including playing for a sports team. If that became segregated, then all hell would break loose.
- Walt Disney