December 10, 2018, 04:07:06 AM

Author Topic: Warnock and Lawrenson speaking on Arteta for England Debate  (Read 7319 times)

August 25, 2010, 02:14:46 AM
Read 7319 times

Gash

Global Moderator
I think Lawro got it spot on.

I can agree with the blood line thing for nationality, but not playing for a country just because you've lived there 5 years. I'm actually surprised Mikel was even open to the idea.

Two things though, why on earth would anyone want to play for England when you see the abuse that they get in the press etc? And does this not say a lot for the state of English football that a 28 year old Spaniard might be up for consideration for a cap? So much for home grown talent.

August 25, 2010, 02:49:06 AM
Reply #1

Gash

Global Moderator
Better nations than England have done it Gash.

As for the 5 year rule, well I spent 7 years in Australia and feel that I love that country more than England. Given the choice, I would be back in Australia before England. Plus I was only born in England, I had to work hard to become an Australian citizen. It kind of means more.

Like Scotland?  ;D

It doesn't mean people have to agree with it though. And I'm surprised with Arteta being so patriotic that he would consider it.

As for loving a country you live in, fine. But there doesn't have to be a rule that allows you to play for that country.

August 25, 2010, 02:54:09 AM
Reply #2

Gash

Global Moderator
On the Spanish patriotism issue, is he?

He's Catalan is he not? Maybe he doesn't even consider himself "that Spanish"?

I can't be arsed splitting straws, what I mean is he has often spoken of his desire to play for Spain

August 25, 2010, 03:06:27 AM
Reply #3

Gash

Global Moderator
I'm not splitting straws mate, it's a genuine question, that I don't think has been asked.

I think it was mentioned when this story first broke a week or two ago. Like I say, I'm surprised at him, as he has held a desire to play for Spain, and commented a few times about it. Although he's Catalan, he obvioulsy has some pride in Spain.

August 25, 2010, 04:43:55 AM
Reply #4

Gash

Global Moderator
Lawrenson has no place to comment on if it's right or wrong for Arteta to play for England, I mean he hardly sounds like he's from fucking Limerick does he

Did you read that article? To be fair he did admit as much.

"And that comes from someone who was born in Preston and yet played for the Republic of Ireland.