September 20, 2018, 07:59:54 AM

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Everton  (Read 38800 times)

August 26, 2010, 04:33:02 AM
Read 38800 times

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
My team sheet for Sunday:

Coleman

Rodwell

That is all.

August 26, 2010, 04:41:53 AM
Reply #1

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Can see Neville or Hibbo at RB to try and stop Young with Ossie in front of them to help them out

So same as every week?

August 26, 2010, 08:09:44 PM
Reply #2

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I'd hope Coleman at least makes the bench. Having Hibbert with the option of bringing on Neville (or vice versa) is pointless as they're pretty much the same type of player. If we need to change things up then Coleman should be an option as it'd seem as the game goes on he gets more and more useful with his relentless running.

The main problems we have are the RW and DM/CM situation. Fellaini is ready to start again and he should be the number 1 choice at DM. So what happens with Heitinga? I think its time to give him and Jags a go and see how they work.

As for the RW, I don't know how close Anichebe is to being back but Osman should be the competition for Arteta in the middle and should never be out wide if at all possible. I'm not convinced Billy is the man for that position either which leaves us with the same problem we've had for a while... no obvious RW selection. It might be worth seeing if Coleman could do a job there but away to Villa would be a real baptism of fire for such an experiment. Maybe we'll sign a RW before Sunday?  :eh:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 08:12:36 PM by blueToffee »

August 27, 2010, 11:32:51 PM
Reply #3

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Hopefully he plays Neville or Hibbert so that if we don't win, we can convince ourselves that we would have done if Seamus had played. If he starts, and we don't, then surely there's no point in ever going to a game again.

On a serious note, they have to be demoralised after last night. To have scored fairly late on only to have then lost it must have been a blow.

Their manager will know he's only holding the fort now, whereas if thay had gone through he could still have been in with a chance of getting the job properly.

If we go looking to win (I think they'd take a draw) then I'd expect a victory. If we also look for a draw anything could happen.

If we had come off a week where we'd lost 6-0 to Newcastle and then at home to Rapid again, whereas they'd won 5-1 in midweek I know that we'd be pretty pessimistic. Surely the same must apply to them.

That is exactly my mindset when watching games these days :)

As for Villa I hope we don't go in their "meekly" as we've been in this situation before when teams are there for the taking but we give them enough room to build their confidence back up and we end up dropping points. We're going to have to score more than once though as we need to account for Carew scoring against us yet again.

August 29, 2010, 09:15:28 PM
Reply #4

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
1510: BREAKING EVERTON TEAM NEWS:
Jack Rodwell starts for the Toffees at Villa Park.

The question is where is he playing? I hope it'll not be another square peg in a round hole situation.

August 29, 2010, 09:50:00 PM
Reply #5

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Because Heitinga is no better if not a bit worse than Hibbert at right back.  Coleman I can see the argument for but Heitinga is clearly a class centre back/dm

Exactly.

Fitting your best players into the starting XI is not a good idea if they aren't playing in a position that suits them.

Very few players can play well in more than one position. At Everton I struggle to think of more than a couple of players that can play two positions to the same level. Of anyone in the team I'd probably say Pienaar was the most flexible as he can play well on either wing and in the middle of the park too to roughly the same degree. Heitinga does a good job at CB and DM and Lescott before him was a good CB and LB.

I know we only saw Heitinga briefly at RB (for those of us who didn't see him play at Athletico) but he didn't seem to have any natural RB attributes you tend to look for. Keep him in the middle like Osman and it'll be best for all concerned.  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:54:19 PM by blueToffee »

August 29, 2010, 11:04:35 PM
Reply #6

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I think Rodwell much like Osman is wasted on the right and yet again we're predictable in how reliant we are on the left side to create any chances.

I'd be predictable in suggesting Coleman at some point but we need to switch things up as it isn't working and Osman isn't it either.

We've been very sloppy today all round. The main disappointment is how little we're creating though.

The best chance of coming back into this is if Beckford draws another yellow card against Dunne.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:06:34 PM by blueToffee »

August 29, 2010, 11:15:52 PM
Reply #7

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Like for like substition... Would never have guessed ;)

Not sure Moyes likes to "go for it".

On a side note, nice cross by Hibbert there.

August 29, 2010, 11:17:07 PM
Reply #8

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Yikes, lucky there.

August 29, 2010, 11:27:01 PM
Reply #9

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Not lucky, great double save from Howard.

It was a good recovery from Howard but the Nick of Jags could've gone anywhere.

Anyhow COYB...

August 29, 2010, 11:27:57 PM
Reply #10

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Wow. Coleman on at RW.

August 30, 2010, 12:03:06 AM
Reply #11

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Poor start. But it was just one of those days at the end.

Worst start to the league in 11 years :(

August 30, 2010, 12:30:26 AM
Reply #12

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
We were unlucky, I think, but how many points have we lost because of fucking stupid mistakes?

We've been a bit unlucky there too. Make a silly mistake, get punished for it and then have to chase the game.

Although the result wasn't better at least in the 2nd half we looked a lot better.

August 30, 2010, 12:33:02 AM
Reply #13

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Moyes brought Coleman on for Rodwell, who had a knock, so the point about taking Hibbert off is moot.  I don't know why he brought Heitinga on for Hibbert.

That was weird. Hibbert was supporting Coleman well, it seemed like he was doing it just to do something.