November 18, 2017, 11:42:45 PM

Author Topic: Moyes' latest Pienaar comments  (Read 1938 times)

August 29, 2010, 06:38:02 PM
Read 1938 times

.Rimbo.

What do we make of them?

Everton boss David Moyes has told Steven ­Pienaar that he will have to have the season of his life to earn the big-money transfer that he craves.

Pienaar is ready to wind down the final 10 months of his Goodison contract after rejecting a new deal that would have given him ­parity with their £55,000-a-week top earners.

But Moyes believes ­Pienaar’s ambition could work in Everton’s favour as they look to improve on a disappointing start to the campaign that has seen them collect just one point from games against ­Blackburn and Wolves.

The Toffees go to Aston Villa today and Moyes said: “Steven told me at the end of the season that if he didn’t sign a new contract I’d still get the same player we had last year. I actually think that players who are in their last season tend to play their best football.

“We’ve made him a ­brilliant offer, so he’s going to have to play some great football to show people he’s better to earn more somewhere else.

“He can’t agree to sign for anyone in this country until the end of next ­season, so I hope that we get an ­outstanding season from him.

“I always said I spent £3million for him two years ago so with the two years he also spent here on loan, we’ve had four good years from him.”

Moyes added: “The offer is still there on the table – we’re pretty cool with it.

“Steven has been loved here and he’s found a club that we think suits him.”

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/08/29/what-the-papers-say-29-august

deCoubertin

August 29, 2010, 06:43:27 PM
Reply #1

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
2 years on loan?

Thought it was just one.

If he goes for free next season, he's only cost us £3 million. And as Moyes says, if he plays out of his skin to get this big contract he craves (when he'll be close to 30), then I think we'll have seen the best of him anyway.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

August 29, 2010, 06:51:09 PM
Reply #2

Jamokachi

2 years on loan?

Thought it was just one.

I think that was a slip of the tongue.

And I agree with what Moyes has said.

August 29, 2010, 06:53:31 PM
Reply #3

Endless, Nameless

Hopefully by next season, Gueye will be able to take over the LM/LW mantle.

Although I'm hoping we have an ace season and Pienaar signs an extension half way through.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

August 29, 2010, 07:12:22 PM
Reply #4

plumber

Sensible viewpoint from Moyes, except that 2 years loan. He’s never been good at maths :)

August 29, 2010, 07:44:15 PM
Reply #5

nottsblue

Thats not true. Davey can count to seventy!

August 29, 2010, 07:52:26 PM
Reply #6

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
He's a player we'd be looking to replace in a year or two anyway.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

August 29, 2010, 08:55:43 PM
Reply #7

bigl1cks

Exactly blarg. One more good season, and if he wants out then fair enough he can go.

If he doesn't play well then he won't be getting any big moves.
anything but long ball!

August 29, 2010, 09:16:34 PM
Reply #8

Thom

Administrator
He's just put the ball back in Pienaar's court really, especially with the last sentence in that answer. Nothing new from what's been said in the past.

August 29, 2010, 09:48:40 PM
Reply #9

Derek

Only thing he really can say, to be honest. If we can't convince Pienaar to stay then we can just accept that he's gone and expect the best of him this season partly as a thank you to us for having faith in him and partly so that he can get that "big" contract he's after.
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

August 30, 2010, 03:36:27 AM
Reply #10

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Or have the season of his life and get the money he wants and perhaps chapions league football elsewhere..
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

August 30, 2010, 03:56:51 AM
Reply #11

Tasslehoff

All in all a very shrewd bit of business if you look it long term. For all the Moyes criticism you have to admit for getting value for money his is up there with the best

August 30, 2010, 04:08:00 AM
Reply #12

ever100

Its basically tellin Pienaar that youre here and stayin. Play well and you might get the same offer from us next year, or from someone else. Dont play well and you'll get neither, so sign or take the gamble.

August 30, 2010, 04:10:17 AM
Reply #13

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Its basically tellin Pienaar that youre here and stayin. Play well and you might get the same offer from us next year, or from someone else. Dont play well and you'll get neither, so sign or take the gamble.

Because interest in him will dissapear if he doesn't have a world beating season?

Doubt it..
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

August 30, 2010, 04:13:47 AM
Reply #14

ever100

Because interest in him will dissapear if he doesn't have a world beating season?

Doubt it..

There may well be interest in him, but not sure it'll be the mega offer he seems to crave.