July 29, 2017, 06:52:53 PM

Author Topic: [News]Blues bid £8.5m for Algerian striker  (Read 1930 times)

January 11, 2017, 09:43:40 PM
Reply #15

bigmanbob

This is getting reported all over the show now including the reputable palces

deCoubertin

January 11, 2017, 09:51:03 PM
Reply #16

stirlingblue

So would a Jack Russell but you want a bit more than chasing down the ball.
:McCarthy:

January 11, 2017, 09:54:31 PM
Reply #17

MmmBlueRamirez

:McCarthy:

He's more of a French Tank than jack Russell as he only goes backwards....
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

January 11, 2017, 09:57:40 PM
Reply #18

stirlingblue

He (Belfodil) see's himself as a number 10 apparently

feature=youtu.be&t=1m16s

From r/soccer:

Quite good actually. Has scores some good goals. Works a lot. Good mentality.

Problem is. We have no MC able to create so he was the guy doing the job. And we were one man down upfront. Sa was alone.

Hasn't played once as a pure striker. Second striker or AM.

Sometimes he wants to do "too good" by himself.

January 11, 2017, 10:07:59 PM
Reply #19

kramer0

[Warning: Most of you aren't going to like this and rightfully so. You'll see why if you read on.]

This could be to fulfill a very specific tactical role. From what little I can tell, Belfodil is big, works hard, but has some technical ability to go with it. [Here's where it gets bad.] I remember reading something from a Stoke supporter talking about Stoke's best football under Pulis [told you it was going to be bad] and one of the tactical quirks he mentioned was that they used to play with a sort of "false 10", a target man who played a little deeper than the traditional target man forward position (basically man-marking the opponent's defensive midfielder), whose main job was the hold the ball up, win headers, and create space for the proper striker. Of course, as the Premier League got more sophisticated, it became near impossible to play this sort of player. But then last season, we saw a new model in the form of Troy Deeney, someone who could win all of the physical battles and hold the ball up, but who also had the quality to get on the ball and find his strike partner (which made Ighalo look incredible).

We know that Walsh has had at least a passing interest in Deeney (he was linked heavily with Leicester before Walsh left and was even with us tenuously). So maybe this is Walsh's ploy to get a Deeney-like player, someone who can get a hold of longer passes to get us up the field but who also has a touch of quality to set-up Lukaku or beat his man 1 v. 1 and create a favorable attacking situation elsewhere.  I know that's not very inspiring and that, all things being equal, we'd rather dominate possession but we need some way of getting a foothold against some of the better sides in the league while we work on what we do with the ball. (Or maybe Koeman is just Dutch Pulis.)

So yeah, this isn't anywhere near what I'd hoped we'd do in this window. But I guess we just have to trust Walsh's process for now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:11:34 PM by kramer0 »

January 11, 2017, 10:11:53 PM
Reply #20

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
[Warning: Most of you aren't going to like this and rightfully so. You'll see why if you read on.]

This could be to fulfill a very specific tactical role. From what little I can tell, Belfodil is big, works hard, but has some technical ability to go with it. [Here's where it gets bad.] I remember reading something from a Stoke supporter talking about Stoke's best football under Pulis [told you it was going to be bad] and one of the tactical quirks he mentioned was that they used to play with a sort of "false 10", a target man who played a little deeper than the traditional target man forward position (basically man-marking the opponent's defensive midfielder), whose main job was the hold the ball up, win headers, and create space for the proper striker. Of course, as the Premier League got more sophisticated, it became near impossible to play this sort of player. But then last season, we saw a new model in the form Troy Deeney, someone who could win all of the physical battles and hold the ball up, but who also had the quality to get on the ball and find his strike partner (which made Ighalo look incredible).

We know that Walsh has had at least a passing interest in Deeney (he was linked heavily with Leicester before Walsh left and was even with us tenuously). So maybe this is Walsh's ploy to get a Deeney-like player, someone who can get a hold of longer passes to get us up the field but who also has a touch of quality to set-up Lukaku or beat his man 1 v. 1 and create a favorable attacking situation elsewhere.  I know that's not very inspiring and that, all things being equal, we'd rather dominate possession but we need some way of getting a foothold against some of the better sides in the league while we work on what we do with the ball. (Or maybe Koeman is just Dutch Pulis.)

So yeah, this isn't anywhere near what I'd hoped we'd do in this window. But I guess we just have to trust Walsh's process for now.

Or a Fellaini ;)

January 11, 2017, 10:39:53 PM
Reply #21

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Is this signing a bit 'Moneyball'?
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

January 11, 2017, 10:40:17 PM
Reply #22

BlueNoseMike

Or a Fellaini ;)

You've beat me to it. Some of our most exciting football involved Fellaini in that role in Moyes last season. This is a good option to have and adds something different. We've seen last year Lukaku excelling when paired with another big guy upfront in the form of Kone. Maybe this guy can add what Kone did plus have a bit more elegance and technical ability.

We don't just need players that can slot into our first 11, we need players of this ilk that could provide a plan B off the bench. That is of course if he is any good at doing anything I've just said.

Walsh might just have a fetish for Algerian men

January 11, 2017, 10:44:00 PM
Reply #23

kramer0

Or a Fellaini ;)

Too obvious. :bonk:

It wasn't always the prettiest but did play some excellent stuff with Fellaini in that role. Hopefully we have enough squad options now to only use the long ball tactic when it's necessary. One of Moyes' biggest problems (failings?) was that he had to (chose to?) use that approach in a lot of matches where it just wasn't going to work, whether through his own tactical shortcomings or because he just couldn't get the players to play another way.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:48:47 PM by kramer0 »

January 11, 2017, 10:44:18 PM
Reply #24

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I don't mind it. Lukaku has looked better when not carrying it all on his shoulders.

For gods sake he even looked better with Valencia near him.

This guy does the donkey work, rom sticks a hole on the onion bag.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 11, 2017, 10:44:27 PM
Reply #25

Lxxx

This could be to fulfill a very specific tactical role. From what little I can tell, Belfodil is big, works hard, but has some technical ability to go with it. [Here's where it gets bad.] I remember reading something from a Stoke supporter talking about Stoke's best football under Pulis [told you it was going to be bad] and one of the tactical quirks he mentioned was that they used to play with a sort of "false 10", a target man who played a little deeper than the traditional target man forward position (basically man-marking the opponent's defensive midfielder), whose main job was the hold the ball up, win headers, and create space for the proper striker. Of course, as the Premier League got more sophisticated, it became near impossible to play this sort of player. But then last season, we saw a new model in the form of Troy Deeney, someone who could win all of the physical battles and hold the ball up, but who also had the quality to get on the ball and find his strike partner (which made Ighalo look incredible).

To be honest, as Barkley has shown himself either unwilling, unable or it's just not his game to stay in and around the final third to offer support to Lukaku then why not change tack. If top drawer No 10's are few and far between/cost shitloads/ only really play for or want to play for top level clubs then maybe Koeman has decided it's time to look at different approaches so we at least compete in games a lot more.

January 11, 2017, 10:46:45 PM
Reply #26

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I was thinking he looks a bit meh but kramer has just inadvertently sold me on him
Heisenberg thoughts on Lukaku :
If he was English his value would be 10-15.

January 11, 2017, 10:50:28 PM
Reply #27

stirlingblue

Apparently he can play wide as well so he may be able to do similar by pulling wide and winning the ball like Arnautovic or Antonio does

January 11, 2017, 10:51:34 PM
Reply #28

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Maybe Barkley will be used wide more often as he has recently, on occasion; especially if there aren't too many wide options out there.

January 11, 2017, 10:52:35 PM
Reply #29

blue1948

Or a Fellaini ;)
I f he is as good that will do me or was that a facetious remark that fell on deaf ears