August 22, 2017, 09:46:21 PM

Author Topic: [News]Blues bid £8.5m for Algerian striker  (Read 1936 times)

January 11, 2017, 10:54:14 PM
Reply #30

blue1948

You've beat me to it. Some of our most exciting football involved Fellaini in that role in Moyes last season. This is a good option to have and adds something different. We've seen last year Lukaku excelling when paired with another big guy upfront in the form of Kone. Maybe this guy can add what Kone did plus have a bit more elegance and technical ability.

We don't just need players that can slot into our first 11, we need players of this ilk that could provide a plan B off the bench. That is of course if he is any good at doing anything I've just said.

Walsh might just have a fetish for Algerian men
Well at least it is another muslim

deCoubertin

January 11, 2017, 10:55:23 PM
Reply #31

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

January 11, 2017, 10:56:05 PM
Reply #32

blue1948

I was thinking he looks a bit meh but kramer has just inadvertently sold me on him
You are too easily pleased !

January 11, 2017, 10:57:10 PM
Reply #33

kramer0

Maybe Barkley will be used wide more often as he has recently, on occasion; especially if there aren't too many wide options out there.

I know I say this every time it comes up but... I'm really enjoying the Barkley-out-wide experiment. He's playing much better in that position under Koeman than he did under Martinez, albeit only for short periods of time.

I really hope Koeman doesn't abandon the idea because I think it's worth exploring further.

January 11, 2017, 10:57:11 PM
Reply #34

Ross

Will he actually qualify for a work permit?

Clearly he's not in the Algerian national teams plans and that's one of the main criteria for unknown footballers isn't it.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

January 11, 2017, 10:57:19 PM
Reply #35

blue1948

Apparently he can play wide as well so he may be able to do similar by pulling wide and winning the ball like Arnautovic or Antonio does
Or a Mirallas or Lennon

January 11, 2017, 10:57:53 PM
Reply #36

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Clearly he's not in the Algerian national teams plans and that's one of the main criteria for unknown footballers isn't it.

He has a French passport apparently.

January 11, 2017, 11:00:31 PM
Reply #37

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber

Now we can line our brown work permit envelope with cash rather than trying to win them over with tasteful boudoir pics of Kenwright and Moyes.   

January 11, 2017, 11:07:02 PM
Reply #38

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Maybe Barkley will be used wide more often as he has recently, on occasion; especially if there aren't too many wide options out there.

I dream of a midfield 3

MS    IG
       RB
   IB RL KM
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 11, 2017, 11:07:27 PM
Reply #39

ally2

Negative : he has the squad number 99
Positive : he rocks the lamb chops

January 11, 2017, 11:14:02 PM
Reply #40

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
This is from when he went to Inter...

https://www.whoscored.com/News/qmkndqbWEkuNmQ10HGJlYg/Show/Player-Focus-Can-Belfodil-Emulate-his-Former-Inter-Icons

Interestingly he's had a "Mirallas" incident, also missing but scoring the rebound and then shushing his own bench :eh:

Fortunately he apologised :)

Anyway some interesting stuff on his playing characteristics.

January 11, 2017, 11:16:31 PM
Reply #41

Bluedylan

He can't be any worse than Vincent Janssen and he cost 17m.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

January 11, 2017, 11:25:11 PM
Reply #42

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
[Warning: Most of you aren't going to like this and rightfully so. You'll see why if you read on.]

This could be to fulfill a very specific tactical role. From what little I can tell, Belfodil is big, works hard, but has some technical ability to go with it. [Here's where it gets bad.] I remember reading something from a Stoke supporter talking about Stoke's best football under Pulis [told you it was going to be bad] and one of the tactical quirks he mentioned was that they used to play with a sort of "false 10", a target man who played a little deeper than the traditional target man forward position (basically man-marking the opponent's defensive midfielder), whose main job was the hold the ball up, win headers, and create space for the proper striker. Of course, as the Premier League got more sophisticated, it became near impossible to play this sort of player. But then last season, we saw a new model in the form of Troy Deeney, someone who could win all of the physical battles and hold the ball up, but who also had the quality to get on the ball and find his strike partner (which made Ighalo look incredible).

We know that Walsh has had at least a passing interest in Deeney (he was linked heavily with Leicester before Walsh left and was even with us tenuously). So maybe this is Walsh's ploy to get a Deeney-like player, someone who can get a hold of longer passes to get us up the field but who also has a touch of quality to set-up Lukaku or beat his man 1 v. 1 and create a favorable attacking situation elsewhere.  I know that's not very inspiring and that, all things being equal, we'd rather dominate possession but we need some way of getting a foothold against some of the better sides in the league while we work on what we do with the ball. (Or maybe Koeman is just Dutch Pulis.)

So yeah, this isn't anywhere near what I'd hoped we'd do in this window. But I guess we just have to trust Walsh's process for now.

That sounds great to me.  A more mobile version of Fellaini, with hopefully more careful elbows.  I said last season that Troy Deeney would be a great partner for Lukaku, and anyone who could do the same kind of stuff would be on the right track. 

And at a whole 1m cheaper than Niasse what's the worst that could come of it?
Feeling old.  Looking older.

January 12, 2017, 12:40:17 AM
Reply #43

WeimaranerBlues

Seem of similar ilk to Ulloa target man type