November 19, 2017, 05:45:53 AM

Author Topic: [News]Donovan close to signing  (Read 8900 times)

December 11, 2009, 07:26:43 PM
Reply #15

Dr. Sponge

I'm from the states, and I've been an Everton fan for just over a year now.  As you might expect I am pretty excited about Landon going to play for us.  I'm not a huge consumer of the MLS, but he is soccer's representative here.  He is a massively popular and famous player, so you can expect some ulterior buzz and awareness in the US for Everton, which is a bonus to his obvious ability that hopefully we'll get to see.

Here's a video: Top 20 goals

The goal against Brazil was a good'n

deCoubertin

December 11, 2009, 09:49:04 PM
Reply #16

Bluescouse1

Good idea Myesie
midfield awful, no defends in the centre,
we have 4 strikers at the moment, we may loose the Yak to Africa soon.
we can use Cahill and Feliani up front so at least 5 ehh.
I know says David
Lets go out and get a striker in on loan
the lads we have would score week in week out
if we had a decent midfielder to give them the fookin ball for gods sake

December 11, 2009, 10:41:30 PM
Reply #17

Chris

Administrator
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1235080/Everton-face-competition-sign-David-Beckham-pal-Landon-Donovan-claim-LA-Galaxy.html

'I can't tell you too much just now because we are just finalising things but I think we will be able to confirm it one way or another in the next week or two,' said Moyes.

'I'd rather talk about him in a couple of weeks and not at this present time in case I don't get him.'

December 11, 2009, 11:00:37 PM
Reply #18

cantoffee

Good idea Myesie
I know says David

He's not an out and out striker though, he's very capable in anywhere midfield, although he's best when played behind the striker. He'll give us numbers and some pace and more than likely get his shot to play out on the right side. I'm happy with it, although not expecting too much because he won't have time to settle anyways, so his impact will likely be limited.

December 12, 2009, 04:21:09 AM
Reply #19

Bluescouse1

So he does the same job as Cahiil and Fella.
Look, the guy looks a good prospect
But we need defenders desparetly

December 12, 2009, 04:48:00 AM
Reply #20

cantoffee

So he does the same job as Cahiil and Fella.
Look, the guy looks a good prospect
But we need defenders desparetly
We can only go for what's available and we desperately need pace. It's also not like we can't get a defender in, there might be none available, or it may not have hit the papers yet. Give it time, it's still early december.

December 12, 2009, 05:24:05 PM
Reply #21

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Good idea Myesie
I know says David

4 strikers?
Injured Vaughan, Injured Anichebe and Yak gone in January, I count that as leaving 2 strikers. Plus Donovan can play on either wing, an area where we aren't well stocked.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

December 12, 2009, 05:33:46 PM
Reply #22

Dr. Sponge

Good idea Myesie
I know says David

It's not like we're getting him INSTEAD of a defender. He's on loan and so will cost nothing except wages, so what's the problem?

I trust that they will be looking for other players too, its just this one has been made public.

December 12, 2009, 07:08:41 PM
Reply #23

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Good idea Myesie
I know says David

It's not like we're getting him INSTEAD of a defender. He's on loan and so will cost nothing except wages, so what's the problem?

I trust that they will be looking for other players too, its just this one has been made public.

While I agree that he could be a good addition, there are limits aren't there in the number of loanees we can bring in aren't there? So IF thats the case then we sorta kinda are getting a forward in lieu of a defender.

December 14, 2009, 01:09:40 AM
Reply #24

bedfordtoffee

When I was on holiday in the Caribbean an American guy approached us in a bar and was desperate to talk about  'soccer'. He says they love the Premieeership in the US!!!. When we asked him who he supported, I couldn't believe when he said Everton. Of course, he loves Timmy H. Hopefully signing Landon Donovan will increase our profile in the States. I think Brian McBride was superb, but yellow Yank Joe Max Moore less so.
Bedfordblueboy

December 14, 2009, 01:16:15 AM
Reply #25

toffee_scot

When I was on holiday in the Caribbean an American guy approached us in a bar and was desperate to talk about  'soccer'. He says they love the Premieeership in the US!!!. When we asked him who he supported, I couldn't believe when he said Everton. Of course, he loves Timmy H. Hopefully signing Landon Donovan will increase our profile in the States. I think Brian McBride was superb, but yellow Yank Joe Max Moore less so.

Indeed, it seems like the sort of signing that would boost our profile in the USA, the club seems very determined to make an impact there. It would also be quite exciting for the likes of Peterlin and Arnoux to be training with one of the most well known players from the USA.

December 14, 2009, 01:35:13 AM
Reply #26

Endless, Nameless

Why can't people understand that by getting in a midfielder, it is good for the defense. It allows us to use the versatility of players like Heitinga and move them into defense.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

December 14, 2009, 03:47:50 AM
Reply #27

slothzen

I'm from the US, and I really think that Everton has great potential to be popular here.  I was turned on by the history and English feel of the team.  It's attractive that this team somehow feels universal, but at the same time incorruptible.  It feels so much more authentic than teams like Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U.  That's the draw, and it will only get more attractive with Donovan.  I briefly followed Tottenham, Liverpool and Aston Villa before seeing Everton win over West Ham on November 8th 2008.  Such heart.  I was hooked.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:50:19 AM by slothzen »

December 14, 2009, 05:12:27 AM
Reply #28

Endless, Nameless

I'm from the US, and I really think that Everton has great potential to be popular here.  I was turned on by the history and English feel of the team.  It's attractive that this team somehow feels universal, but at the same time incorruptible.  It feels so much more authentic than teams like Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U.  That's the draw, and it will only get more attractive with Donovan.  I briefly followed Tottenham, Liverpool and Aston Villa before seeing Everton win over West Ham on November 8th 2008.  Such heart.  I was hooked.

Good to hear mate. Football is about more than trophies and money and it is more than just a sport. Everton are one of very few teams that realise this and Everton fans are a cut above the likes of most Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool fans.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

December 14, 2009, 05:38:05 AM
Reply #29

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber

Outstanding stuff friend  :cheers: