October 22, 2018, 12:32:09 AM

Author Topic: [News]Everton agree Belfodil deal  (Read 14697 times)

January 12, 2017, 10:44:50 PM
Reply #105

cantoffee

My only concern with that thread is that he says he's not good at penalties but that we have Lukaku and Mirallas so don't worry!

January 12, 2017, 10:58:50 PM
Reply #106

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
My momma says I'm special.

January 12, 2017, 10:59:51 PM
Reply #107

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Can't be that close if he's playing in a game, especially a friendly.

January 12, 2017, 11:00:32 PM
Reply #108

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
And Konstantinos Laifis sounds like a stage name for a Ladbible type comedian character.

January 12, 2017, 11:13:06 PM
Reply #109

hill135

Have to say I'm not really sold on this guy. Not assed either way.

It can't be too much to ask to find a player who does the dirty work and makes the ball stick but also knows where the net is, can it?

January 12, 2017, 11:28:34 PM
Reply #110

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Friendly being shown here:

January 12, 2017, 11:51:52 PM
Reply #111

kramer0

It can't be too much to ask to find a player who does the dirty work and makes the ball stick but also knows where the net is, can it?

How many players in world football can you think of that fit this description?

Don't worry about them being feasible transfer targets for Everton.

January 13, 2017, 12:07:28 AM
Reply #112

Ridge

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170112_02670616

Quote from: Belgian newsamibob
Belfodil away at Standard? He is simply the basis for a friendly match

An unannounced surprise at Standard: Belfodil, who is in his final hours at Standard, was Thursday night at the start of the friendly match against Borussia Dortmund. However, today there would be an official announcement about his transfer to Everton.

Coach Jankovic has Belfodil given a place in the friendly match against Borussia Dortmund. He takes the place of Edmilson, who still suffer from the thigh. Or maybe it's a birthday gift, the Algerian has 25 today.

January 13, 2017, 01:11:31 AM
Reply #113

hill135

How many players in world football can you think of that fit this description?

Don't worry about them being feasible transfer targets for Everton.

I'm not talking mega-goals, but 7,8,10 a season or so.

I don't think these players are that rare. Even that carthorse Andy Carroll knows where the goal is.

We keep seeing in Lukaku threads that he needs to improve his hold up play and his physicality generally as people feel these should be pre-requisites for strikers of a certain size. I'm not that keen on the Heskey-style 'big lump' forward who never scores but 'makes the team better' because ultimately you have to sacrifice something to accommodate them in the lineup (in this instance probably Barkley to the bench).

January 13, 2017, 02:01:24 AM
Reply #114

kramer0

I'm not talking mega-goals, but 7,8,10 a season or so.

I don't think these players are that rare. Even that carthorse Andy Carroll knows where the goal is.

We keep seeing in Lukaku threads that he needs to improve his hold up play and his physicality generally as people feel these should be pre-requisites for strikers of a certain size. I'm not that keen on the Heskey-style 'big lump' forward who never scores but 'makes the team better' because ultimately you have to sacrifice something to accommodate them in the lineup (in this instance probably Barkley to the bench).

Ah, fair enough.

Given those numbers, I don't think Belfodil is terribly far off what you're talking about. When he's been used properly, he's pretty much hit those targets -- 8 goals for Parma in Serie A and 6 goals in his half-season at Standard. Sure, it's not particularly inspiring that he went into the wilderness for a few years but that sort of thing can happen to a young player. If he gets minutes at Everton, I think his goal return will be somewhere in that 7-10 goal range (over a full season's worth of games, of course). Koeman's teams play a lot of crosses and Belfodil appears to be pretty good on headed attempts. That alone should be worth a few extra goals.

I don't think anyone is arguing with your second point. A big lump that's only there to win flick-ons and hold the ball is too big of a sacrifice in today's game, especially given how much the quality of play in the PL has improved over the past five years. The reason I think Belfodil will ultimately be okay is because he's not just a one-dimensional workhorse. He's also a good dribbler and, according to some Standard supporters, is very involved in their build-up play as a passer. I watched a little bit of the Standard/Dortmund friendly today and, in the instances where this guy was able to get on the ball (Dortmund suffocated most of the meaningful space on the pitch for the majority of the match), he really does glide with it. Not that he's a particularly brilliant technician or anything but I wouldn't write off that aspect of his game.

As for Belfodil potentially keeping Barkley out of the team... I would be slightly concerned about this but it does seem like Koeman is making an effort to find an alternative role for him. Ross has been asked to play a bit wider during some of our recent matches and he's actually looked quite good. Under Martinez, it seemed like Barkley was asked, or maybe just forced by the opposing team, to hug the touchline and try to run at players, which he wasn't very good at with the sideline as an extra defender. Under Koeman, he's played the wide position more like a Pienaar/Osman, drifting into the half-spaces and making use of all of the options that he has in that area. I think (and maybe this is a bit wishful) that Belfodil is more likely to keep Lennon/Mirallas/Valencia out of the team.

I'm not 100% sold on the move either (there's a very high risk of failure for this guy) but I'm very intrigued by the prospect of what he might bring. Part of this is me imagining us becoming a supercharged version of Moyes' last Everton side, with a superior midfield (Gana/Schneiderlin instead of Neville/Osman/Gibson), Belfodil playing a Fellaini-esque #10 (with a little extra flair and hopefully less petulance), Barkley as a Pienaar-type wide player (minus the foul-winning ability/telepathy but with added dribbling/shooting powers), and Lukaku as a better forward than Anichebe, Jelavic, and Vellios combined. Maybe it's a bit ridiculous to hope for all that but I don't think it's totally unreasonable.

(The only problem with the aforementioned  team is that the backline looks awful compared to what it was in 2012-13, minus the much improved Coleman.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:10:41 AM by kramer0 »

January 13, 2017, 02:09:23 AM
Reply #115

plumber

Almost scored here.
He's probably not as bad as I expected. And faster than looks in Youtube videos.

January 13, 2017, 02:15:11 AM
Reply #116

Ridge

I understand the disappointment at sacrificing Barkley's place in the team, but I don't think he can justify such a pivotal position. Anyway, it sounds like a perfect odd couple tag team who's paths will rarely meet, aerial threat or dance contest, neither can play 90 mins.

PL fans have never liked front men like Heskey, but he was a pioneer, now loads of teams demand graft above goals and link up play as key. His movement into channels and his creating space for others like a false 9 would have been much more appreciated today. He played like a man who never really wanted to play upfront.

January 13, 2017, 02:29:22 AM
Reply #117

Mayor Farnum

Can't believe we can't find that type of player in the UK. Bringing players in from abroad just adds to the overall gamble that is every transfer.

January 13, 2017, 02:30:08 AM
Reply #118

howard1334

Ah, fair enough.

Given those numbers, I don't think Belfodil is terribly far off what you're talking about. When he's been used properly, he's pretty much hit those targets -- 8 goals for Parma in Serie A and 6 goals in his half-season at Standard. Sure, it's not particularly inspiring that he went into the wilderness for a few years but that sort of thing can happen to a young player. If he gets minutes at Everton, I think his goal return will be somewhere in that 7-10 goal range (over a full season's worth of games, of course). Koeman's teams play a lot of crosses and Belfodil appears to be pretty good on headed attempts. That alone should be worth a few extra goals.

I don't think anyone is arguing with your second point. A big lump that's only there to win flick-ons and hold the ball is too big of a sacrifice in today's game, especially given how much the quality of play in the PL has improved over the past five years. The reason I think Belfodil will ultimately be okay is because he's not just a one-dimensional workhorse. He's also a good dribbler and, according to some Standard supporters, is very involved in their build-up play as a passer. I watched a little bit of the Standard/Dortmund friendly today and, in the instances where this guy was able to get on the ball (Dortmund suffocated most of the meaningful space on the pitch for the majority of the match), he really does glide with it. Not that he's a particularly brilliant technician or anything but I wouldn't write off that aspect of his game.

As for Belfodil potentially keeping Barkley out of the team... I would be slightly concerned about this but it does seem like Koeman is making an effort to find an alternative role for him. Ross has been asked to play a bit wider during some of our recent matches and he's actually looked quite good. Under Martinez, it seemed like Barkley was asked, or maybe just forced by the opposing team, to hug the touchline and try to run at players, which he wasn't very good at with the sideline as an extra defender. Under Koeman, he's played the wide position more like a Pienaar/Osman, drifting into the half-spaces and making use of all of the options that he has in that area. I think (and maybe this is a bit wishful) that Belfodil is more likely to keep Lennon/Mirallas/Valencia out of the team.

I'm not 100% sold on the move either (there's a very high risk of failure for this guy) but I'm very intrigued by the prospect of what he might bring. Part of this is me imagining us becoming a supercharged version of Moyes' last Everton side, with a superior midfield (Gana/Schneiderlin instead of Neville/Osman/Gibson), Belfodil playing a Fellaini-esque #10 (with a little extra flair and hopefully less petulance), Barkley as a Pienaar-type wide player (minus the foul-winning ability/telepathy but with added dribbling/shooting powers), and Lukaku as a better forward than Anichebe, Jelavic, and Vellios combined. Maybe it's a bit ridiculous to hope for all that but I don't think it's totally unreasonable.

(The only problem with the aforementioned  team is that the backline looks awful compared to what it was in 2012-13, minus the much improved Coleman.)

If he he can chip in with 8 - 15 goals in all competitions, that would be plently for me. Any more, and you would expect him to be on the move elsewhere. But if he comes here, he does need to score some goals. Even Heskey hit 10 in all comps fairly regularly, and average over 10 goals a season for over a decade.

January 13, 2017, 03:42:00 AM
Reply #119

Running Blue

If he he can chip in with 8 - 15 goals in all competitions, that would be plently for me. Any more, and you would expect him to be on the move elsewhere. But if he comes here, he does need to score some goals. Even Heskey hit 10 in all comps fairly regularly, and average over 10 goals a season for over a decade.

Fifteen goals would have put him level with Defoe and Ighalo last year, one behind Giroud, two behind Mahrez, and three behind Lukaku.  That constitutes a little more than "chipping in."
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:46:38 AM by Running Blue »