September 23, 2018, 09:06:55 PM

Author Topic: No More Mister Nice Guy.  (Read 3503 times)

September 20, 2010, 09:49:42 PM
Read 3503 times

Les Trebilcock

The gloves are off, David Moyes today revealed it's time to roll back the years and get down to his old brass tactics. He says,  "Maybe I need to get tougher with them. Maybe I need to go back to some of the old ways. We'll soon see what they're like then. I've been telling them for a long time that they are good players and a good team. Maybe I need to change what I am telling them. They have to earn the right to play for this team."

And Moyes, who admitted after the game (against Newcastle) that he himself would have been booing, said the performance has shocked him into action.

"This was certainly our poorest performance since last year and that has been the biggest shock for me. So now is the time when I have to do something about it. We're capable of so much more and it's in times like this that the lead comes from the manager. So I have to be the one who has to change my outlook in what I expect from them from now on."

So, the gauntlet has been slapped, how will the squad react - Evertonians are currently on the canvas, the team looks punchy, our league position is looking Rocky - remember Sylvester Stallone sitting next to Kill Bill - a definite air of expendability has arisen today, it's time to stand-up and be counted.

Les D

The article can be found here:

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/everton-fc/1210782-moyes-ill-go-back-to-the-old-ways.html

You can take that to the bank.

September 20, 2010, 09:56:16 PM
Reply #1

dunkster

so is that back to the "thumpers and grafter"s that moyes had originally? maybe get carsley and graveson to come back and partnrt phil neville in the midfield.
have we too many players who try to play decent football, let down by average joes who break up the fluidity.

[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

September 20, 2010, 09:56:24 PM
Reply #2

nomorechang

RIP
I hope there are some players with badly kicked arses and cauliflower ears .. those multi millionaire overpaid children have let us down badly this season .... " EARN   Your Fucking Money you idle bastards !!!! "
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

September 20, 2010, 10:16:07 PM
Reply #3

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Who's going to kick Moyes up the arse?

But it's good to hear he may finally be doing something proactive.

It's going to take a lot to win me round though.
"If you believe it will work out, you’ll see opportunities. If you believe it won’t, you will see obstacles." – Wayne Dyer

September 20, 2010, 10:18:26 PM
Reply #4

cantoffee

Good to hear that, hopefully we see some real changes and benefits to the team, hopefully Moyes learns from his mistakes this time for more than a 2 or 3 month period.

September 20, 2010, 10:44:39 PM
Reply #5

Les Trebilcock

Your expectations don't need to change, your tactics and approach to football matches needs to

I agree with that, Si - 100%

What worries me is -  why, after such a longevity at Everton does such a true statement have to be aired. Did anyone notice the single comment :-

"dave your players and your system they play, you are the most negative manger in the premiership"

Is David Moyes a leopard who can't change his negative spots.

Les D

September 20, 2010, 10:46:46 PM
Reply #6

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Who said anything about winning or not?

It seems pretty clear to me that his approach to the players has been to encourage them by reminding them of how "good" they are.

That approach looks to have led some of them to believe that they can just turn up and win.

I'd guess that this week will involve reminding them about doing the ugly things like running and tackling.

Some of the team selections certainly didn't help on Saturday and some were glaringly a hinderance, but that's all they should have been. The players should still be doing the basics. As NMC said in another thread, none of the out of position players were completely alien to their roles and nor were the other players unaccustomed to seeing them there.

Saturday was a very clear case of collective responsibility. All must improve, starting tomorrow.

September 20, 2010, 11:11:56 PM
Reply #7

nomorechang

RIP
Good post GL , another thing I take issue with is this negative tag ,, except for Saturday the majority of games we play we have more possession and more attempts on goal than our opposition and we have done for the last year or so including when we've faced Utd , Chelsea , Man city , We have played some great football .. admittedly it was back to hoofball against Newcastle but we played some great stuff against Utd  , The old hoofball game has long gone
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

September 20, 2010, 11:16:21 PM
Reply #8

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Good post GL , another thing I take issue with is this negative tag ,, except for Saturday the majority of games we play we have more possession and more attempts on goal than our opposition and we have done for the last year or so including when we've faced Utd , Chelsea , Man city , We have played some great football .. admittedly it was back to hoofball against Newcastle but we played some great stuff against Utd  , The old hoofball game has long gone

I actually think that there wasn't enough "hoofball" against Newcastle.

In the first half it was clear we were struggling to break through their midfield for one reason or another and that Beckford wasn't getting the type of service he naturally would want.

If played correctly (ie with accurate balls to Felli) we could have been looking to bypass their midfield and flick the ball on to Beckford.

This was especially the case with our own goal kicks or free kicks deep in our own half. We spent ages trying to pass it to Jags or Distin only once they had it, there was no other option but to whack it whilst under pressure.

September 20, 2010, 11:41:52 PM
Reply #9

Les Trebilcock

For me, the negativity is obvious. Moyes' mould is firstly of containment, then see what transpires. Newcastle played Carroll & Arfa (and they're away). David Moyes chooses one striker (and he's at home). We pass, we move, (like every team) we try to play football. Playing football isn't quantum physics - it's simple.

Moyes plan goes awry, we're 0-1 down, Davie now knows a jugular response is required so he brings out his dead. Coleman to add urgency & drive, the Yak to be predatory.

Nothing wrong with that, you might say - I say, why not show a real winning desire from the onset.

It's consistantly negative & counter-productive to pull fire out of the ashes most weeks. Surely Moyes must be aware that his balls are on the line too much. Trying a comeback against Blackburn. Failing to put Wolves to bed. Trying a comeback against Villa. Drawing against Man Utd by the skin of their teeth. Needing another comeback against Newcastle but failing.

The pattern is frighteningly obvious.

Les D

September 20, 2010, 11:43:08 PM
Reply #10

dunkster

i dont think (newcastle game aside) we have any problem at all in passing from front to back. Even the first 30 minutes against united, we outpassed them completely. And held siege to the villa defence.
Our problem isnt here, its the final third.
In the final third, we are so slow its laughable. We get the ball into a decent crossing position and somehow it ends up back with Distin. The simple quick one-two that teams like Arsenal play, that carves through the defence dont seem to enter our heads. Now and again we provide it down the left when pienaar and baines combine with quick, short passing. Whats worse is that having driven the opposition back into their own box, we dont possess anyone who can provide a decent shot at goal from range. Ben arfa turned and smashed his shot from range. But we rarely achieve it.
cahill has nowhere near the same affect trying to head in a crowded box. A one-on-one header from a cross via a quick breakout and i would put my money on him, but rarely where there are several players there with him.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

September 20, 2010, 11:52:44 PM
Reply #11

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
This isn't meant as a broad attack on Moyes but on the "negative" point... the thing that most underlined that for me on Saturday was the Coleman > Hibbert substitution.

Clearly the logic in this case is:
Moyes believed Coleman is more of an attacking threat than Hibbert.

Now I'm not getting into whether the above statement is true/false but barring injury to Hibbert that had to be Moyes' mindset. If that is his logic and in this case:

a. We're the home team.
b. We're playing a team we should be looking for 3pts against.

Why is he not playing him from the outset unless it is a case of containment first, scoring second?

Do we need to be a goal down before we take off the handbrake and take a more positive approach to a team setup?

September 21, 2010, 12:14:28 AM
Reply #12

dunkster

Was glad about the actual swaps he made against newcastle though. Loved seeing the yak and coleman coming on at the start of the second half as opposed to waiting until we went 3-1 down like the man utd game. Having said that, they were two players i would rather have started.
 Had we been winning after an hour or so, i wouldnt have minded replacing them with the two that they replaced on saturday. (hibbert and beckford) And this is because that would have been a more defensive option to defend a lead. And there lies the problem for me. Its all the wrong way around. (Defend first and attack only when we are losing.)
As has been said, - We were at home, in need of points, against a newly promoted team. That is what has fucked fans off more than anything.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

September 21, 2010, 12:20:37 AM
Reply #13

Gareth

He said exactly the same thing last year.

September 21, 2010, 12:24:56 AM
Reply #14

dunkster

The gloves are off, David Moyes today revealed it's time to roll back the years and get down to his old brass tactics. He says,  "Maybe I need to get tougher with them. Maybe I need to go back to some of the old ways. We'll soon see what they're like then. I've been telling them for a long time that they are good players and a good team. Maybe I need to change what I am telling them. They have to earn the right to play for this team."

And Moyes, who admitted after the game (against Newcastle) that he himself would have been booing, said the performance has shocked him into action.

"This was certainly our poorest performance since last year and that has been the biggest shock for me. So now is the time when I have to do something about it. We're capable of so much more and it's in times like this that the lead comes from the manager. So I have to be the one who has to change my outlook in what I expect from them from now on."

So, the gauntlet has been slapped, how will the squad react - Evertonians are currently on the canvas, the team looks punchy, our league position is looking Rocky - remember Sylvester Stallone sitting next to Kill Bill - a definite air of expendability has arisen today, it's time to stand-up and be counted.

Les D

The article can be found here:

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/everton-fc/1210782-moyes-ill-go-back-to-the-old-ways.html

So what exactly are you going to change then Davey????? Neville for Hibbert.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]