October 15, 2019, 11:42:07 AM

Author Topic: The new keeper thread - who do you want / who's realistic  (Read 8453 times)

January 17, 2017, 02:47:12 AM
Reply #30

Ari

If Joel Robles were a reserve keeper for Atlético Madrid we'd be talking about buying him to Everton for 15 mills.

Realistically I would play him this season and I think he is slowly getting better and better with more experience. 

January 17, 2017, 02:49:18 AM
Reply #31

Jamokachi

If Joel Robles were a reserve keeper for Atlético Madrid we'd be talking about buying him to Everton for 15 mills.

Realistically I would play him this season and I think he is slowly getting better and better with more experience. 

He may be getting better than he was last season (and I think the new GK coach is a massive part of this), but he's still nowhere near the level we want if we're serious about being CL (and more) contenders.

January 17, 2017, 02:55:23 AM
Reply #32

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

January 17, 2017, 03:02:18 AM
Reply #33

Ari

He may be getting better than he was last season (and I think the new GK coach is a massive part of this), but he's still nowhere near the level we want if we're serious about being CL (and more) contenders.

5 years ago he was eaqually as good as De Gea and Courtois.  All three were at Atlético Madrid at one time.  They have developed into world class goalies and he might just might be a late developer... just saying...

January 17, 2017, 03:03:33 AM
Reply #34

BlueBeagle

5 years ago he was eaqually as good as De Gea and Courtois

Obviously not as one was only on loan there from Chelsea, one went to United for big money and one went to fucking Wigan on loan then Everton for peanuts.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:08:18 AM by BlueBeagle »

January 17, 2017, 03:10:38 AM
Reply #35

Ross

Obviously not as one was only on loan there from Chelsea, one went to United for big money and one went to fucking Wigan on loan then Everton for peanuts.

Sounds like an alternative ending to the 3 little piggies.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

January 17, 2017, 03:18:59 AM
Reply #36

dekko

5 years ago he was eaqually as good as De Gea and Courtois.  All three were at Atlético Madrid at one time.  They have developed into world class goalies and he might just might be a late developer... just saying...

Doesn't Atlético still have an option to buy him back?

January 17, 2017, 03:20:13 AM
Reply #37

Ari

Ohhh your'e so stupid

Ok I might be wrong...

January 17, 2017, 03:20:16 AM
Reply #38

hill135

literally no idea who would be good or who would be obtainable.

January 17, 2017, 03:21:16 AM
Reply #39

BlueBeagle

Ohhh your'e so stupid
Ok I might be wrong...

Paul Gerrard was at Everton at the same time as Neville Southall, does that mean he's automatically a great keeper like you're saying with Joel and De Gea?

January 17, 2017, 03:21:24 AM
Reply #40

Outworlder47

Mattia Perin was at least a few years ago the next big thing and successor to Buffon.

From the Germans, Leno is I think most highly regarded but that's why he wouldn't have a shortage of suitors. Horn was compared to Karius just last season and Karius hasn't exactly been pulling up trees in the PL so far. Having said that Horn should be a good signing.

Geronimo Rulli, Jack Butland, Sergio Rico and Anthony Lopes have the potential to be top class keepers for a long time.

I would go and try to Butland even at a premium price. He's already proven he's a top keeper in the Premier League over more than one season. Assuming he can clear off his injuries. Perin would be my second choice and Horn probably third, assuming Leno is out of reach.

The top of my "completely unrealistic" list is Gianluigi Donnarumma at Milan. He may cost £40-50M, though, and he's not even 18 until March. I'd hesitate on Perrin until he's proven healthy, unless there's a bargain deal to be had. Butland is proven at the PL level, but he's been injured as well.

January 17, 2017, 03:26:43 AM
Reply #41

Ari

Paul Gerrard was at Everton at the same time as Neville Southall, does that mean he's automatically a great keeper like you're saying with Joel and De Gea?

I was wrong he is rubbish...

January 17, 2017, 03:30:45 AM
Reply #42

Ari

January 17, 2017, 03:32:01 AM
Reply #43

bigmanbob

Foreign keepers are always a risk, IMHO because of the physical side of our game and them having to cope with a lot of crosses.

I always think with a keeper a good steady one who keeps the mistakes to a minimum is a better option than a flashy keeper who is prone to a mistake. Butland or Forster for me, both shown consistency with some moments of brilliance and hardly any mistakes.

January 17, 2017, 03:36:30 AM
Reply #44

Blue Lagoon

NSNO Subscriber
Forster for me.
Have to say though, I can see a very good keeper in Joel Robles. Never thought I'd say that. In fact only a year ago I'd have binned him without a second thought - in fact he worried me every time he started.
Recently though, I get the feeling I may have to eat my original words regarding him and quite frankly I hope he makes me do so.
(Zoolander)