November 18, 2017, 05:03:04 AM

Author Topic: Shite Pre-Seasons  (Read 1979 times)

September 25, 2010, 12:08:08 AM
Read 1979 times

.Rimbo.

What's with them? And no, I'm not jumping on bandwagons because we've had a shit start to the season. We have done the same for the last few years now and even though we've had Lescott situations etc. to distract us surely this must be a reason for our shit starts to the season as well?

Why go to places like Australia and play a bunch of part-timers, or America and play teams who, let's be honest, aren't our level? Why don't we start playing some proper teams and properly start testing ourselves? Okay we may win 1, draw 3 and lose 2 or something but at least the players won't get ahead of themselves and start believing their own hype! At least they'd know they were in for a fight come the start of the season.

Need I remind people that the one very good team we did come up against this pre-season we got absolutely shagged. I'm not bothered about the odd game against a lesser team to build confidence but playing a shitload of easy games isn't beneficial. I don't see the point.

I suppose you can say Moyes is a winner and always wants to win but winners don't win all the time, they win when it matters. I wouldn't mind losing pre-season games against good teams if it meant we started the season in much better shape.

deCoubertin

September 25, 2010, 12:48:40 AM
Reply #1

Ong-Timus Prime

We did! We played a top German side and got beat.
if you know yer history...

September 25, 2010, 12:53:54 AM
Reply #2

.Rimbo.

We did! We played a top German side and got beat.

Yes, we played one team. I mentioned that in my post.

The one good team we played we got fucked! We should be playing 4 or 5 very good teams and testing ourselves in pre-season properly, rather than just having shitty runabouts against farmers and mechanics or whatever.

September 25, 2010, 12:54:40 AM
Reply #3

ToxtethBlue

Possibly the cost of playing big teams? Isn't it more expensive to play bigger teams, and less chance of them being available with lots of teams wanting to play them? I could be wrong though, you could argue we spend alot of money going to places like America and Australia anyway.

Maybe balancing out the amount of running players do. I know they are building fitness but I'm sure there's a point of doing too much and overloading the body. More risk of players breaking down and getting injured so to speak. Playing lesser teams and having more of the ball (less chasing) might balance out all the hard running on the training pitch.

Although I'd much rather we played strong oppoisition,  and agree with what your saying, these could be reasons why we choose to play lesser teams.
ToxtethBlue

September 25, 2010, 12:58:27 AM
Reply #4

Ong-Timus Prime

Money as well - better money playing in the US & Aus probably.
if you know yer history...

September 25, 2010, 01:02:19 AM
Reply #5

.Rimbo.

Possibly the cost of playing big teams? Isn't it more expensive to play bigger teams, and less chance of them being available with lots of teams wanting to play them? I could be wrong though, you could argue we spend alot of money going to places like America and Australia anyway.

Maybe balancing out the amount of running players do. I know they are building fitness but I'm sure there's a point of doing too much and overloading the body. More risk of players breaking down and getting injured so to speak. Playing lesser teams and having more of the ball (less chasing) might balance out all the hard running on the training pitch.

Although I'd much rather we played strong oppoisition,  and agree with what your saying, these could be reasons why we choose to play lesser teams.

I'm not talking about the likes of Barcelona or anything here, just maybe teams on an Atletico Madrid/Wolfsburg level. Surely if we play better teams that would increase our attendances and revenue as well rather than playing the likes of Everton Chile. Also, it'd be nice for the fans to have a few European trips considering we aren't in Europe at the moment.

I know what you're saying about the fitness levels too. I'm not saying every game has to be against Brazil or Ajax '70 or anything, just four or five games in a pre-season against good opposition.

And not only that, the current system we have isn't working. So like a lot of things Everton at the moment, we have nothing the fuck to lose next year. We might as well.

September 25, 2010, 01:15:12 AM
Reply #6

.Rimbo.

this

had exactly this conversation with Bob earlier today, after someone else had mentioned it to him

we should be playing 4 or 5 sides like Wolfsburg every pre-season so that we are playing at the level needed to start the Premier League

we hammered everyone we played at a canter except Wolfsburg this season, so it was clear we weren't up to pace - and the defeat may even have knocked our confidence a touch, what with it being 3 days before the start of the season!

That's another thing I didn't get! Why play the Wolfsburg game (the potential confidence-crusher) as the last game before the new season?! Surely it'd be more logical to play that early on so if we did get raped we could play a few lesser teams and get the confidence back up before the new season? Especially considering it meant flying out shortly before the opening day of the new campaign.

September 25, 2010, 01:15:27 AM
Reply #7

.Rimbo.

What was Latchford's view Si?

September 25, 2010, 01:25:08 AM
Reply #8

ToxtethBlue

I'm not talking about the likes of Barcelona or anything here, just maybe teams on an Atletico Madrid/Wolfsburg level. Surely if we play better teams that would increase our attendances and revenue as well rather than playing the likes of Everton Chile. Also, it'd be nice for the fans to have a few European trips considering we aren't in Europe at the moment.

I know what you're saying about the fitness levels too. I'm not saying every game has to be against Brazil or Ajax '70 or anything, just four or five games in a pre-season against good opposition.

And not only that, the current system we have isn't working. So like a lot of things Everton at the moment, we have nothing the fuck to lose next year. We might as well.

I wouldn't disagree with you, and I'd much rather see us playing better teams, I think it'd benefit us, especially without the exposure of European football. Having tougher games and seeing how our players compare.

Just putting forward reasons why Moyes might go for lesser teams, but even those reasons, if they are valid, would be debatable, considering the amount of money we spend to go to places like America and Australia.

Good point on revenue aswell.
ToxtethBlue

September 25, 2010, 01:49:42 AM
Reply #9

Rhys

We played over in the USA before the 04/05 and 06/07 seasons when we had terrific starts so it doesn't always follow.

September 25, 2010, 02:02:47 PM
Reply #10

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
We certainly went to Aus because they paid us decent money, no other reason.

I would rather play more better teams though. I don't mind the odd one against local sh*te but we should be being tested more.

I wonder if we've been put off after the Fenerbaçhe experience.

September 25, 2010, 02:41:53 PM
Reply #11

fast lane

I was wondering about this too.

Flying all over the place earning air-miles against lesser opposition may earn us some money, and money we need, we all know abou that.

But so do tournaments in Europe, they can be lucrative too.

The last time I can remember us partaking in one was when Paul Power had just been signed by us. (yes, that long ago)
We were in the Rotterdam (Feyenoord) tournament and I was reading about it whilst on holiday in Croatia.
It really struck me at the time because
a) I didn't even know we were playing it (pre-internet days) and
b) I'd never heard of Paul Power

My point being, partaking in these tournaments can be lucrative too, less air-miles (fatigue) and more competition (to get us up to speed)

I got really fed up by the commentators on Everton tv creaming their kecks because of such a great pre-season...yeah, against shit opposition.

I can't help feeling this all plays a role in our becoming notorious slow starters
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

September 25, 2010, 05:14:25 PM
Reply #12

Father Mcnulty

Preseason fixtures overseas are commercial opportuities. Both America and USA, and indeed Africa have growing enterprises where football is concerned and our main focus was probably to tap into those potentially lucrative markets. Flying a whole squad of players and staff around the world, in probably first or business class must draw on quite a few of our resources, so there must be profit coming from somewhere.
Our biggest headache this season was the World Cup. We had lots of players representing their countries, and getting them to come down and focus on their job is a job in itself.

We've played some good football. We've just not had the rub, and the last 2 matches have probably been a big wake up to find inspiration. We'll be ok.

September 27, 2010, 01:07:34 PM
Reply #13

Rick@OZ

We played Sydney and beat them 1-0 they are currently bottom of the Australian A league without a win.in their first 5 games, we played Melbourne Heart and beat them 2-0 they are second last in the same league. Evertons reserves should be beating these teams by 5 or 6 goals any day of the week and we come away and say that pre season has been very productive. ( I dont fuckin think so )
EVERTON THE PEOPLES CLUB

September 27, 2010, 02:13:45 PM
Reply #14

Sharky

Id like to see us do a classic preseason and just stay in the uk. Play tranmere for fitness. Then play the top teams in division one like cardif, notts forrest etc. Maybee celtic/rangers

Why should the players get holidays to america/australia instead of a proper preseason?

Three Lions on a shirt, Jules Rimet still gleaming.