November 22, 2017, 03:17:06 PM

Author Topic: "I nearly bought Everton"  (Read 2875 times)

October 14, 2010, 09:00:37 PM
Read 2875 times

cad

Chris Evans, a few minutes ago on R5Live.

Did I miss this one?

Shame, or well swerved?
veni veni veni

Don't worry yourself into an early grave...it will happen soon enough.

deCoubertin

October 14, 2010, 09:03:38 PM
Reply #1

Jamokachi

Yea. His book will be worth a read that's for sure.

I don't know much about the ins and outs of what happened, but he came very close. Not sure if it had of been a good thing or not, but he hasn't done a bad job with his other business ventures!

October 14, 2010, 09:14:03 PM
Reply #2

.Rimbo.

The red-haired fella with the glasses is this?

Where's he getting the money from?!

October 14, 2010, 09:18:25 PM
Reply #3

Paul.

Very well connected guy Rimbo. Think of all the huge companies he has worked for.
Who lit the fuse on your tampon ?

October 14, 2010, 09:19:41 PM
Reply #4

.Rimbo.

Very well connected guy Rimbo. Think of all the huge companies he has worked for.

So was it a consortium fronted by him or something?

October 14, 2010, 09:24:25 PM
Reply #5

nomorechang

RIP
I remember being told about this .. Im sure it was before Kenwright took control and Walter  was still here , Gazza is his mate and his drinking partner at that time .. I really think it might have been a disaster
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

October 14, 2010, 09:30:06 PM
Reply #6

cad

The red-haired fella with the glasses is this?

Where's he getting the money from?!

He sold his 'Ginger Group' for over £200m several years ago.

Don't know if he's built on that, or blown it all.

Better off without him would be my guess. We'll never know...
veni veni veni

Don't worry yourself into an early grave...it will happen soon enough.

October 14, 2010, 09:39:24 PM
Reply #7

Krissy

I remember being told about this .. Im sure it was before Kenwright took control and Walter  was still here , Gazza is his mate and his drinking partner at that time .. I really think it might have been a disaster

yeh cos Kenwright has been a huge success, hasn't he...we've really been competing for years.

October 14, 2010, 09:54:38 PM
Reply #8

Jamokachi

Haha! Wind it in Krissy, you're arguing with the biggest anti-Kenwright member of this forum!

And Rimbo, as has been said, Evans is an extremley well connected guy, and worth a few bob too (although not a billionaire by a long way).

Who knows if he'd have been a success or not, but he hasn't done badly, as I said.

October 14, 2010, 09:56:25 PM
Reply #9

nomorechang

RIP
yeh cos Kenwright has been a huge success, hasn't he...we've really been competing for years.

Yes ,despite Kenwright we have been competitive , but that was mainly down to Moyes , Evans would have had Gasgoine as our manager , Howard Kendall Mk3 as his assistant and Besty as his  " motivation coach " Chang would have gone bankrupt ...Duncan might still be here though  :cheers:
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

October 14, 2010, 09:58:55 PM
Reply #10

toffeeglas

Yea. His book will be worth a read that's for sure.

I don't know much about the ins and outs of what happened, but he came very close. Not sure if it had of been a good thing or not, but he hasn't done a bad job with his other business ventures!
Ye, wasn't this before he bought Virgin Radio?

October 14, 2010, 10:12:47 PM
Reply #11

Jamokachi

I imagine it was after he sold them? That's where he got most of his money wasn't it?

Edit: See below, maybe not.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:17:31 PM by Jamokachi »

October 14, 2010, 10:15:19 PM
Reply #12

Jamokachi

Chris Evans has revealed that he almost bought Everton in the late Nineties. The BBC Radio 2 host, who famously used to hit the town with Gazza, told talkSPORT: 'We could have got it for £13.5million. It [Everton] hardly had any debt at the time, this was 1998, '99, maybe 2000. 'We had a media group our remit was to grow the company  and we had totry and give the investor's the return that we had promised  them.  'One thing we did was looking at buying  a newspaper and the other thing we did was look at buying Everton Football Club.  'But the success of the group that we already had overtook thebusiness plan and then the investors said that we  didn't need  to riskit. So we didn't need to take the risk that we wanted to take in order to grow to a bigger company.' Radio show host Alan Brazil then told Evans, who was head of the Ginger Media Group in the Nineties, that he'd had a lucky escape, as it's one thing to own a club.  But then you need to spend  millions of pounds on players. 'That's the problem,' said Evans. 'Terry Venables once said to me "you can't have the  power and the glory".  'That's the problem with the chairman and the manager; you've got to have one or the other. You can't have both. Lots of chairmen are successful businessman. But no one knows their name and that's why they buy a football club. 'But they don't get the fame. They just get the grief.'

http://www.football.co.uk/everton/i_nearly_bought_everton_for_135m_reveals_radio_host_chris_evans_rss105529.shtml

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1184183/I-nearly-bought-Everton-13-5m-Nineties-reveals-radio-host-Chris-Evans.html

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/05/18/everton-fc-rumour-mill-chris-evans-nearly-bought-blues-smithies-deal-close-hoarau-moving-from-france-mancienne-on-way-92534-23652467/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:17:03 PM by Jamokachi »

October 15, 2010, 12:01:40 AM
Reply #13

CarlosAlberto

We'd have had Venables instead of Moyes if so then.

October 15, 2010, 01:12:45 AM
Reply #14

Tony Clifton

Yes ,despite Kenwright we have been competitive , but that was mainly down to Moyes , Evans would have had Gasgoine as our manager , Howard Kendall Mk3 as his assistant and Besty as his  " motivation coach " Chang would have gone bankrupt ...Duncan might still be here though  :cheers:

:snigger:  ...Shool o' Shiensh *hic* and all that...  sounds good to me, at least we could have laughed. 
Actually, I reckon Bill's a closet plonk fiend - no one could talk the shit he talks when sober, surely?