November 24, 2017, 08:31:34 PM

Author Topic: Stoke City v Everton  (Read 17577 times)

January 25, 2017, 12:00:11 AM
Reply #30

Cozzie

Shogun! You absolute fucking legend!

January 25, 2017, 12:23:41 AM
Reply #31

Gash

Global Moderator

Stoke City v Everton
Britannia Stadium
Wednesday 1st February 20:00
Premier League Match #23

Stoke City's last 5 matches

Chelsea 4-2 Stoke City (Martins Indi, Crouch)
Stoke City 2-0 Watford (Shawcross, Crouch)
Stoke City 0-1 Wolves - FA Cup
Sunderland 1-3 Stoke City (Arnautovic x2, Crouch)
Stoke City 1-1 Manchester United (Mata OG)

Everton's last 5 matches

Hull 2-2 Everton (Marshall OG, Barkley)
Everton 3-0 Southampton (Valencia, Baines PEN, Lukaku)
Everton 1-2 Leicester - FA Cup (Lukaku)
Everton 4-0 Manchester City (Lukaku, Mirallas, Davies, Lookman)
Crystal Palace 0-1 Everton (Coleman)

Stoke City

Playing on a Wednesday night away to Stoke City is no longer the terrifying prospect that prevented Lionel Messi from joining a Premier League club. Gone are the days of Rory Delap throw-ins and Tony Pulis baseball caps, Stoke are now a modern football delight with flair and skill pulsating throughout the side as typified by goalkeeper Lee Grant and Peter Crouch combining more times (20) than any other against Manchester United at the weekend. The good news for the pessimistic Evertonians out there is that Peter Crouch is one goal away from his 100th Premier League goal and Mark Hughes is just a victory away from his 50th win as Stoke City manager. The more optimistic of Evertonians will be buoyed by the fact that Glenn Whelan is still starting matches in Premier League football, no really, he is. Stoke managed a point against Manchester United at the weekend but they haven't beaten any of the eight league teams above them in nine league matches (D3 L6) so far this season and they've conceded 23 goals in the process.

Marko Arnautovic could have been a replacement for Kevin Mirallas in the summer but the Austrian just couldn't get enough of the people and scenery that Stoke has to offer and signed a new contract with the Potters. Both have picked up their form in recent weeks and they both have incredibly similar stats so far this season. Not only have they scored and assisted the same amount of goals but they've also created the same amount of chances (24) and they've posted the same number of shots on goal (33) but Mirallas has had less time on the pitch, hence the better statistics. Arnautovic can't shoot very well or pass very well and that's the sort of analysis NSNO pay me to provide.

Possible Line-Ups

Everton

Despite accusations of poor sportsmanship from 'Disgracefully Sacked Former England Manager Sam Allardyce™', Everton pulled off a 1-0 win at Crystal Palace to make it 13 points from their last five Premier League matches and to put themselves into a league of their own behind Manchester United in 6th and ahead of West Brom in 8th. Tom Davies has provided a goal and two assists in his three Premier League starts for Everton. Not only have the Toffees won all those matches to nil but Everton have seen 13 league goals scored and 0 conceded in all the time Davies has been on the pitch this season. It's the first time Everton have won three consecutive league fixtures without conceding a goal since January 2010 and they haven't gone four league victories without conceding since March 1986 when they went on a five match run. Astonishingly, even after all these years, Mark Hughes is still a cunt.

Ronald Koeman is starting to leave his mark on an Everton side that have had a difficult couple of league campaigns under Roberto Martinez. The approach to the recent run of victories is indicative of the identity that Koeman wants to create at Everton; from the clinical display against City which produced the finest performance to date of the Koeman era to the persistence which led to victories over Southampton and Crystal Palace, all with a clean sheet intact. Winning over the fans has been difficult but a home record of 22 points from 11 home matches will certainly help, especially when considering Everton took just 13 points from the same amount of home fixtures last season. In fact, Everton only took 23 points from all home matches last season and three of those points were down to David Unsworth's final day victory over Norwich.

Statistics & Injuries

Be assed reading all that!

January 25, 2017, 12:28:25 AM
Reply #32

Shogun

Administrator
Be assed reading all that!

If you were looking for a summarised version...

"Everton are magic, Stoke are six fingered mutant freaks"
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

January 25, 2017, 01:57:49 AM
Reply #33

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
If you were looking for a summarised version...

"Everton are magic, Stoke are six fingered mutant freaks"

And of course, "Mark Hughes is still a cunt"

January 25, 2017, 02:13:44 AM
Reply #34

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Will we have to sign players by 12:00 on deadline day for them to be eligible for this, or is it later being a night game?
Cordiali saluti, motherfuckers.

January 25, 2017, 04:13:47 AM
Reply #35

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
You'd probably say arnautovic was having a better season than mirallas wouldn't you but the stats don't lie, kevs really pulled his finger out lately I think.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 25, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
Reply #36

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
You'd probably say arnautovic was having a better season than mirallas wouldn't you but the stats don't lie, kevs really pulled his finger out lately I think.

Made up with his recent form.

Thought he was done as an Everton player but he's really staked his claim.

Apart from Lukaku he's the only player you'll back to take a chance when he gets it.

As you say, he's not had the best of seasons but he's still chipped in.

Think he's realised he's got it as good as he can get here. He missed the chance of his big move a season back, so is either knuckle down and become part of the Everton project, or spend the rest of his career in midtable mediocrity at someone like Schalke.

January 25, 2017, 05:00:57 AM
Reply #37

Gash

Global Moderator
Mirallas has always been one of those players who takes a few games to get up to speed. He never really got a decent run of games over the last couple years so his form dropped away badly even though there was times he should have been given a chance over others, even this season took a while to get going. But he's starting to look back to his best over the last few games he's played so can hopefully stay fit and keep on improving. On his game, he's a very good player.

January 25, 2017, 06:05:32 AM
Reply #38

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Made up with his recent form.

Thought he was done as an Everton player but he's really staked his claim.

Apart from Lukaku he's the only player you'll back to take a chance when he gets it.

As you say, he's not had the best of seasons but he's still chipped in.

Think he's realised he's got it as good as he can get here. He missed the chance of his big move a season back, so is either knuckle down and become part of the Everton project, or spend the rest of his career in midtable mediocrity at someone like Schalke.

I was genuinely ready to write him off, but when he's playing well I do honestly think he's champions league quality like.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 25, 2017, 02:29:43 PM
Reply #39

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber

We've heard a summarised version of that (He wasn't arsed but now he seems to have realised what it takes) every 12-18 months of Mirallas' career here. He then goes missing for a few months (both figuratively on the pitch, then literally when a manager bins him off for a bit)

January 25, 2017, 06:41:26 PM
Reply #40

Bluenose 91

We've heard a summarised version of that (He wasn't arsed but now he seems to have realised what it takes) every 12-18 months of Mirallas' career here. He then goes missing for a few months (both figuratively on the pitch, then literally when a manager bins him off for a bit)

Agreed.

No denying he's playing well at the moment but we've all seen this before from him like you say.

January 25, 2017, 07:16:14 PM
Reply #41

minty

I think that is the best representation I have seen of our formation. The 5-3-2, 3-5-2 or christmas tree formation don't cut it- although Mirallas seems to drift everywhere and not really have a position when we have possession.

January 25, 2017, 09:03:31 PM
Reply #42

Lxxx

Mirallas and Lukaku are two of the best finishers you want as a front two in the league to be honest. When either of them are in on goal you don't feel they're gonna miss. The trick is to be playing them both in on a more regular basis now Mirallas is looking sharp again.

January 26, 2017, 02:29:53 AM
Reply #43

cyberduck

Mirallas has played under 3 managers at Everton and has never been an automatic choice.

He's had good moments but far too few. I don't think he's been blighted by injuries but am happy to be corrected on that point.

I would love him to be good enough but when he's not playing well he provides very little going forward. He's not very good defensively and at times he's reckless with some of his challenges and puts us at risk.

January 26, 2017, 02:32:16 AM
Reply #44

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I'm just enjoying the lad playing well for however long that lasts. He's good to watch when he's in form, we have no other player like him