November 04, 2010, 04:43:37 AM
Read 4331 times

.Rimbo.

Is he our best player?

deCoubertin

November 04, 2010, 04:48:35 AM
Reply #1

Connavar

No. Far from it. He brings balance to the team and is good attacking, I still think defensively he can be average.

November 04, 2010, 04:49:12 AM
Reply #2

evertonjoe

Is he our best player?

No.

Fellaini, Arteta and Jagielka are better than him.

He is a very good player though and he is at least more consistent than some of those listed above but he's certainly not without his deficiencies.

R.A.P Music

November 04, 2010, 04:49:32 AM
Reply #3

davidian

I think in terms of consistency he is.

November 04, 2010, 05:16:45 AM
Reply #4

Dr. Sponge

In a word, no.

He is consistent, works very hard and has a great left foot. But if I were to be critical of him I'd say he needs to toughen up, and his defensive abilities are sometimes shown to be frail against good opposition.

But he is a very good player and we're lucky to have him. In terms of comparing his ability in his position, to other players' abilities in their respective position... I'd say we have Fellaini, Howard, Jagielka, Heitinga (at CB), Arteta, Peinaar and possibly Cahill and Yak (when on form, which isn't consistent) who I'd rate as better than Baines.

November 04, 2010, 05:39:57 AM
Reply #5

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
I think in terms of consistency he is.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

November 04, 2010, 05:43:22 AM
Reply #6

Mahoney

No. But, then again do we actually have a 'stand out' player - I don't think so. Pains me to say it as I probably sound like Blue Bill, but we are a 'team' of good players, any of which can stand up as the best player on the day. 

Example of this could be Arteta, who was awesome in the Derby, but since then hasn't been as good (ok he has/had a slight injury). Then you've got performances from Pienaar against Stoke that set him above the rest....

I actually like the fact that we don't have one 'marquee' player.... it means we all have our own favourites for one reason or another.

PS I actually wonder if Rodwell could be that 'stand out' player in the future???
It's getting pretty serious.

November 04, 2010, 05:51:52 AM
Reply #7

evertonjoe

No. But, then again do we actually have a 'stand out' player - I don't think so. Pains me to say it as I probably sound like Blue Bill, but we are a 'team' of good players, any of which can stand up as the best player on the day. 

Example of this could be Arteta, who was awesome in the Derby, but since then hasn't been as good (ok he has/had a slight injury). Then you've got performances from Pienaar against Stoke that set him above the rest....

I actually like the fact that we don't have one 'marquee' player.... it means we all have our own favourites for one reason or another.

PS I actually wonder if Rodwell could be that 'stand out' player in the future???

I fail to see how Arteta wasn't good in the Stoke game he dictated play in the middle of the park like he always does and he played some excellent balls.

R.A.P Music

November 04, 2010, 06:28:02 AM
Reply #8

Father Mcnulty

Our best player is Pienaar at the moment unfortunately. Baines is very good, but his role is more defined than many other players roles are. Baines has good attacking skills, a great cross, and good dead ball qualities. I rate Hibbert the better fullback though regarding defensive duties.

November 04, 2010, 06:47:48 AM
Reply #9

Mahoney

I fail to see how Arteta wasn't good in the Stoke game he dictated play in the middle of the park like he always does and he played some excellent balls.

Fair enough - I admit I have only watched highlights of this game and read other fans views of our players ratings, so maybe not the best example. I suppose my point is that we seem to have different players stepping up at different times which could class them as our 'best player'.
It's getting pretty serious.

November 04, 2010, 07:19:38 AM
Reply #10

cantoffee

His consistency is a huge attribute though, he rarely has a bad game and his mistakes are not only few and far between but he recovers well. He's rarely dominated by a player as well, and I think some people harp on his defensive inefficiencies too often, I think his most notably poor quality is his lack of closing down crosses. He's not the strongest, but then again he plays out wide so doesn't face players who are going to dominate him physically very often.

Obviously going forward he's great, he attack's at pace better than anyone in the team and he seems to be much better at beating a man standing still than in previous seasons. He's probably got the best foot in the squad bar maybe Bily, he's ability at set pieces whether crossing the ball in or shooting is very high and I absolutely love his penalties.

I don't think Pienaar going will affect him too much as long as the person who plays in front of him likes to cut inside, otherwise he might get crowded out.

November 04, 2010, 09:43:37 AM
Reply #11

montanatoffeefan

Pienaar has been our best player by a good margin for the past few seasons. And has made Baines into a much better player as well. It will be interesting to see how LBLB does when SP is no longer around to link up with and track back to cover his arse.

Still, Baines has been another great bargain buy.
Everton forever.

November 04, 2010, 12:36:18 PM
Reply #12

HungryHungryHibbo

Given how well Osman played on the left, I'd say maybe Baines made Pienaar into a much better player...
coyb

November 04, 2010, 12:43:22 PM
Reply #13

montanatoffeefan

Given how well Osman played on the left, I'd say maybe Baines made Pienaar into a much better player...

Well, you can say it. But IIRC, Pienaar put in some terrific performances for us, making everyone on the team better in the process, for at least half-a-season before Baines started playing regularly,. So...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:09:47 PM by montanatoffeefan »
Everton forever.

November 04, 2010, 02:19:42 PM
Reply #14

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
This season I think he is.  He is by far our most consistent player and I can't remember giving him less than a 6 in any match ratings thread since I came on here.  Pienaar and Arteta are game changers so they tend to be more noticeable but Baines this season has even stepped up in that respect.