November 19, 2017, 04:37:08 PM

Author Topic: Baines  (Read 4330 times)

November 04, 2010, 07:10:09 PM
Reply #15

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
An interesting one.

He's clearly very consisten at his attacking play. While some have, at times, criticised his delivery; I think you'd have to go a pretty long way to find someone who is as consistent with his crosses. Especially his aerial ones. Bale is lauded for his delivery but he's generally playing at along the ground where there's considerably more margin for error.

Baines has a great engine which enables him to contiually get to the bye-line even into injury time as his involvements in the Utd goals, the Newcastle chances and the Birmingham goal show even just this season.

He's a crucial part of our team as he's the only player that has pace and directness out wide.

Defensivley he's weak against people who run at him with pace, which is odd, but given his size he's actually very good at some of the points that you might think he was weak at, such as you rarely see him beaten at the far post by players that are bigger than him.

Overall he's a very good player, certainly up there with the best in the league. Maybe not Ashley Cole but Clichy, Evra and er.... well that's it really.

deCoubertin

November 04, 2010, 07:37:15 PM
Reply #16

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
This season? Absolutely yea. He is in great form. It might be worth checking all the matchday threads and seeing who has the most shouts for MoM/ I think you will find Baines winning easily.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

November 04, 2010, 07:38:22 PM
Reply #17

ToxtethBlue

I don't know about our best player, but he's certainly up there, easily in the top five. He takes the ball under pressure, is an excellent combination player, has pace, a great engine and can also deliver a good ball into the box. He's not a brilliant defender, but he's capable enough, and for me, there are very few players who are actually excellent in both areas. Maicon is seen as best right back around and even he can be found out in defensive positions.

I think he's improving in one on one dribbling situations aswell. Not so much running at people down the byline, but he's cutting inside opposition players and evading challenges much more than he used to. 
ToxtethBlue

November 04, 2010, 07:39:21 PM
Reply #18

dekko

You cannot say one player is the best player. Baines is our best left back. Howard is our best keeper, Jags is our best CB...

November 04, 2010, 07:49:40 PM
Reply #19

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
You cannot say one player is the best player. Baines is our best left back. Howard is our best keeper, Jags is our best CB...

Of course you can!  In our team it is harder than some as we have several players around the same level but Messi is Barca's best player,  Ronaldo for Real etc.

November 04, 2010, 08:26:37 PM
Reply #20

Jamokachi

I think Pienaar's probably our best player at the moment (and has been for some time!).

November 04, 2010, 08:36:16 PM
Reply #21

MmmBlueRamirez

Is he our best player?

No, but I maintain that he is still our most creative player. And I can back that statement up with facts. Jack!
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

November 04, 2010, 09:48:30 PM
Reply #22

Krissy

Baines is fantastic and i hope Coleman becomes our equivalent of the kid Bale...

November 04, 2010, 10:05:10 PM
Reply #23

Ridge

No.

Very consistent performer and probably the most accurate with the ball. He gets the most out of what he has and doesn't do much wrong, but not our best player. Maybe in the top 3 based on form currently, but wouldn't say he would be there when others are on form.

November 04, 2010, 11:27:42 PM
Reply #24

MmmBlueRamirez

There is an case for saying that he is our best player from a positional perspective.

If you look at each player who could be consider 1st choice for a fixed position, i.e. Baines is number one left back then you could say that he is our best player position-wise when compared to others who play in a similar position in the other teams in the prem.

To me, currently Baines is currenly the second best left back in the prem with Cole being the best. Now, how many of our other players can you say that about?

You could possibly argue that Fellaini is one of the best defensive midfielders in the league and thats about it.

Arteta, Pienaar, jags and yakubu who are our other top class players position wise have a number of people who are better than them in the prem.

So because baines ranks second position wise whereas the others are further down the list you could argue that he is our best player.

November 05, 2010, 01:23:48 AM
Reply #25

ToxtethBlue

Arteta's one of the best players in his position, as is Jagielka. Pienaar would be up there aswell to be fair.
ToxtethBlue

November 05, 2010, 01:54:53 AM
Reply #26

MmmBlueRamirez

Arteta's one of the best players in his position, as is Jagielka. Pienaar would be up there aswell to be fair.

In the top two or even three in the prem in their position? I doubt it.

Is jags better than terry, ferdinand, vidic, toure or vermaelen?

Is pienaar better than bale, modric, silva or nasri?

Is arteta better than gerrard, essien, scholes or fabregas?

November 05, 2010, 02:07:08 AM
Reply #27

Silas

NSNO Subscriber

Is jags better than terry, ferdinand, vidic, toure or vermaelen? On form yes.

Is pienaar better than bale, modric, silva or nasri?  Better than Bale and Modric IMO. 

Is arteta better than gerrard, essien, scholes or fabregas?  No but he isn't out of place in that list at all.

November 05, 2010, 03:01:53 AM
Reply #28

ToxtethBlue

Is jags better than terry, ferdinand, vidic, toure or vermaelen?

Is pienaar better than bale, modric, silva or nasri?

Is arteta better than gerrard, essien, scholes or fabregas?

I think both Toure and Vermaelen would be very debateable. Toure's had his first decent run of form is god knows how long. He was poor for City last season, and wasn't the player he used to be in his last few seasons at Arsenal.

As for Arteta, I'd have him over Scholes and Gerrard in that position, definitely. Scholes isn't the player he was and Gerrard's half the player he can be when deployed as an orthodox centre mid. He doesn't play the role with any real intelligence or discipline. It's a different matter altogether if you play him as a second striker, he's a world class player in his natural position.

Fabregas would definitely be ahead of him, as would Essien.

ToxtethBlue

November 05, 2010, 03:20:57 AM
Reply #29

Eagle Eye

Cahill for me, followed by Arteta and Jagielka. Baines is probably one of the top 5 left backs in the Prem though.
"I'm gonna take it all, I'm gonna be the last one standing, higher overall, I'm gonna be the last one landing, cos I believe it and I just want it all"