December 11, 2017, 09:22:30 PM

Author Topic: Baines  (Read 4354 times)

November 05, 2010, 03:23:53 AM
Reply #30

.Rimbo.

As for Baines, he is certainly our most consistent player. I remember Paul Jewell saying something like "he's never below a 7" and I'd go along with that. He's excellent going forward and I don't think he's as bad defensively as some make out. His one weakness is that he doesn't close the winger down as much or as quick as he should but he's one of the best left backs in the league and our most consistent performer as well.

People often go on about Pienaar and Arteta and who's better/more consistent etc. and there seems two definitive camps on that one. I think Baines goes under the radar though and I would say he's more consistent than both.

deCoubertin

November 05, 2010, 03:25:30 AM
Reply #31

.Rimbo.

In the top two or even three in the prem in their position? I doubt it.

Is jags better than terry, ferdinand, vidic, toure or vermaelen? Yes, as good as Vermaelen and Ferdinand hardly plays anymore.

Is pienaar better than bale, modric, silva or nasri? Haven't seen enough of Silva but Modric and Nasri are better for me, and Bale could be better soon.

Is arteta better than gerrard, essien, scholes or fabregas? As Tocky says, I'd have him over Gerrard and Scholes in that position.

November 05, 2010, 03:29:23 AM
Reply #32

Sprooly

There is an case for saying that he is our best player from a positional perspective.

If you look at each player who could be consider 1st choice for a fixed position, i.e. Baines is number one left back then you could say that he is our best player position-wise when compared to others who play in a similar position in the other teams in the prem.

To me, currently Baines is currenly the second best left back in the prem with Cole being the best. Now, how many of our other players can you say that about?

You could possibly argue that Fellaini is one of the best defensive midfielders in the league and thats about it.

Arteta, Pienaar, jags and yakubu who are our other top class players position wise have a number of people who are better than them in the prem.

So because baines ranks second position wise whereas the others are further down the list you could argue that he is our best player.

the same bale that scored a hattrick vs inter and provided 2 assists on tuesday?

i would rate Modric and Pienaar the same and they are both the same sorts of players

November 05, 2010, 04:17:08 AM
Reply #33

Father Mcnulty

If we start bigging Baines up he'll be wearing a City shirt come January. The lad is crap. End of.

November 05, 2010, 04:20:57 AM
Reply #34

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
They can have him to be honest for the25M pound they spend per transfer.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...