October 22, 2017, 09:58:06 AM

Author Topic: £8m for Saha  (Read 4332 times)

November 11, 2010, 03:43:22 PM
Read 4332 times

Simon Paul

Administrator
Looks like we missed a trick now doesn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deCoubertin

November 11, 2010, 03:47:40 PM
Reply #1

Bob Sacamano

Not sure if I actually believe it was 8 to be honest.

November 11, 2010, 03:49:49 PM
Reply #2

Connavar

To be fair to the lad, he was the only one that looked remotely close to scoring for us yesterday. God knows why the Yak was on the bench though!

November 11, 2010, 03:53:57 PM
Reply #3

Jamokachi

Looks like we missed a trick now doesn't it?

Does it? He was our top scorer last season. The 'offer' came back in the summer of '09 remember.

November 11, 2010, 04:10:40 PM
Reply #4

VBlue

Was it Saha's header from the corner that was cleared off the line?

November 11, 2010, 04:15:10 PM
Reply #5

Jamokachi

Yes

November 11, 2010, 04:18:40 PM
Reply #6

aylesbury blue

I can only say from watching the Match of the Day highlights that Saha looked our best player.....obviously these highlights are mis leading!!!
Phil Jagielka's best mate and the best player to have played with Tony Cottee....2 brief descriptions of Richie Boyle.

November 11, 2010, 04:24:20 PM
Reply #7

nomorechang

RIP
A lot of things are obvious with hindsight , that 8m would have been very useful now but that offer was in the summer after the cup final , for the next 6 months he was the only player we had putting the ball away , however his injuries have caught up with him now ,he's missed a lot of games and he's unlikely to get that back unless he can get a run of games injury free , some great strikers have spells were they cant score no matter what they do , He's  had chances but not had the breaks ut right now we can't risk experimenting with too many players,we just have to get our heads down and battle ... We generally have a good second half to the season , this year we arent that far back that we still can't get involved in the top few places
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

November 11, 2010, 04:49:21 PM
Reply #8

Sprooly

it was the right choice not to sell imo

November 11, 2010, 04:51:05 PM
Reply #9

EFC2302

Saha's touch last night was appalling!! He was trying to many fancy flicks when he couldn't even do the simple things right!
Andy Hinchcliffe has a wicked left foot!!!!!  :tongue:

November 11, 2010, 05:25:05 PM
Reply #10

toffee_scot

Just remember that last season especially in the first half, Saha's goals were perhaps the only reason we weren't rooted to the bottom of the table.

For some reason he hasn't been the same since he signed the new contract.

November 11, 2010, 06:15:23 PM
Reply #11

Connavar

I can only say from watching the Match of the Day highlights that Saha looked our best player.....obviously these highlights are mis leading!!!

Yes and no mate to be honest. As i said, up until we scored in, what 90+3mins on the clock, for me Saha was the only one that looked anywhere near hitting the back of the net. Arteta and Pienaar created acres of space in the final third in the first half, but seemed scared to hit it. Cahill was off the boil.

However, i listened to Sharpey on the way home on Radio City and he raised a valid point. He said Saha was coming deep when we didn't need him there, coming wide to pick up the ball when he should have been in the box etc. I can't argue with him there, as i remember on numerous occasions especially in the second half when that certainly was the case. That's Saha's way of playing though. He can't do the one man up front like Yakubu, and when he (Saha) does play in that system, 9 times out of 10 he negates Cahill. Apart from that being his preferred way of playing, sometimes you have to ask yourself why he feels he needs to come deep to pick up that possesion? Is it a lack of faith in the creativity behind him?

November 11, 2010, 07:18:32 PM
Reply #12

di_guyo

i said at the time...if it was 8 mil thats a no brainer for a player of his age and injury record
Everton & Atleti

November 11, 2010, 07:32:26 PM
Reply #13

montanatoffeefan

Would have been a bad sale tbh. He was very important to us last season. And he still could put away some important goals for us this season.

And what does 8 million get you these days anyway? James Beattie maybe?

Or rather, what does 8 million get Everton these days? We'll find out with the Bellefield sale. But I suspect the answer is: a couple years of debt service relief and maybe a 28-year-old League 1 fullback.
Everton forever.

November 11, 2010, 08:49:27 PM
Reply #14

BlueWool

I never believed for a second that we would have got 8 for him anyway.