October 23, 2017, 10:13:12 PM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 32369 times)

March 10, 2017, 12:22:07 AM
Reply #105

KoemansNumberTens

Are Mori and Williams very poor centre halves? 5 clean sheets in 8. Wales and Argentina internationals. We've got a very good defensive record this season. Quite the miracle given how terrible our defenders and keeper are

deCoubertin

March 10, 2017, 01:39:19 AM
Reply #106

Major Clanger

Are Mori and Williams very poor centre halves? 5 clean sheets in 8. Wales and Argentina internationals. We've got a very good defensive record this season. Quite the miracle given how terrible our defenders and keeper are

Heitinga played in a World Cup final.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

March 10, 2017, 02:06:41 AM
Reply #107

WeimaranerBlues

Think Holgate as been Boss lads, not been on the losing side, and had one bad 1st half against Stoke , when they all played shite..........

everyone was raving about him ...........

we have one really bad game against Spurs when everyone was awful apart from Ross and this place goes into meltdown

March 10, 2017, 02:20:58 AM
Reply #108

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I dont think Holgate has been quite as bad as ram says and I don't think he has been boss either

Somewhere in between, which would be expected in his first Pl season

Simply simply lovely

March 10, 2017, 02:27:51 AM
Reply #109

blue slug

Holgate has been as good as your going to get from a defefender of his age. I really rate him but he's going to have poor games

March 10, 2017, 02:59:26 AM
Reply #110

Ross

Holgate has been as good as your going to get from a defefender of his age. I really rate him but he's going to have poor games

I've not seen that many e's since the 051 was closed down..
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

March 10, 2017, 04:17:15 AM
Reply #111

KoemansNumberTens

Heitinga played in a World Cup final.

No these players have been part of our very successful defence this season. You'd think they'd spent the season conceding goals and shitting in everyone's kettles the way people on here talk about them. I'm not talking about a 6 game competition where you only play 3 sides of similar quality

Joel, Williams and Mori have all been part of our success this season. That doesn't mean we shouldn't sign better/competition but it probably does mean claims that they are shit are wide of the mark and comments like "I hate him" a little odd

March 10, 2017, 04:23:42 AM
Reply #112

Major Clanger

No these players have been part of our very successful defence this season. You'd think they'd spent the season conceding goals and shitting in everyone's kettles the way people on here talk about them. I'm not talking about a 6 game competition where you only play 3 sides of similar quality

Joel, Williams and Mori have all been part of our success this season. That doesn't mean we shouldn't sign better/competition but it probably does mean claims that they are shit are wide of the mark and comments like "I hate him" a little odd

Well, saying that you hate a player who tries his best is a little odd, whether they're any good or not.

And I certainly don't sign up to the whole good-shit spectrum stuff at all. You can't reduce a player's ability to just one number representing his quality.

The way I see it (and I'm probably wrong) is that Williams and Mori are quite dependable up to a point. But if you put pressure on them beyond that point, they crumble. Like Mori against Spurs, we know his passing ability is virtually non-existent, which is normally not a massive deal, except when the opposition targets it.

So it is quite possible that we'd be better off overall with defenders who aren't even as dependable against (for want of a better word) "lesser" teams but their performance degrades less dramatically against tough opposition.

March 10, 2017, 04:38:13 AM
Reply #113

Ross

Well, saying that you hate a player who tries his best is a little odd, whether they're any good or not.

And I certainly don't sign up to the whole good-shit spectrum stuff at all. You can't reduce a player's ability to just one number representing his quality.

The way I see it (and I'm probably wrong) is that Williams and Mori are quite dependable up to a point. But if you put pressure on them beyond that point, they crumble. Like Mori against Spurs, we know his passing ability is virtually non-existent, which is normally not a massive deal, except when the opposition targets it.

So it is quite possible that we'd be better off overall with defenders who aren't even as dependable against (for want of a better word) "lesser" teams but their performance degrades less dramatically against tough opposition.

Have you seen Mori passing stats for the Spurs game?
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

March 10, 2017, 04:45:47 AM
Reply #114

Major Clanger

Have you seen Mori passing stats for the Spurs game?

No, please enlighten me.

But what I saw was clear: Spurs kept forcing him to try one of his hopeful balls into nowhere by closing down all his easy options.

March 10, 2017, 04:54:41 AM
Reply #115

Ross

No, please enlighten me.

But what I saw was clear: Spurs kept forcing him to try one of his hopeful balls into nowhere by closing down all his easy options.

Theyre out there for everyone to see I'm sure you're more than familiar with google.

Do you think we targeted Alderweireld or Vertonghen?

March 10, 2017, 05:09:56 AM
Reply #116

Jamokachi

Plenty of hyperbole going on here

March 10, 2017, 05:10:58 AM
Reply #117

Major Clanger

Theyre out there for everyone to see I'm sure you're more than familiar with google.

Do you think we targeted Alderweireld or Vertonghen?

No, because we didn't.

March 10, 2017, 05:21:31 AM
Reply #118

Major Clanger

Okay, @Ross, this is just for you.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2016/matches/855438/player-stats/121221/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

Noticed the conspicuous absence of blue arrows pointing in the opposition half and the large number of reds in comparison?

Now, let's take a look at Vertonghen.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2016/matches/855438/player-stats/39194/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

Hmm, that does look quite different. But maybe it's just a general reflection of how poor we were. Surely, Williams's forward passing must have been similarly wayward.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2016/matches/855438/player-stats/19159/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

Ermm, nope. But note how Williams didn't even try to put the ball over the halfway line.

March 10, 2017, 05:40:04 AM
Reply #119

Ross

Okay, @Ross, this is just for you.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2016/matches/855438/player-stats/121221/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

Noticed the conspicuous absence of blue arrows pointing in the opposition half and the large number of reds in comparison?

Now, let's take a look at Vertonghen.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2016/matches/855438/player-stats/39194/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

Hmm, that does look quite different. But maybe it's just a general reflection of how poor we were. Surely, Williams's forward passing must have been similarly wayward.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2016/matches/855438/player-stats/19159/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

Ermm, nope. But note how Williams didn't even try to put the ball over the halfway line.

Hmmm missed Alderweireld off deliberately or couldn't you find him? Forget the fact Williams only passed the ball about 30 times compared to Mori playing it 60ish? Did you bother seeing the pass completing stats between Vertonghen and Mori?

Good to know you're googles back up though!