October 23, 2019, 09:49:06 AM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 143493 times)

March 06, 2019, 03:18:34 AM
Reply #15

Ross

Unsworth been raving about him lately

Should be looking at a loan next year I’d have thought he doesn’t look ready for the full team but he’s a talent.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

April 17, 2019, 06:44:07 PM
Reply #16

Ross

Gibson did cost us £6m which for a youth team player is nuts, even in these times. You’d like to think he’d be nailed-on to be a first teamer. Seems to be on the right track.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

You’d hope that the vast majority of that was made up by target related payments and the initial fee was much lower.

But guess it’s hard to be sure given we’ve been so blasé with money these past few years.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

May 08, 2019, 06:51:52 PM
Reply #17

Ross

Aren’t they letting that lad Sambou go as well?

May 09, 2019, 05:06:32 PM
Reply #18

Ross

City sold 13 youngsters, that had 33 first team appearances between them, for £136m.

Chelsea make between £50m and £100m every season, loaning players, most of which are youth team players.

Liverpool sold Danny Ward for £10m and have Woodburn, Wilson, Grujic - who are all worth 8 figures. How much would they get for TAA in this market?

Obviously, those teams have greater resources - but that’s what we should aspire to. Not get excited because a load of future League 1 players have won a few trophies.

How many of those players City and Chelsea sold or are loaned out weren’t actually from their academy originally? Even the four Liverpool ones you’ve mentioned there’s at least 1 who isn’t from their academy.

Chelsea up until RLC hadn’t produce anything from their academy for 20 years even though they’ve spent hundreds of millions on it. City have spent hundreds of millions on theirs and all they’ve got to show for it is Foden and he could go either way. Same with the shite and TAA, who was their last academy graduate to become a regular for them? Gerrard? 20 something years ago?

If he hadn’t chose to go to Chelsea we’d still have Barkley, after years of Osman and Hibbert (people may have differing opinions on them but they both had 10+ years as premier league players for a top 5/6/7 club) and it looks promising Davies will do the same. That’s better than any other club you’ve mentioned easily, without the hundreds of millions they’ve all poured into their academy’s over the last 20 odd years.

This current crop may or may not produce a star or two for us but it’s more likely they will compared to who you want us to be like.

May 09, 2019, 05:54:23 PM
Reply #19

Ross

You’re missing the point. Their academies may not produce players for the first team, but the money those players generate (in transfers and loan fees), goes towards players that improve the club.

I don’t think I am. Your original point started off by saying we don’t have a “great strike rate”  then went onto say the u23s should be about “bringing youngsters into the first team”.

Then you brought up other clubs and their academy’s saying how profitable they are but ignoring how much they’ve spent the past 20 years on signing these lads in whilst never producing anybody for their first teams.

We've probably the best academy in the country that’s not just shown now by the u23’s winning two trophies this season it’s been shown over the last 20+ years when we’ve been producing footballers for the first team far more regularly than others on a fraction of the budget and offering lots of kids who don’t make it here a pathway into the professional game.

May 09, 2019, 06:15:21 PM
Reply #20

Ross

The greatest academy in the country? That’s a daft claim. We’ve had Rooney in an age that could make an impact for a top side. Liverpool Owen Fowler Sterling gerrard TAA etc etc etc. We produce lots of okay players. We aren’t close to producing anything like the quality they have

Fowler was 25+ years back, Owen pretty much the same, Gerrard 20+ years ago also and Sterling was brought in for a lot of money at 16.

Basically a lifetime ago Liverpool were producing quality players until TAA and he’s only just began and his career could go either way at such a young age.

May 09, 2019, 06:37:10 PM
Reply #21

Ross

The post I quoted said 20 plus years proof we’ve got the best youth system in the country. In recent times we’ve spent money on buying youth talent in too.

The reality is we’ve produced 1 champions league level player in probably 25 plus years. It’s not good. We make a lot of okay footballers who have decent careers.

Yeah and you’re going back 25 years for Fowler and Owen and then including Sterling who was bought for something like £6m as a 16 year old.