October 16, 2019, 06:42:41 PM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 141709 times)

April 10, 2018, 02:36:15 AM
Reply #15

KoemansNumberTens

Was absolutely the wrong move for lookman you go on loan to get minutes. Been a wasted opportunity for him.

April 10, 2018, 03:00:50 AM
Reply #16

KoemansNumberTens

Only himself to blame. Silly sod.

There’s ambition then there’s delusion. He should have gone and dominated the championship rather than not played for a quality side.

April 10, 2018, 03:46:13 AM
Reply #17

KoemansNumberTens

Good on him for wanting to test himself in a foreign league at his age.

Not much he could've learnt in the championship that he doesn't already know.

They go on loan to get minutes. He needed to pick a side he'd have a bigger role for. It was pretty much tied on that wouldn't happen with this move.

April 10, 2018, 04:13:38 AM
Reply #18

KoemansNumberTens

He’s got more league minutes for RB Leipzig this season than he has for us.

He’s been involved in 6 of the 8 league games they’ve had since he got there.

Granted but I'd rather have seen him playing a vital role at a championship club rather than stay here or be in Germany

May 31, 2018, 12:27:43 AM
Reply #19

KoemansNumberTens

January 16, 2019, 03:03:30 AM
Reply #20

KoemansNumberTens

The cynic in me says there's only one path to future stardom for these players and it's setting the world on fire from day one like Rooney.

My hope is that Brands has some ideas for how we can actually develop talented players when they don't hit the ground running or stumble somewhere else along the way (i.e almost every young player).

Surely a good move is to let the 1s who aren’t quite good enough go quickly and cheaply with big sell on clauses and low buy backs. Let them settle elsewhere and get on with their careers with the insurance we can take our profit down the line if they make it

The situation with Pennington is very odd. He just signs contracts with little hope of doing anything here. We seem so desperate to preserve a players value that we are blind to the fact that sometimes they probably don’t have 1

May 09, 2019, 06:08:34 PM
Reply #21

KoemansNumberTens

I don’t think I am. Your original point started off by saying we don’t have a “great strike rate”  then went onto say the u23s should be about “bringing youngsters into the first team”.

Then you brought up other clubs and their academy’s saying how profitable they are but ignoring how much they’ve spent the past 20 years on signing these lads in whilst never producing anybody for their first teams.

We've probably the best academy in the country that’s not just shown now by the u23’s winning two trophies this season it’s been shown over the last 20+ years when we’ve been producing footballers for the first team far more regularly than others on a fraction of the budget and offering lots of kids who don’t make it here a pathway into the professional game.

The greatest academy in the country? That’s a daft claim. We’ve had Rooney in an age that could make an impact for a top side. Liverpool Owen Fowler Sterling gerrard TAA etc etc etc. We produce lots of okay players. We aren’t close to producing anything like the quality they have

May 09, 2019, 06:28:44 PM
Reply #22

KoemansNumberTens

Fowler was 25+ years back, Owen pretty much the same, Gerrard 20+ years ago also and Sterling was brought in for a lot of money at 16.

Basically a lifetime ago Liverpool were producing quality players until TAA and he’s only just began and his career could go either way at such a young age.

The post I quoted said 20 plus years proof we’ve got the best youth system in the country. In recent times we’ve spent money on buying youth talent in too.

The reality is we’ve produced 1 champions league level player in probably 25 plus years. It’s not good. We make a lot of okay footballers who have decent careers.

May 10, 2019, 12:50:47 AM
Reply #23

KoemansNumberTens

Funny really  last night watching both them teams play footy ...hardly any kick n rush between them (unjust descriptive )...and all the u23's  I've seen this year have been of comparable size weight and ability not really much difference between an 18-19-or 21 year old in reality (if your good enough your old enough and all that)...including the game last night .   
I would also welcome some changes to the youth set up if I'm honest we would all love 11Rooney types a year ...but it's never gonna be a prem player factory ....some should actually go and see the work these lads put in .. it's great to see them play for the shirt .

The thing is though there’s not much value in playing 21-22 year olds whom we pretty much know won’t ever make it. We seem very reluctant to move some players on.

I’d sooner do less well and give them places in the team to younger players with potential still to make it

May 10, 2019, 12:52:17 AM
Reply #24

KoemansNumberTens

Stop stating your opinions as matter of fact.

There’s obviously changes that brands will like to make and those changes are already afoot, but unsworth deserves a lot, lot more credit than you’re wanting to give him.

As I say, I haven’t watched them this season but the ‘hoofball’ stuff that you talk about surprises me as they didnt play that way when I used to watch them

Three players in DCL, Davies and Kenny who are first team regular.

I don’t think any changes made to the academy will change anything in terms of the amount of players that break through from the academy.

Only 1 of them 3 is a first team regular and he was bought and and will probably be replaced in the summer

May 10, 2019, 02:00:38 AM
Reply #25

KoemansNumberTens

They’re all first team players.

True but I don’t think anyone would be amazed if all of them didn’t have a long term future in our first team. We’d all swap all 3 for a rashford or a TAA. We’ve developed 1 top 6 standard player in about 25 years (possibly longer) 
We do okay for decent players. We don’t do well for players a successful club could use. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations

June 05, 2019, 08:38:49 PM
Reply #26

KoemansNumberTens

Pennington on the verge of another loan.

Another victory for the blues academy, giving average players 3 year contracts and loaning them out again and again to lose what minimal value they have before they eventually leave on a free.

It’s ridiculous he’s still at the club. He’s a lower league player and everyone knows it

June 05, 2019, 08:54:19 PM
Reply #27

KoemansNumberTens

Derby were interested in Pennington in Jan, and he had a good season at Ipswich, by all accounts. He’s a solid enough Championship player.

The board obviously gave him a contract so they could cash in on him, but that’s not happened so they’ve had to settle with loaning him out. There are plenty of mid to lower Championship level teams he’d be good for, but apart from the handful of teams trying to get into the Prem, there isn’t much money in that league.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

We don’t seem to understand that in some cases nothing is the better value. With Pennington there was no value to protect

June 06, 2019, 04:39:49 PM
Reply #28

KoemansNumberTens

The previous route of binning off fringe players to the Championship seems to have dried up in recent years. I suppose why would a club buy someone like Pennington when you can loan him and not take on that financial burden of a long term contract? Every PL club will have a dozen decent players not getting a game - almost a victim of their own success, with these bloated squads. The market of teams to sell on to, is seemingly shrinking as the PL money train rolls ever onwards!

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

Don’t disagree but why then do we give new contracts to the likes of him and mirallas when there’s no value to protect. Just let them go on frees

June 06, 2019, 10:26:01 PM
Reply #29

KoemansNumberTens

we will get small loan fees when loaning these players out too, for the likes of bolasie, besic & mirallas anyway

Think it’s more likely we are still covering wages for bolasie and mirallas than getting a fee when we loan them