September 28, 2020, 03:13:28 PM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 194201 times)

August 16, 2020, 05:30:03 PM
Reply #45

KoemansNumberTens

Gordon!?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Heís the 1 coming through but how long before that? Sure Iím probably forgetting someone but it seems like we donít get anyone good for a long long while.

August 16, 2020, 06:37:05 PM
Reply #46

KoemansNumberTens

Barkley, davies, Kenny, now Gordon.

Not to mention people like Robinson, Williams, dowell, lundstram who are all good players that had to leave to get the opportunity as they just werenít ready at the right time here.

Thatís a decent return to be fair but it could be better.

Itís a pretty crappy list. Not 1 good enough to play for a top 6 side (With Barkley struggling to establish himself at Chelsea) and only Barkley good enough for us really. Is that about 10 years of our youth system right there. What throw in Rooney hibbert osman and Rodwell and itís 20 years plus

August 16, 2020, 07:51:37 PM
Reply #47

KoemansNumberTens

Try and approach the discussion with some nuance instead of your usual this player good, this player crap.

Iím not saying weíre producing top six players at a rapid rate am I.

Just pointing out that we are producing good players at a decent rate. Some donít make it for various reasons, some do.

Weíre a midtable, average team with a midtable average academy.

Unfortunately itís a crappy list. Could go right back to the start of the premier league and weíd only add Jeffers and ball to it. 1 worldclass player in what 30 years and no others that could play regular for champions league clubs

Arenít our facilities meant to be amongst the best. Also thereís some advantages to not being a Utd or Liverpool when it comes to attracting youth players. Thereís a clearer route to the first team.

August 17, 2020, 01:43:44 AM
Reply #48

KoemansNumberTens

How many world class players have Liverpool brought through their academy in the last 20 years?  :hmph:

Well theyíve got TAA and Gomes now. Go further back and itís Owen Fowler mcmanaman Gerard. Sure thereís others too. Longer than 20 years but in a period weíve had 1 great player

August 17, 2020, 02:10:12 AM
Reply #49

KoemansNumberTens

They bought Gomez from Charlton.

In the last 20 years though they havenít done much better than us.

Itís a clever cut off point though. We havenít had much for 30 years plus. Also itís harder to establish yourself at Liverpool. Maybe only Rooney in the last 30 years who could have played for them
We seem to have a lot of hype that end up playing lower league football

August 17, 2020, 02:22:47 AM
Reply #50

KoemansNumberTens

There's only so much you can do without cherry picking players from other academies. The talent has to be there to start with.

I think the frustration is we keep hearing about these great young players then they never come to anything. Maybe thatís just the nature of it and we notice much more cos itís us. Even the 1s they did make it big Jeffers, rodwell and Barkley (less so) still fell well short of their hype. Then we won the u23s and we all got hopeful again and that lot have kind of fallen short too

August 17, 2020, 02:29:30 AM
Reply #51

KoemansNumberTens

As soon as you looked in to the under 23s you could see it was farcical. Most other teams age was massively lower than us,we had a load of older players that were nowhere near good enough playing against kids, that's why we won it, not cause we had a great crop of youth players

Yeah I know but in recent times weíve had Garbutt (I know we bought him) dowell Davies Williams too maybe all with massive hype. Only 1 of them is even playing top flight football. Maybe weíve an issue with the step between youth football and getting them ready to play for the first team
We seem to make decent pros but very little that make an impact even at our mid table level

August 17, 2020, 02:56:25 AM
Reply #52

KoemansNumberTens

500k, but he was really highly regarded and most big teams were after him at that time

Thought it was 5m

August 18, 2020, 05:05:29 PM
Reply #53

KoemansNumberTens

Willian is a quality player. The issue isnít if heís worth 10m for next season itís the 2 seasons after that when he might be of no use to them but still getting them wages

August 30, 2020, 10:53:00 PM
Reply #54

KoemansNumberTens

Pennington turns 26 in six weeks time. Wasting his career.

Absolutely crazy heís still at the club. Never remotely looked good enough to play at the top level. Be interested to know what we are paying him. Must be substantially more than a club at his level would or he wouldnít still be here

September 11, 2020, 10:04:36 PM
Reply #55

KoemansNumberTens

Unsworth promoted. Was hoping heíd be getting sacked to be honest