November 19, 2018, 05:41:51 PM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 93300 times)

March 14, 2017, 06:42:28 PM
Read 93300 times

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I can see unsworth getting a managers job in the near future.

Stubbs got the hibs job doing a much worse job.

Obviously I'd like him to stay and continue his good work but it'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

I've wondered for a while why there isn't a loan system for coaches like there is for players.

We could send unsy somewhere for 2 years for example.

It'd be cheap for the hiring club as they wouldn't have to pay full manager wages, there wouldn't be potential compensation packages etc. should things not be working out and they'd have access to up and coming coaches from the top clubs.

The coaches would have to take a potential hit on what they might be earning if they were working independently (outside of the loan system) but they might be offered more opportunities if the financial risk is lower and therefore gain more exposure.

Meanwhile we would get to see these coaches in the real world.

I think part of the reason may be that there's still a need in England to think that your manager might be there for 5-10 years and therefore a short term loan isn't ideal. But I think everything is moving away from this so maybe it will happen?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:44:20 PM by GLewis »

March 14, 2017, 07:56:27 PM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think conflict of interest is probably the biggest one. A player going out on loan can't really change much. A manager has quite a bit of influence.
Yes maybe.

You could limit it to clubs outside of your division although there'd still be potential cup matches to consider.

I'd be surprised if that was the reason it doesn't happen though.

March 14, 2017, 07:58:39 PM
Reply #2

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Pretty much everything we do in those highlights runs through Dowell. Can't wait to see him play with the first team again.

Dowell is definitely someone worth keeping on until he's 22/23 even if it's not obvious that he's going to make it.

Much like Ossie, that type of player who isn't that fast needs time and matches to appreciate what they need to do to get round this.

Hopefully we can find him a club on loan who will play him all the time to get him some of that experience.

March 23, 2017, 07:53:26 PM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Million quid for a 15 year old, fucking hell

Didn't Arsenal pay more than that for Jermaine Pennant about 15 years ago?

We're just behind the curve!

March 23, 2017, 08:51:23 PM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Wasn't it about £5m they paid?

That was them buying Sterling from QPR. Or Ibe from Wycombe.

Maybe both?

March 24, 2017, 08:42:18 PM
Reply #5

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
What level was this?

Davies is still playing for the under 19s which i find really strange

Assume it's the Chalobah that's playing for Chelsea in there too.

It's very hard to track player potential at national level for those age groups.

Although I think these are important games for the u19s so they may have requested those two for example.

April 25, 2017, 10:15:45 PM
Reply #6

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
It's hard to tell because you could get lucky that the specific group (as its age limited there's always a regular turnover of personnel) of players happen to gel well together and that's why they're more successful than a team with potentially more talented individuals.

It can't do any harm, winning of course, apart from maybe creating unrealistic expectations that we'll have 5 or 6 players in the first team / squad soon.

April 28, 2017, 09:15:20 PM
Reply #7

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
He's got a point though. We've already seen five kids step up to the first team this season, with varying success, and they'll all probably stay there for next season. To make the next jump to a top 4 challenge we need players who can make an impact and win games not just take part in games. That costs big money though. Over to you Steve. 

Said this at the game on Sat.

We've got no guarantees as options on the bench in the attacking areas.

It's good for youngsters to play ahead of people like Kone or equivalents as they'd be wasted minutes but if we're going to make bigger strides more quickly we need players who you know are going to be able to produce.

In reality our front 3 has Lukaku as a natural and performing fit; Barkley who has found a niche on the right and improved his decision making and creative play at home but still doesn't score enough; and on the left has been a rotation of players who for varying reasons haven't been good enough often enough.

That's without the plan that we'd have 2/3 subs who theoretically should be challenging the 3 starting players for their places.

So then bear in mind that the youngsters in the u23 team are behind those who are in and around the first team.

April 28, 2017, 09:16:33 PM
Reply #8

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
He said the same thing about Davies too at the start of the season. When they'll be ready, they'll hopefully be given a chance.

Yes.

Plus the end of the season (winning something or not) isn't some sort of qualifying milestone.

It doesn't mean that players now have to be ready or that's it.

July 19, 2017, 07:40:02 PM
Reply #9

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Good move for him; whether that's to prove he can cut it here or for establishing himself at Championship level time will tell.

November 30, 2017, 10:19:53 PM
Reply #10

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

December 11, 2017, 08:02:15 PM
Reply #11

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Winning 0-1 half time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EvertonAcademy/status/940217502780583936

Decent finish but you could squeeze Russia through the two CBs.

April 10, 2018, 02:31:58 AM
Reply #12

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Howís Lookman doing at RBL? He getting much game time?

On the bench tonight.

Think after the first few games thatís what heís been limited to, although thatís more than he might have got here...