November 19, 2018, 11:50:08 PM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 93325 times)

February 07, 2017, 11:41:05 PM
Read 93325 times

Rhys

Pennington seems to be getting lots of plaudits today. I know he's been injured for a while and he's now 22 but is he good enough to make it? Anyone seen much of him? He seemed to be overlooked in the Browning/Stones/Holgate hype.

Only seen him limited times but I dont think he will make it at us, seems the type that will end up going to a Championship team and could then rise into becoming a premier league level defender. He isnt massive, not small either but I'm unsure whether he lacks a bit of pace but certainly seems like he knows how to defend when ive seen him at various levels.

Given we are heavily linked with Keane and VVD, looked like we tried for Manolas etc a major centre half signing is one of our priorities. If we get that signing, have Williams, Mori, Holgate ahead of him then it's hard to see where he will get many games. At his age 22 it is getting to the point where he is that far down the order that he himself must be thinking is it better to look down the Forshaw route and go and play week in week out at a lower level and build a career.

February 08, 2017, 06:14:35 AM
Reply #1

Rhys

What apart from the simple fact Pulis has no history of developing young talent?

He was taken in as back up when they had an injury crisis and as soon as senior players were fit they took his place. It wasn't to do with form that he was dropped, because Galloways form was fine, in fact they did quite well in the 3 games he started in if I recall correctly. It was just a poor choice of club and just because they're a premiership club, a "big club", shouldn't come into it for what should be obvious reasons.

I'm also pretty sure you can't place a recall option when it's a long term loan is between two premiership clubs.

Chelsea did with ake which is why they brought him back in January.

March 10, 2017, 02:38:56 PM
Reply #2

Rhys

Hmmm missed Alderweireld off deliberately or couldn't you find him? Forget the fact Williams only passed the ball about 30 times compared to Mori playing it 60ish? Did you bother seeing the pass completing stats between Vertonghen and Mori?

Good to know you're googles back up though!

You can't use how many passes someone has over the other centre half when Spurs clearly left mori open to force us to him and closed down options to get it to other people. Centre half passing % should be very high as most of the time it's to their centre half partner, keeper or midfielder a few yards away.

i haven't reviewed the stats but I don't need to remember the number of times mori put it straight out, easier passes didn't go near men. One of his problems is he seems to have grand ideas he is a footballing centre half so instead of when he is stuck with no pass on and under pressure just playing the percentage ball of say putting it in the channel he tries something he shouldn't.

March 14, 2017, 06:24:52 PM
Reply #3

Rhys

Now thats how to take a pen

https://twitter.com/WM_TotalFutbol/status/841474365699039232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Agreed. The Sambou one the other week will get more discussion because of what it looks like but thats a proper penalty. Power and accuracy like that can't be saved.

March 23, 2017, 08:49:18 PM
Reply #4

Rhys

Didn't we pay more for George Green?

300k up front. The deal was rising to 2m based on future incentives, so unless it was number of Bacardi breezers strawpedo'd I dont think it will have gone above 300k.

March 24, 2017, 09:11:33 PM
Reply #5

Rhys

It's also possible in the younger groups they are trying to keep people more in line with their actual age groups in unless they are going into the senior team. I know the FA mentioned that's what Spain did when they were winning loads of younger tournaments in the 2000s and then they went and won the 3 senior tournaments from 2008-12.

So they may think it is more beneficial for players to stick together and get the experiences of playing every age group rather than keep shifting people up and down.

December 11, 2017, 08:15:51 PM
Reply #6

Rhys

Thought he showed some good glimpses the other night, he's only 17 aint he?

18 a couple of months ago