November 14, 2018, 12:43:12 AM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 91967 times)

March 14, 2017, 02:54:07 AM
Read 91967 times

kramer0

David Henen lives.

March 14, 2017, 07:54:35 PM
Reply #1

kramer0

Now thats how to take a pen

https://twitter.com/WM_TotalFutbol/status/841474365699039232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Pretty much everything we do in those highlights runs through Dowell. Can't wait to see him play with the first team again.

April 11, 2017, 12:28:26 AM
Reply #2

kramer0

Besic is redundant in that midfield. Williams is the destroyer, Walsh dictates the pace, and Besic does a little bit of both without really adding anything in particular. We'd be better off with Charsley in his place (or even in Williams' place) for those late, well-timed runs into the box. I understand that we're trying to get Besic back to full fitness but we should also be trying to win the league and Walsh/Williams/Charsley have all been stalwarts for Unsworth at various points. (Also, I feel pretty meh about Besic being back. I think he's another that has too much to learn to ever reach the required level, though it does make sense for Koeman to get a good look before he moves him on.)

No complaints about Calvert-Lewin or Lookman. They need games so it's fair to slot them in when they aren't involved with the first team.

Also... Galloway is back?

Edit: And yes, it's dumb for me to pick holes in a U23 team, especially given that Unsworth clearly knows what he's doing. I'm aware of this.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 12:32:58 AM by kramer0 »

September 27, 2017, 12:45:55 AM
Reply #3

kramer0

Great goal from Antony Evans. Super lanky but super skilled.

September 27, 2017, 02:05:21 AM
Reply #4

kramer0

Have you read much about biningime or adeniran? Like the look of what I've seen of both in the glimpses of what I've seen.

Unsworth seems to really like Baningime. He played a big role last season with Joe Williams out and Davies moving up to the first team. He's a bit small but he's quick and does a lot of good defensive work. Fulham supporters thought highly of Adeniran and were disappointed to see him go but I don't much about him since he's so new.

The Grand Old Team "Everton Youth Teams Thread" is where I get most of my info about these players, although I haven't been keeping up lately. A few of the posters on there go to the U23 games regularly and have a pretty good idea of how highly rated the players are. It's probably the only thread on that site worth reading.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 05:56:28 AM by kramer0 »

November 30, 2017, 11:59:08 PM
Reply #5

kramer0

Strategy:

Phase 1: Sign all of the U23 strikers in Europe.
Phase 2: Wait for the next great forward to emerge.
Phase 3: Win or profit.

January 03, 2018, 12:04:07 AM
Reply #6

kramer0

Barnsley have apparently made a £1m offer to buy Joe Williams who is on loan there. Anyone know much about the lad?

He looks like a good Championship DM, with around 5 tackles/interceptions per 90. Doesn't contribute much in attack but 1 dribble and 1 key pass per 90 suggest that he can do a little something. Probably has a chance of being PL quality but I think his path to ever playing for Everton is pretty well blocked with all of the pure DMs we have, Baningime included. It probably makes sense for him to move on, especially at a club where he's already doing well.

I'd be bothered more by Liam Walsh leaving permanently (there were rumours that Bristol City wanted to sign him in December). A good passer who dictates tempo is exactly what we need in the middle. We'd be better off finding a loan destination where he'll actually play. Or giving him the odd game when Rooney is out if we reach safety early enough.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:10:13 AM by kramer0 »

January 03, 2018, 12:37:02 AM
Reply #7

kramer0

Seems to have quitened down a bit for Walsh. Didn’t blow the doors off it at Birmingham but not sure what shape they were in at that time...Redknapp was it?

Hasn’t been near the team when obviously a few others have even in the dead rubber, although he may have been on loan or injured? Not sure if he was recalled or injured.

Birmingham are a mess and wanted experienced players so no surprise that he didn't play.

And he couldn't play in the dead rubber. Loan recalls can only go through during transfer windows now. The new loan rules do allow on-loan players to play for the parent club's U23s, though, which is why he came back earlier.

January 15, 2018, 10:09:23 PM
Reply #8

kramer0

Even Özil gets panned in England and he's probably one of the five best creative players in the world.

I like Dowell but he doesn't stand a chance here.

January 26, 2018, 09:40:26 PM
Reply #9

kramer0

I thought he looked useful that day but I agree that he’s not ready.

“Runs all day” isn't going to improve us at that position. Calvert-Lewin is the king of chasing lost causes.

What we really need is better service to the forwards from midfield and wide areas.

February 12, 2018, 09:28:43 PM
Reply #10

kramer0

I don't understand Allardyce's treatment of Holgate. It's an admittedly small sample size but he was our best defender during his run at CB and did nothing to warrant being dropped.

It's irresponsible, both short-term and long-term, to give minutes to Williams instead of Holgate.

March 09, 2018, 12:39:10 AM
Reply #11

kramer0

Not exactly on topic based on the previous few posts but I saw this a few weeks ago. It's not great, at least from my point-of view.

https://www.trainingground.guru/articles/everton-youth-teams-now-more-direct,-less-sanitised

Some choice quotes:

“The sanitisation of Academy football – everything played on a lovely pitch, on the grass – (has changed), so that when they go to League Two on loan and don’t see the ball for 10 minutes and say, ‘What’s going on here?’ they are ready because that’s English football at the lower levels so we have to prepare them for that."

“But we’ve also got players upfront who have got to learn to win headers, who have got to learn to win flick-ons, like in the real world, so if we play out from the back all the time these centre-forwards aren’t getting that work."

It seems regressive to develop players so they'll be comfortable in League Two if they go on loan. And to think of flick-ons as the "real world." It's only a reality for crap teams in England. Nobody who's actually good plays that route one garbage.

I know he mentions playing out from the back and going direct but really, there's no point bothering with the latter. Our academy players are never going to reach the level we need them at if half of their development time is spent learning crap football.

April 08, 2018, 10:28:23 PM
Reply #12

kramer0

There's only so much young players can improve without playing.

This is why, despite uncertainty about how good they can actually be, I'd have had Holgate, Davies, and Calvert-Lewin playing as many minutes as possible in the second half of this season. Those three rarely look out of place when called into action against senior pros. I think you need to invest minutes in young players like that, especially when you're not competing for anything. That's a big part of how you find the Kanes, Allis, and Rashfords of the world.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:57:57 PM by kramer0 »