August 25, 2019, 02:50:32 AM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 135173 times)

October 01, 2017, 03:31:14 PM
Read 135173 times

Rodenplav64

Shane Duffy was good enough to be given a decent chance (long term) in the first team.

He played exceedingly well when called upon during an injury crisis. Only for Moyes to drop him immediately when more senior players were available.

I'm a David Moyes fan, but not in this instance.

Moyes always went for experience because he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag .

October 01, 2017, 05:57:59 PM
Reply #1

Rodenplav64

Not sure I totally agree with that. He wasn't a one season wonder with us you know.

I agree but he never looked likely to progress us ( finances a reason ) and we always seemed to run through beaten horses to finish 7th or 8th . Thats fine if thats what is acceptable given the lack of investment he faced . He did however prefer ( a bit like Ronald ) square pegging a seasoned pro rather than giving youngsters a chance unless injuries meant he had no choice . I would accept that had he had money he may have been able to develop youngsters over a longer period .

February 06, 2018, 11:50:19 PM
Reply #2

Rodenplav64

Be good to see him try a Kung Fu kick , miss it and then see Mangala try and clear the same ball but use the wrong foot and fall over . The ball then just trickles past Pickford who has been sent the wrong way by both CH's efforts .

March 28, 2018, 05:28:37 PM
Reply #3

Rodenplav64

If you watch the U-18's they play some excellent football.  The skill, intensity and speed of the games is quite amazing.

Many more of these lads could make it at Everton but for the fact that we, like the rest of the PL, need instant results and are buying in the finished article from all over the world.

If we are buying the finished article how come they need a season to acclimatise prove unsuited to the league ? At least you know most of your U23 side are suited to the league but unless you play them you won't know . Holgate , Davies and Kenny are well capable of covering and in time being first choice .