August 25, 2019, 01:35:37 PM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 135205 times)

March 09, 2019, 12:57:18 AM
Reply #75

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
video wont play. idiots. In next post....

Yes the lads
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 16, 2019, 03:17:15 AM
Reply #76

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Gibson very very good.

Bowler good but in and out the game.

Looked like a 442 with a big man up top. Didn't think much of the football we played but some good individual players.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 16, 2019, 04:54:40 AM
Reply #77

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Whos making it into the first team out of this lot then?

Im proper out of touch with this crop of youngsters.

Gibson was very impressive mate. Gave the pen away but I won't be surprised to see him playing real football very soon.

Modern Cb; physically imposing, headers, blocks, bollocking people, but also very very comfortable bringing the ball out and breaking lines dribbling.

April 16, 2019, 02:06:11 PM
Reply #78

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Hes with the first team here. Seem to be making an effort to make sure you know hes with the first team.

Can go left back as well cant he?

Not sure re LB, he is left sided and looks quite quick with the ball at his feet but never really seen him before last night.

Foulds came on around the 72nd minute and Galloway shuffled across to make a 5 at the back to help see out the game. Foulds looked good as well.

Feeney didn't put a foot wrong and dived in the park end after the final whistle which was good stuff, but he looks small. Deceptively quick tho.

I think Brands will be looking to move unsworth and co on soon. It was like watching Cardiff, but the individual quality was as good or better than their opponents rather than worse. They should be playing something that remotely represents what the first team are doing I think.

Hornby and Sambou won't see prem football. Bowler and Gibson should go the champ next year hopefully.

May 09, 2019, 04:29:01 PM
Reply #79

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
What the fuck are you on about, let's not win trophies whilst you're in the reserves you know because your value will become greater by just training for a bit

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

No, its great for them to win trophys, it's just not the point of u23 football.

Feeney won the 2017 euros with England, most of that squad is now playing mens football while feeney is in his 20s winning a Youth Cup.

Broadhead is part of the immensely talented Wales U21 squad, he's just won player of the year for us in youth football, but has never kicked a ball in a grown up game in his life. There's only one other Wales U21 squad member in the same position is 2 years younger than him.

Our squad is older than Chelsea, City, Liverpool etc. Because our players are stuck at the same developmental level playing hoofball, while they loan theirs out to produce if not stars then .

Trophys are great and v proud of the u23s, but where dya think these 20-22 year old are going now because it isn't into our first team.

May 09, 2019, 07:44:53 PM
Reply #80

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
We have a plan, and that will become a lot more effective with Brands in charge.

Our plan is to integrate a way of playing from the under 9s right through to the first team, creating a clear pathway for players good enough to become members of the first team.

City and Chelsea just stockpile young players and sell them on for inflated fees with no intention of ever developing them.

That plan sounds great, but it isn't what actually has been happening at the club like.

If someone said to you : our plan is to hold players back so they are playing for years against other kids at the same level but younger and less physically developed than them, play kick and rush football that doesn't represent at all what the first team do in an effort to get results at this level before the players leave on frees to league 1 clubs, would you say that is a good strategy?

I'm made up for the u23s and I think there's some real talent there, but I guarantee there will be some changes coming to that department.

May 09, 2019, 11:51:48 PM
Reply #81

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
That our plan is it yeah?

My mistake. Crack on fella.

Well that's what's happening whether you like it or not.

May 10, 2019, 03:19:12 AM
Reply #82

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Stop stating your opinions as matter of fact.

There’s obviously changes that brands will like to make and those changes are already afoot, but unsworth deserves a lot, lot more credit than you’re wanting to give him.

As I say, I haven’t watched them this season but the ‘hoofball’ stuff that you talk about surprises me as they didnt play that way when I used to watch them

Three players in DCL, Davies and Kenny who are first team regular.

I don’t think any changes made to the academy will change anything in terms of the amount of players that break through from the academy.

Fair enough, I'll reign it in.

Yeah like I say I don't think our hit rate is terrible, and I like to see us buying in players like Holgate, DCL, Lookman, talent acquisition for that level is massively important, all your kids can't come from Bootle ffs.

But, you don't think any changes made to the academy will make any difference to its success at producing players? Am I misunderstanding that or something because that seems an extremely strange thing to think.

May 10, 2019, 04:19:53 PM
Reply #83

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Might be a slight improvement, but I dont see anything changing significantly to be honest.

How many premier league teams constantly churn out players from the academy for the first team?

What brands will do here is nothing different to what a lot of teams are already doing.

I think weve had a good record over recent years in producing players from the academy anyway.

Only thing I see changing that much is turning youngsters over for profit, instead of flogging them to the age of 21/22 and releasing them.

Right well agree to disagree I suppose.

I think he was lauded for his work with PSV's academy but different environment innit.

Don't think anyone regular produces first team players really, very difficult, but yeah one of the most important things would be to provide income instead of releasing them on frees.

May 16, 2019, 12:03:27 AM
Reply #84

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
So a far cry from the "kick and rush " or the "hoofball" that some claim the u23's play constantly ...

Glad it wasn't just me thought they actually played footy quite well .

Yeah but gaz also seems to think the first team play lots of passes through the centre of midfield so you know, pinch of salt.

May 16, 2019, 12:10:49 AM
Reply #85

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Funny I thought he said 'similar to the first team'  ....and we do actually go through the midfield then to the wings ...so yano ...opinion . ..and he's only seen two u23 games ...must have been actually watching to be so observant  :thumbsup:

We do to be fair, we just don't play through very well. Switching it is true though.

May 23, 2019, 05:14:07 AM
Reply #86

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Let Pawel Zuk go and he's been signed up by a Polish club.

Not sure I've seen a list anywhere of contracts signed and released though?

June 01, 2019, 06:34:21 PM
Reply #87

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Shane Lavery had joined Linfield.

June 05, 2019, 08:12:05 PM
Reply #88

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Pennington on the verge of another loan.

Another victory for the blues academy, giving average players 3 year contracts and loaning them out again and again to lose what minimal value they have before they eventually leave on a free.