August 23, 2019, 03:52:46 AM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 134975 times)

May 09, 2019, 02:53:59 PM
Reply #30

Alanvideo

It seems harsh to knock Rhino given his outstanding success with the U23's but I wonder if Brands is content with that. Very few players make the step up to first team duties. Bowler and Virginia are the most likely of the current crop and they were brought in from elsewhere.
We are special ,we are Everton.

May 09, 2019, 04:25:13 PM
Reply #31

Alanvideo

I didnít say bin the comps, just that the success in these comps has no bearing on the first team.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
Yeah, if the choice is winning PL2 every year and no-one making the grade to first team and never winning anything with the youth team but getting first team players regularly any sane club would opt for the second. Because what's the point of the youth team in the first place?

Main criticism on Unsworth is he plays a totally different style to the first team and it seems very results-oriented.
...............this is what I was getting at earlier. It's great having the best U23 team in the country but I bet Brands is looking at replacing Rhino with someone who could provide more end product .

May 27, 2019, 05:25:58 PM
Reply #32

Alanvideo

Sounds like he was a good prospect, a few years ago. Cue a loan move to Wigan then.
...........he'd probably develop more at Wigan or wherever ,playing against established pro's.   I don't see the point of U23's playing year after year against other U23's .