October 19, 2019, 09:47:39 AM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 142262 times)

November 27, 2018, 06:54:07 PM
Reply #60

Lxxx

Think Holgate still has a chance

The lad Gordon is meant to be decent, Williams is out on loan, meant to be rated highly, Honrby too and theres a lad in th 18s smashing them in

We've been waiting for Holgate to kick on for 18 months now and he still has the physique of a kid and hasn't improved his play. Needs to play every week somewhere to see if he does have it within him.

May 24, 2019, 04:01:33 PM
Reply #61

Lxxx

Broadhead played in every U23 game and also won U18 player of the season a few years back, plus scored both goals in 2-0 win over Liverpool

Just turned 21 and contracted until next year, don't think he's ever been loaned out

Good prospect but probably not with us

Sounds like he was a good prospect, a few years ago. Cue a loan move to Wigan then.

May 27, 2019, 04:45:54 PM
Reply #62

Lxxx

Teams like Utd and the shite are really good at selling players before everyone else realises they’re not good enough. I know they receive a premium, given their status but I still feel this is an area we need to improve in. I honestly believe Liverpool would’ve made £20m on Galloway and Garbutt.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

They managed to get Bournemouth for example to part with nearly £40m for Solanke, Jordan Ibe and Brad Smith, which is unreal.

June 06, 2019, 02:01:54 PM
Reply #63

Lxxx

Pennington will make a decent career for himself in the football league, he'll probably be another still at Everton in his late 20s getting loaned out, garbutt, Galloway, tarashaj etc

I’d question the word ‘decent.’ He’ll have a career no doubt but jumping from one team/manager/style to the next in your key years and not progressing ability wise means he’s probably missed the boat when it comes to kicking on and fulfilling what potential he had.

June 06, 2019, 06:26:47 PM
Reply #64

Lxxx

Don’t disagree but why then do we give new contracts to the likes of him and mirallas when there’s no value to protect. Just let them go on frees

A misguided notion that a few quid in transfer fees outweighs the salary commitments. The third way, which we seem to fall into unfortunately, is get stuck with the commitments and no hope of a fee to get rid of them.

September 24, 2019, 01:57:28 PM
Reply #65

Lxxx

Chelsea aren't a great example, they loan out about 25 young players a year, very few if any ever make it at the club. When Abramovich hired Frank Arnesen he was seen as the man to bring on the young players, something like £60m later not one academy player had turned out for the first team. Josh McEachren was the first player since John Terry about 10-12 years earlier to come through academy and he hasn't exactly gone on to great things.

It took Chelsea years to get a decent structure in place after their take over, it will quite probably take us the same.

I think Chelsea's model is decent, it's just not utilised correctly.

They produce good players, their loan system works well, they make a lot of money but the final piece of the jigsaw is the short termism of their managerial appointments. There is no incentive for managers to take a chance on young players when they know they'll be binned off if immediate results aren't forthcoming. They might have stumbled upon a way forward with Lampard and the current transfer ban but it remains to be see if they have any more patience once that washes through.