July 20, 2019, 08:45:11 PM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 132174 times)

May 09, 2019, 02:36:21 PM
Reply #1275

Makis

It's actually quite good. If every year was that good the team could be pretty self-sufficient. From that example it's still hard to tell which ones are going to really make it but if you get one player who will in the future be a first team regular you'd almost fill up the first team with those players assuming no-one is sold to bigger clubs. If two, then you would fill up the first team squad.

May 09, 2019, 02:44:25 PM
Reply #1276

GrantyBoy78

I appreciate there are late bloomers and teams donít want to miss out on the next Harry Kane, but Charsley is 22, Broadhead and quite a few others are 21. Itís debatable whether these players will even have a professional career in football, let alone play in our first team.

There are rumours Brands will tear up the youth system this summer, itíll be interesting to see what he implements.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

May 09, 2019, 02:53:59 PM
Reply #1277

Alanvideo

It seems harsh to knock Rhino given his outstanding success with the U23's but I wonder if Brands is content with that. Very few players make the step up to first team duties. Bowler and Virginia are the most likely of the current crop and they were brought in from elsewhere.
We are special ,we are Everton.

May 09, 2019, 03:16:39 PM
Reply #1278

GrantyBoy78

But success for the U23s shouldnít be winning trophyís. It should be about bringing youngsters into the first team or selling academic players for a substantial profit.

May 09, 2019, 03:31:42 PM
Reply #1279

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Haha what?!

Letís bin the comps and just have them train at finch farm until we kinda guess they're ready for competitive action 👍

May 09, 2019, 03:45:44 PM
Reply #1280

Shogun

Administrator
Not to be negative, but whilst DCL certainly developed in the U23s he wasnít a product of the academy. Kenny isnít good enough and will be off in the next year or so. Davies will be a good player and certainly a good squad player. Thatís not a great strike-rate.

It is compared to other teams.

There's only so much you can do at youth level, the vast majority just aren't going to be talented enough no matter how much they do right in terms of work ethic.
I never claimed to be a saint

May 09, 2019, 03:46:44 PM
Reply #1281

Bally

Administrator
But success for the U23s shouldn't be winning trophy's. It should be about bringing youngsters into the first team or selling academic players for a substantial profit.

What the fuck are you on about, let's not win trophies whilst you're in the reserves you know because your value will become greater by just training for a bit

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

It's the roll I way

May 09, 2019, 03:50:08 PM
Reply #1282

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Reckon weíve done very well from that crop of players.

Davies, DCL, Kenny are all first team players with over 50 appearances each.

Dowell and Robinson are both very good players who should have a future in the premier league.

I think thatís as good as you can expect from a under 23 crop.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

May 09, 2019, 03:51:00 PM
Reply #1283

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
But success for the U23s shouldnít be winning trophyís. It should be about bringing youngsters into the first team or selling academic players for a substantial profit.

Have we not been doing that though?

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

May 09, 2019, 03:56:15 PM
Reply #1284

GrantyBoy78

Haha what?!

Let's bin the comps and just have them train at finch farm until we kinda guess they're ready for competitive action
I didnít say bin the comps, just that the success in these comps has no bearing on the first team.

May 09, 2019, 04:11:47 PM
Reply #1285

Makis

Yeah, if the choice is winning PL2 every year and no-one making the grade to first team and never winning anything with the youth team but getting first team players regularly any sane club would opt for the second. Because what's the point of the youth team in the first place?

Main criticism on Unsworth is he plays a totally different style to the first team and it seems very results-oriented.

May 09, 2019, 04:18:39 PM
Reply #1286

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
Success with the U23s is certainly bringing players through to the first team. However, a winning mentality is huge in football (as England's youth teams have shown), and if you can breed that confidence and success through the youth setup, the first team will benefit.

May 09, 2019, 04:25:13 PM
Reply #1287

Alanvideo

I didnít say bin the comps, just that the success in these comps has no bearing on the first team.

Yeah, if the choice is winning PL2 every year and no-one making the grade to first team and never winning anything with the youth team but getting first team players regularly any sane club would opt for the second. Because what's the point of the youth team in the first place?

Main criticism on Unsworth is he plays a totally different style to the first team and it seems very results-oriented.
...............this is what I was getting at earlier. It's great having the best U23 team in the country but I bet Brands is looking at replacing Rhino with someone who could provide more end product .
We are special ,we are Everton.

May 09, 2019, 04:29:01 PM
Reply #1288

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
What the fuck are you on about, let's not win trophies whilst you're in the reserves you know because your value will become greater by just training for a bit

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

No, its great for them to win trophys, it's just not the point of u23 football.

Feeney won the 2017 euros with England, most of that squad is now playing mens football while feeney is in his 20s winning a Youth Cup.

Broadhead is part of the immensely talented Wales U21 squad, he's just won player of the year for us in youth football, but has never kicked a ball in a grown up game in his life. There's only one other Wales U21 squad member in the same position is 2 years younger than him.

Our squad is older than Chelsea, City, Liverpool etc. Because our players are stuck at the same developmental level playing hoofball, while they loan theirs out to produce if not stars then £££.

Trophys are great and v proud of the u23s, but where dya think these 20-22 year old are going now because it isn't into our first team.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 09, 2019, 04:41:26 PM
Reply #1289

GrantyBoy78

City sold 13 youngsters, that had 33 first team appearances between them, for £136m.

Chelsea make between £50m and £100m every season, loaning players, most of which are youth team players.

Liverpool sold Danny Ward for £10m and have Woodburn, Wilson, Grujic - who are all worth 8 figures. How much would they get for TAA in this market?

Obviously, those teams have greater resources - but thatís what we should aspire to. Not get excited because a load of future League 1 players have won a few trophies.