July 16, 2019, 09:06:36 PM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 131914 times)

May 10, 2019, 03:19:12 AM
Reply #1320

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Stop stating your opinions as matter of fact.

There’s obviously changes that brands will like to make and those changes are already afoot, but unsworth deserves a lot, lot more credit than you’re wanting to give him.

As I say, I haven’t watched them this season but the ‘hoofball’ stuff that you talk about surprises me as they didnt play that way when I used to watch them

Three players in DCL, Davies and Kenny who are first team regular.

I don’t think any changes made to the academy will change anything in terms of the amount of players that break through from the academy.

Fair enough, I'll reign it in.

Yeah like I say I don't think our hit rate is terrible, and I like to see us buying in players like Holgate, DCL, Lookman, talent acquisition for that level is massively important, all your kids can't come from Bootle ffs.

But, you don't think any changes made to the academy will make any difference to its success at producing players? Am I misunderstanding that or something because that seems an extremely strange thing to think.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 10, 2019, 10:10:04 AM
Reply #1321

Ramjam

True but I don't think anyone would be amazed if all of them didn't have a long term future in our first team. We'd all swap all 3 for a rashford or a TAA. We've developed 1 top 6 standard player in about 25 years (possibly longer) 
We do okay for decent players. We don't do well for players a successful club could use. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations
Barkleyís at a top 3 side and in the final of the Europa cup we developed him as well.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

May 10, 2019, 10:18:17 AM
Reply #1322

Jamokachi

I think itís a fair point that the purpose of development sides isnít to win things. Saying that isnít disrespectful to the team, players or club, itís just stating a fact.

We all can agree that itís great seeing them win things, but itís not a true marker or indication of talent given the gulf between U23 and league 1 (even 2 maybe). Thatís where true development of players comes from. We do need to get better at shipping out these players at an earlier stage so that they can fulfill their potential.

And I think that will be the plan moving forward with Brands wanting continuity through the levels.

I do think itís a bit harsh on Unsworth to say his side plays hoofball or rush and go football. The U23s have played decent football whenever Iíve seen them. Whether that matches what we want from the 1st team is a different matter.

May 10, 2019, 11:50:41 AM
Reply #1323

Ramjam

I think it's a fair point that the purpose of development sides isn't to win things. Saying that isn't disrespectful to the team, players or club, it's just stating a fact.

We all can agree that it's great seeing them win things, but it's not a true marker or indication of talent given the gulf between U23 and league 1 (even 2 maybe). That's where true development of players comes from. We do need to get better at shipping out these players at an earlier stage so that they can fulfill their potential.

And I think that will be the plan moving forward with Brands wanting continuity through the levels.

I do think it's a bit harsh on Unsworth to say his side plays hoofball or rush and go football. The U23s have played decent football whenever I've seen them. Whether that matches what we want from the 1st team is a different matter.
Where can we go to watch the U23s from here, is it the club site or is there other options?

WE ARE THE PEOPLE

May 10, 2019, 03:22:15 PM
Reply #1324

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Fair enough, I'll reign it in.

Yeah like I say I don't think our hit rate is terrible, and I like to see us buying in players like Holgate, DCL, Lookman, talent acquisition for that level is massively important, all your kids can't come from Bootle ffs.

But, you don't think any changes made to the academy will make any difference to its success at producing players? Am I misunderstanding that or something because that seems an extremely strange thing to think.

Might be a slight improvement, but I donít see anything changing significantly to be honest.

How many premier league teams constantly churn out players from the academy for the first team?

What brands will do here is nothing different to what a lot of teams are already doing.

I think weíve had a good record over recent years in producing players from the academy anyway.

Only thing I see changing that much is turning youngsters over for profit, instead of flogging them to the age of 21/22 and releasing them.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

May 10, 2019, 04:19:53 PM
Reply #1325

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Might be a slight improvement, but I donít see anything changing significantly to be honest.

How many premier league teams constantly churn out players from the academy for the first team?

What brands will do here is nothing different to what a lot of teams are already doing.

I think weíve had a good record over recent years in producing players from the academy anyway.

Only thing I see changing that much is turning youngsters over for profit, instead of flogging them to the age of 21/22 and releasing them.

Right well agree to disagree I suppose.

I think he was lauded for his work with PSV's academy but different environment innit.

Don't think anyone regular produces first team players really, very difficult, but yeah one of the most important things would be to provide income instead of releasing them on frees.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 10, 2019, 04:46:01 PM
Reply #1326

Toddacelli

Fuckinell have I just read?

Well done the U23's!

Sake.

shakeyheadman

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

May 10, 2019, 08:59:35 PM
Reply #1327

Jamokachi

Where can we go to watch the U23s from here, is it the club site or is there other options?

there's been a few games broadcast on youtube

May 15, 2019, 02:59:35 PM
Reply #1328

GrantyBoy78

Nathan Broadhead got U23 player of the year, at the Dixieís. Anyone seen much of him?

May 15, 2019, 09:02:45 PM
Reply #1329

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
I have watched the U23s twice this season, and the kind of football they were playing was similar to the first team.

Lots of passes through the central midfield area, good wide play, and good use of the front man to hold the ball up. Lots of short passing, and lots of switching of play was utilized to stretch the pitch for guys like Bowler to get one on one with the opposition fullback.

It's a really good base to work from, and if you can win whilst producing quality players for the first team, then it can only be defined as successful.

May 15, 2019, 11:13:11 PM
Reply #1330

gizzblue

I have watched the U23s twice this season, and the kind of football they were playing was similar to the first team.

Lots of passes through the central midfield area, good wide play, and good use of the front man to hold the ball up. Lots of short passing, and lots of switching of play was utilized to stretch the pitch for guys like Bowler to get one on one with the opposition fullback.

It's a really good base to work from, and if you can win whilst producing quality players for the first team, then it can only be defined as successful.

So a far cry from the "kick and rush " or the "hoofball" that some claim the u23's play constantly ...

Glad it wasn't just me thought they actually played footy quite well .
Born not made a blue .

May 16, 2019, 12:03:27 AM
Reply #1331

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
So a far cry from the "kick and rush " or the "hoofball" that some claim the u23's play constantly ...

Glad it wasn't just me thought they actually played footy quite well .

Yeah but gaz also seems to think the first team play lots of passes through the centre of midfield so you know, pinch of salt.

May 16, 2019, 12:08:47 AM
Reply #1332

gizzblue

Yeah but gaz also seems to think the first team play lots of passes through the centre of midfield so you know, pinch of salt.

Funny I thought he said 'similar to the first team'  ....and we do actually go through the midfield then to the wings ...so yano ...opinion . ..and he's only seen two u23 games ...must have been actually watching to be so observant  :thumbsup:
Born not made a blue .

May 16, 2019, 12:10:49 AM
Reply #1333

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Funny I thought he said 'similar to the first team'  ....and we do actually go through the midfield then to the wings ...so yano ...opinion . ..and he's only seen two u23 games ...must have been actually watching to be so observant  :thumbsup:

We do to be fair, we just don't play through very well. Switching it is true though.

May 21, 2019, 09:45:05 PM
Reply #1334

BlueForYou

Unsworth, Everton Giant
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick