November 22, 2017, 03:21:11 PM

Author Topic: I'm going to be controversial  (Read 2051 times)

December 29, 2010, 08:16:54 PM
Read 2051 times

.Rimbo.

I would have liked to see Moyes go with a striker last night but I thought his team selection wasn't bad at all, and I don't think the players played too poorly either.

When I first saw the team I was baffled but he, I'm guessing, wants to give Rodwell some game time before Cahill goes away so he played him, and Cahill is indispensable at the moment. That was the central midfield I have wanted to see since the start of this season. Arteta, Fellaini and Rodwell.

I don't think Hibbert had too bad a game either to be honest, think people are being quite harsh on him, probably because of the own goal but in all honesty that could have knicked off anyone on a set piece.

On the main, I don't think that result in isolation was a bad one, we do have the better team and they're not great but they were up for it, got an early goal against the run of play and defended it quite well. It's all the results before it that make it seem worse and put pressure on us taking all three points in games like this.

Great goal by Coleman as well.

deCoubertin

December 29, 2010, 08:21:46 PM
Reply #1

JoeHart

controversial.

it was another useless, slow, clueless, negative performance for me.

Everton forever

December 29, 2010, 08:23:43 PM
Reply #2

Sprooly

we were worse when yak came on

December 29, 2010, 08:41:23 PM
Reply #3

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
A bit of optimisum on NSNO now that is controversial. Agree that on the whole a point against West Ham isnt a bad point, and if Moyes can work his usual wonders in the Jan transfer window then we could easily claim 6th spot.

December 29, 2010, 08:49:51 PM
Reply #4

Blueney-tunes

Definately controversial, and appreciate the logical explanation but the fact is we had 3 strikers on the bench.

Unless you have serious injuries you have GOT TO field 1 striker minimum! Its basic football 101.
At the very least one should be fielded hoping they will recover as its only a dip in form (Saha excluded, he looked gone)

@Sprooly- We looked just as rubbish when Yak came on because the team was deflated and just running about. Tactics hadnt been administered for the change which let to no confidence being restored.

December 29, 2010, 08:50:39 PM
Reply #5

Tinga

Hibbert miss hit the ball about 2-3 times before the own goal... he was shocking.

Arteta needs to play a more forward role.

We should start with a striker.

Rodwell should have played CB ahead of Hibbert.

December 29, 2010, 08:56:35 PM
Reply #6

Fynci

Agree with you Rimbo. The Facebook wall on the Everton page is as embarrassing as this place can be sometimes. I may live out of the country, but I watch every Everton game online  - some people seem pretty clueless. The strikers have done nothing all season, and so it was only a matter of time before Moyes wanted to prove a point. You could say that Yak and Beckford haven't had much of a shot, but Yak was woeful when he came on, so it pretty much proved that point as well. Beckford gets himself in positions, but he's not putting the ball away.

The team we put out was the best team we could put out. I strongly believe that.

The real annoyance is that the substitutions were all wrong. Beckford should have come on first, and Billy should have come on way before he did (around the 75min mark), for me.

60mins Beckford for Rodwell
75mins Billy for Coleman
80mins Saha or Yak for Arteta
Cool + 380
Tool - 0

December 29, 2010, 09:00:38 PM
Reply #7

Tasslehoff

Fuck me, hope the Devil has sharpened his Ice Skates as he will need them to get to work tomorrow. Optimism? Surely not! :)

For what its worth I agree with most points. Hibbo did ok considering, Colemans best game so far (not just for the goal), but I thought each and every substitution was flat out wrong. I would never have brought the Yak on, I would have pushed Felli up and got him into the knockdowns and brought Beckford on.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:03:30 PM by Tasslehoff »

December 29, 2010, 09:06:57 PM
Reply #8

King Louis

Still think he should have started beckford with cahill behind him

December 29, 2010, 10:02:02 PM
Reply #9

nomorechang

RIP
A very good post Rimbo , pretty much spot on , a couple of players could have done better and yet again on a different day we would have won  . Moyes demonstrated yet again that he can and will try something different when all else has failed even if it's not what those who don't know his players as well as he does think he should do .
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

December 29, 2010, 10:09:57 PM
Reply #10

cantoffee

Although I agree with most of what you said I think Moyes' substitutions meant we didn't win. Bily and Beckford should both have been on much earlier, especially Bily with Coleman obviously knackered around the 75th minutes.

December 29, 2010, 10:11:13 PM
Reply #11

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
Although I agree with most of what you said I think Moyes' substitutions meant we didn't win. Bily and Beckford should both have been on much earlier, especially Bily with Coleman obviously knackered around the 75th minutes.
this

December 29, 2010, 10:13:03 PM
Reply #12

montanatoffeefan

It's all the results before it that make it seem worse and put pressure on us taking all three points in games like this.

Think this is your key point, Rimbo. Had this been an isolated disappointment, instead of the latest in a long line of witless draws against inferior opposition, it wouldn't seem so bad.

I think there's a lot more to the strikers' situation than we, and maybe even Shorty, knows. Yak seems to have become some kind of brain tumor, carcinogenicizing the attitudes of anyone who gets too near him. I rated him nearly as highly as any striker in the world a couple years back, mostly due to how much he improved the play of his teammates. But he's doing the opposite now. That backheel yesterday was the final straw. Same with Saha, except that he never improved the play of those around him. Now he's just a selfish cunt who's not even scoring himself, which makes him something worse than useless.

I think Beckford should have started yesterday...but is there something wrong with him, too, now? Been hanging around Yak and Louis too much maybe?

At any rate, the strikeforce needs to be shaken out and shaken up. Yak and Saha out. And not to make room for fucking Michael Owen and/or Kenny Miller. Try to get someone decent with what we get for Yak and Saha. And/or start Beckford. Or Vaughan and Victor, who would at least physically pummel defenders.

When he returns, Cahill needs to play in his favored role. Fell, too. And Arteta as well for that matter -- tired of seeing him try to imitate Claude Makelele.

Also, is there any chance of getting Yobo back? He is sorely missed. Though I suppose he may have been the first victim -- and maybe even the original host -- of the Yak cancer.
Everton forever.

December 29, 2010, 10:30:52 PM
Reply #13

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
nope Montana.....  no chanche in hell of getting Yobo back... on a years loan  and I'm sure the turks are as happy for him as you and me...

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/12/23/jags-not-ruled-out-yet   near the end
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:38:53 PM by Polledreng »

December 29, 2010, 10:36:19 PM
Reply #14

di_guyo

negative again and poor. i don't think anyone played particularly awful, coleman first half, cahill were about the only ones who played well though. against a team who can't defend, we don't play a striker....that's embarrassing. beckford and bily getting a 5 minutes between them is shocking. beckford should have been first on, if not started, and bily should have been on way before as well because coleman was a passenger in the second half.
Everton & Atleti