February 21, 2020, 12:06:21 AM

Author Topic: Spurs v Everton  (Read 44915 times)

March 05, 2017, 09:28:03 PM
Reply #585

Bluedylan

I'd say @hill135 is right offensively but defensively it was poor mistakes.

And that's fair enough. The problem with a defensive setup is when you concede, you've got a massive job on your hands changing it. If we'd conceded because of a tactical problem, I'd lay the blame at Koeman's door. I think he wanted us to at least be in the game, and then have options to change it when Spurs got frustrated. And that was working....until it stopped working.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

March 05, 2017, 09:28:27 PM
Reply #586

GrantyBoy78

As poor as we were it was soft goals that cost us - could've easily got something here, even if we didn't deserve anything.

March 05, 2017, 09:29:05 PM
Reply #587

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
He was shockingly shite. This season hes been very good. If he was new to us this season people would be quite happy with him. People judge him on when he was shockingly shite.

No, it's people know what he's like and that he's been rubbish more than good.

Because we've seen him it's more likely that this has been a good run of form rather than what he's like.

March 05, 2017, 09:29:16 PM
Reply #588

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
No way for me.

Williams isn't good when there's space and it's wide open.

I think he'd be fine with a better player there.

Mori just isn't good. Plus he's completely unpredictable which isn't what you want in a CB.

Williams or Jags predictably will cost a goal a game and switch off when you need a leader like for the2nd and 3rd goal.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

March 05, 2017, 09:29:46 PM
Reply #589

Paddockoldie

I agree, good shot stopper with excellent reactions, decent keeper but not good enough if we're going for top 4 as prone to blunders, one too many from what i've seen
Let's be fair mate. We're nowhere near a top 4 side so there's time on both fronts. Let's try for 6th first.

March 05, 2017, 09:29:47 PM
Reply #590

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
The silly thing about the result was, there are ways to get at Spurs. We just didn't make the right choices or have the right execution for much of the game.

McCarthy I think quietly made a difference in the middle but the real change it seemed like Barkley suddenly decided to take control of the game for us. It seemed after that incident with Baines he got wound up and decided to do it all himself.

March 05, 2017, 09:30:19 PM
Reply #591

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
And that's fair enough. The problem with a defensive setup is when you concede, you've got a massive job on your hands changing it. If we'd conceded because of a tactical problem, I'd lay the blame at Koeman's door. I think he wanted us to at least be in the game, and then have options to change it when Spurs got frustrated. And that was working....until it stopped working.
It was never working.  Barry never got near the ball and instead Schneiderlin and Gueye were shunted out of their normal positions.  If Gueye had been playing deeper instead of Barry then Kane doesn't get the shot off.

March 05, 2017, 09:30:59 PM
Reply #592

hill135

Nah, not having any of that. Some of it is true AFTER we conceded the first goal due to an individual error. But before that, they hadn't even come close to creating a dangerous situation and it was working fine.

Fair enough mate. I think you're dead wrong but we'll have to agree to disagree.

I agree we were containing them before the goal but I'm not sure that constitutes working fine. We wouldn't have scored in a month of Sundays with that shape because we insisted on making the pitch smaller.

I also disagree that some of it was only true after the goal. Ben Davies was stationed outside our penalty area from minute one, and Gueye was running around like a fool for his entire time on the pitch. Likewise Schniederlin and Barry were duplicating each other's role before the goal.

In fact I could go as far to attribute the goal to the confusion amongst the midfield as to who had which role and how to press the ball (before Joel fucks it).

For me, the implication of what you are saying is 'it could have been different but for conceding the first goal' which I have down as quite a banal observation but also a rather large hypothetical.

If (nearly) every player plays badly as they did today it can usually be put down to poor tactics.

March 05, 2017, 09:31:08 PM
Reply #593

Ross

He was shockingly shite. This season hes been very good. If he was new to us this season people would be quite happy with him. People judge him on when he was shockingly shite.

Yeah made some decent saves today but he'll get judged on preconceived ideas. I've already seen posts that he's done after today's game from people who before today were saying we could spend the money elsewhere due to his up turn. All because of one poor goal that others were more culpable of conceding.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

March 05, 2017, 09:31:19 PM
Reply #594

wilbur

The truth is that all three goals were avoidable but we were still flattered by the scoreline.

We're the 7th best team in the league and that's so much better than last year.
“It was the best 10 years of my career, in fact they are the only team I ever actually played for. That’s what happens when you play for Everton, you forget the rest, the rest means nothing.” - Duncan Ferguson

March 05, 2017, 09:31:25 PM
Reply #595

Sixx1402

Let's be fair mate. We're nowhere near a top 4 side so there's time on both fronts. Let's try for 6th first.

Yeah that's not what i said mate. I said we're looking at going for top 4, not this season obviously.

With a good summer we can be right in the mix next year
Ahh.....Boucheenie i presume

March 05, 2017, 09:31:43 PM
Reply #596

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
The saddest thing was seeing how quickly they figured out that the best way to gain possession was to press all our defenders bar Funes Mori, who will give the ball to them willingly.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

March 05, 2017, 09:32:39 PM
Reply #597

Mayor Farnum

Can't excuse Robles for the gifted goals but in fairness he made a couple of good stops to keep us in touching distance too.

Usually after he'd passed the ball to a Spurs player.
Something clever written by someone else.

March 05, 2017, 09:32:56 PM
Reply #598

KoemansNumberTens

No, it's people know what he's like and that he's been rubbish more than good.

Because we've seen him it's more likely that this has been a good run of form rather than what he's like.

I don't know. He looks a different player to the idiot that punched everything.

March 05, 2017, 09:35:46 PM
Reply #599

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Ross' ball in for the second was brilliant.