December 11, 2018, 02:50:42 AM

Author Topic: [News]What is Ross Barkley for?  (Read 34063 times)

May 12, 2017, 03:16:09 PM
Reply #495

Ramjam

I think he'd get loads of games for Spurs. People rave about their team now but if you look at a lot of them when they signed they weren't perceived as anything special, but working with Pochettino has elevated them. Wanyama was dismissed as just a big lump by many, Alli was just a promising League 1 player, Dembele had skill but wasn't pulling any trees up pre-Poch, Son had a poor first season, Alderweireld was an Atletico reject. Barkley's form this season is as good or better than pretty much all of them before Poch got his hands on them. He'd flourish massively under a manager like that.

And still they have won fuck all, Always the bridesmaids and always will be
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

May 12, 2017, 03:21:08 PM
Reply #496

Bluedylan

And still they have won fuck all, Always the bridesmaids and always will be

True, and they do need to overcome that to take their club to the next level, but let's be honest, putting allegiances aside, they've been fucking impressive as a side for the last two seasons. He's an exceptional coach in terms of working with players and improving them massively. Their net spend is relatively low and they don't pay massive wages. Player development is their USP.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

May 12, 2017, 03:24:45 PM
Reply #497

Lxxx

Spurs are at least three years ahead of where we are, which is an appealing prospect when you're 23 and approaching your peak years.

Having said that the top 6 is so tight they could easily finish 6th next year so it's a tough call, but compared to where we are they have a much higher chance of success than us. Plus he'd be guaranteed his England place in the squad.

May 12, 2017, 03:30:37 PM
Reply #498

Ramjam

Agreed but I think their squad will start to be pulled apart as the promise of higher wages and teams with a trophy winning mentality come calling, it's already started with Man U ready to swoop for Walker and Erickson, Anderwelt also expected to leave. Spurs might just have already peaked and have nothing to show for it.
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

May 12, 2017, 03:34:21 PM
Reply #499

Bluedylan

Agreed but I think their squad will start to be pulled apart as the promise of higher wages and teams with a trophy winning mentality come calling, it's already started with Man U ready to swoop for Walker and Erickson, Anderwelt also expected to leave. Spurs might just have already peaked and have nothing to show for it.

Time will tell, I suppose. Walker's played well but I don't think they'd be too arsed about selling him and would be confident they could get someone better in that position. Eriksen and Alderweireld would obviously be more serious concerns, but the Spurs fans I know are much more concerned about keeping the manager for a few years, than worrying about any individual player. Wembley could hurt them next year. That's probably their biggest challenge in the near future.

May 12, 2017, 03:35:19 PM
Reply #500

Alanvideo

True, and they do need to overcome that to take their club to the next level, but let's be honest, putting allegiances aside, they've been fucking impressive as a side for the last two seasons. He's an exceptional coach in terms of working with players and improving them massively. Their net spend is relatively low and they don't pay massive wages. Player development is their USP.
.............all that is true but they might have a difficult season ahead of them when they move to Wembley. Sky are going to miss bigging up the atmosphere at 'the lane '.
We are special ,we are Everton.

May 12, 2017, 03:43:13 PM
Reply #501

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah poch would turn barkley into a monster I think, I'm hoping we can convince him the blues are on the up but realistically I don't see champions league in our immediate future unless 2/3 clubs suffer serious meltdowns.

Moshiri came a bit too late I think. Had he arrived when Liverpool were struggling under Rodgers, maybe the year Chelsea faltered, united' transition...
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 12, 2017, 03:46:30 PM
Reply #502

Lxxx

I can see why Barkley is deliberating. It's be a lot easier for him if he still had a few more years left as the decision would be out of his hands and he'd just have to concentrate on knuckling down and improving here.

Whatever decision he makes will be a 'what if' sliding doors type moment. He just appears to be a hesitant, quite fragile character both on and off he pitch.  In my opinion.

May 12, 2017, 03:51:30 PM
Reply #503

Bluedylan

Yeah poch would turn barkley into a monster I think, I'm hoping we can convince him the blues are on the up but realistically I don't see champions league in our immediate future unless 2/3 clubs suffer serious meltdowns.

Moshiri came a bit too late I think. Had he arrived when Liverpool were struggling under Rodgers, maybe the year Chelsea faltered, united' transition...

Points taken, and everything you've said is completely logical and reasonable. You could put a different spin on things and say that there might be 7 teams near the top of the league, all taking points off each other every season, and any team that is able to properly rinse the other 13 teams below them would stand a good chance of making CL with sheer volume of points.

Although our away form has been disappointing, we've put away quite a lot of the dross this year. If we can do that again next year, and do it on the road as well, there might be opportunities for us.

May 12, 2017, 03:52:28 PM
Reply #504

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Dont get how he thinks he can hold the club to ransom like this.

Hasnt been good enough to justify claims he needs to be playing champions league football.

Also think Koeman is using all this as a smokescreen to sell him on and bring in a player more suited to his style

May 12, 2017, 03:54:03 PM
Reply #505

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Has he actually said he wants CL football?

The truth is probably fairy straightforward. He is probably not getting offered a deal he thinks is good enough, and Koeman doesn't think he's worth much more. It's a bit of a stand off.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:56:22 PM by Ell Capitan »

May 12, 2017, 03:56:11 PM
Reply #506

Macca77

Has he actually said he wants CL football?

Koeman mentioned it a few weeks ago, said something along the lines of, "the boy wants Champions League, but so do we"

May 12, 2017, 03:58:03 PM
Reply #507

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
He may simply have wanted to wait to make sure our transfer plans match his ambitions.
Which would be fair enough to be honest.

May 12, 2017, 03:58:55 PM
Reply #508

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Koeman mentioned it a few weeks ago, said something along the lines of, "the boy wants Champions League, but so do we"

Fair enough. Well, if that's true, honestly don't know what he's done to think he's too good for us. Lukaku, or even Mirallas a few years ago you could sort of understand. Not Barkley on the form he's shown in his career to date.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:59:59 PM by Ell Capitan »

May 12, 2017, 03:59:50 PM
Reply #509

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
No chance of him getting in that Spurs team. Ali, Dier, Eriksen, Dembele, Wanyama and now they're all raving over Winks.
Not a chance for Ross there.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"