November 19, 2017, 08:29:46 PM

Author Topic: Everton v Burnley  (Read 11269 times)

April 12, 2017, 02:28:30 PM
Reply #30

TSGun

Burnley have yet to win a game away from home this season.

Just saying

:)
Haha...good point

April 12, 2017, 02:37:49 PM
Reply #31

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
My goalie knowledge is bang average but isn't it a bit sly to compare him to the two mega keepers of the last 5 years?

What age do keepers who aren't prodigies start holding their own as a #1?

If we consider our recent keepers as a benchmark...

Tim Howard was smashing it in the US before getting his move to Man U aged 24.

Nigel Martyn was 21 when he started playing regularly for Bristol Rovers. Became most expensive British keeper aged 23 when he went to Palace.

Neville Southall signed for us at 23 and pretty quickly became our first team regular. 

We've also had lesser first team keepers like Myhre and Simonsen playing regularly for us/others and arguably achieving their peak in their early twenties.

I don't think we can consider Robles young for a keeper.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:41:05 PM by Ell Capitan »

April 12, 2017, 02:47:21 PM
Reply #32

Lxxx

Can't win here can we?

We smash them and Keane isn't good enough for us anyway. We don't smash them and it's coz Rom can't be arsed anymore and Barkley's head is elsewhere.

Comfortable 2-0 win then. Penalty and set piece and Keane has Rom in his pocket all game might work?

April 12, 2017, 02:50:33 PM
Reply #33

Macca77

Can't win here can we?

We smash them and Keane isn't good enough for us anyway. We don't smash them and it's coz Rom can't be arsed anymore and Barkley's head is elsewhere.

Comfortable 2-0 win then. Penalty and set piece and Keane has Rom in his pocket all game might work?

Keane gets a look first hand at what its like to play at Goodison and instantly falls in love with us all and issues a come and get me plea

April 12, 2017, 02:52:06 PM
Reply #34

Bluedylan

Keane gets a look first hand at what its like to play at Goodison and instantly falls in love with us all and issues a come and get me plea

Already a done deal according to pretty much the only reputable ITK left.

We'll beat these comfortably because that's what we do at home now.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

April 12, 2017, 02:54:04 PM
Reply #35

Macca77

Open the summer transfer thread ;)

April 12, 2017, 03:03:37 PM
Reply #36

Rhys

My goalie knowledge is bang average but isn't it a bit sly to compare him to the two mega keepers of the last 5 years?

What age do keepers who aren't prodigies start holding their own as a #1?

Yeah as @Lxxx mentioned my point was more that keepers don't normally start becoming a number 1 and developing at near 27 you get a lot of keepers these days who play from a lot younger. And also a hint of if we are going to challenge at that level then we are going to need a keeper who is of a lot higher level than Robles.

But while we are at it I've looked at some of the keepers who'd I'd say are at Europa level rather than top level....

Forster by 27 - played about 250 games for Celtic and Southampton between 22-27
Mignolet by 27 - played about 200 games for Sunderland and Liverpool between 22-27
Begovic by 27 - played about 200 games for Pompey and Stoke in the PL between 21-27
Szczesny by 26 - Same age as Robles and he has played 250 games for arsenal and Roma
David Ospina by 27 - played over 200 games for Nice and arsenal
Vorm by 27 - played over 150 games in the Eredivisie by that age
Karius by 23 - Has played about 25 games more at the top level so far than Robles and is 3 years younger than him

Can look more around Europe and see people like timo horn who is 23 and played over 150 games for the Koln first team. Leno who is 25 and played almost 300 games for the Leverkusen first team.

I guess my point is if Martinez had thought Joel had it in him to become top class he wouldn't have stuck with Howard until right at the end. And if koeman thought he had it in him to be good enough he wouldn't have used Stekelenburg until he got injured. And that I just don't see Joel suddenly jumping to the levels needed to be the keeper we need moving forward given where we want to go are even are at now.

April 12, 2017, 03:13:46 PM
Reply #37

Lxxx

There are no reputable ITK's. Only varying degrees of luck and bullshit.

April 12, 2017, 03:14:39 PM
Reply #38

Bluedylan

There are no reputable ITK's. Only varying degrees of luck and bullshit.

Nah, that WRD guy is informed. No question. Doesn't mean he gets everything right, of course.

April 12, 2017, 03:21:25 PM
Reply #39

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Nah, that WRD guy is informed. No question. Doesn't mean he gets everything right, of course.
Him and another poster on there seem pretty clued up

As you say,you can't get em all right all the time tho

Interestingly the other lad says man city have been tapping up Barkley 😕

Simply simply lovely

April 12, 2017, 03:23:56 PM
Reply #40

Lxxx

Rodwell Mark II if that happens.

April 12, 2017, 03:33:17 PM
Reply #41

Bluedylan

That's an interesting one, and playing and/or living in the Manchester area is more plausible than London for Ross, imo.

The club need to get something sorted either way. It should've never reached this stage really. Would be a black mark on Moshiri's record if we lose him, for me.

April 12, 2017, 03:38:12 PM
Reply #42

Ross

Theres no point making comparisons between Robles and what others have and haven't done before him. There's no hard and fast way to the top, just look at what Seamus went through before he arrived here aged 22 and what's happened to him since.

What matters is what's happening here and now. Robles is performing as well as the other top 6 keepers and has been for a number of months. They all make saves and they all make mistakes we naturally scrutinise our own more.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

April 12, 2017, 04:01:55 PM
Reply #43

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Will be good to get a look at Keane up against Lukaku.

April 12, 2017, 04:09:37 PM
Reply #44

Lxxx

Will be good to get a look at Keane up against Lukaku.

He'll know this is an audition of sorts too. I'd expect him to be well up for it and for them to keep it tight.