August 18, 2019, 12:27:51 PM

Author Topic: Everton v Burnley  (Read 27214 times)

April 12, 2017, 04:55:53 AM
Read 27214 times

Jamokachi

Burnley are pretty physical up front, so I'd bring Williams straight back in. Harsh on Pennington, but it's not a reflection of his recent performances.

April 12, 2017, 07:25:33 AM
Reply #1

Jamokachi

My goalie knowledge is bang average but isn't it a bit sly to compare him to the two mega keepers of the last 5 years?

What age do keepers who aren't prodigies start holding their own as a #1?

But we have to compare him to those, because we want to achieve the level that those keepers play at.

April 12, 2017, 06:04:57 PM
Reply #2

Jamokachi

They are unachievable and I don't think it's fair to say 'well these two have played 100 more games at a top level' because they're both worlds apart from him. What about other Europa level keepers? What about the average?

Set achievable goals and understand what lane we're in.

I don't think he is our number 1 personally, but we're not getting a courtois unless walshy's got one up his sleeve.

But the point is; we want to be challenging at the top. Can we do that with Robles in goal? Doubtful, because he's nowhere near the level required. The other point being that he doesn't have as much potential because he's older. It's harsh on the lad yes, but we're looking for better.

The model to follow is Spurs. They went out and bought Loris when they were in a similar position to where we are now. They didn't buy him because he was a solid mid-table keeper who might be good at Europa league level. They bought him because he was and is champions league quality... and might be the basis to a league title push, as he is proving.