August 24, 2019, 12:51:10 AM

Author Topic: Banning The Sun from Goodison  (Read 9790 times)

April 18, 2017, 02:34:06 PM
Read 9790 times

Toddacelli

To be honest, if someone had asked me before this story came up, I'd have thought they were already banned from both clubs.

"Banned from Goodison you say?

Overdue."

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

April 18, 2017, 04:22:06 PM
Reply #1

Toddacelli

Not into banning things and censorship, personally. All feels a bit bandwagony this. I think it's much better to let idiots expose their idiocy than to ban them.

It's not censorship though is it? We're not stopping them from writing whatever they want, we're just saying "We find your actions unacceptable and no longer wish to be a part of your circus."

Which I, for one, think is perfectly fine.

If you want to talk about infringing people's rights - what about being forced against your will to work with an organisation that you morally disagree with?

April 18, 2017, 06:47:58 PM
Reply #2

Toddacelli

Trouble is... how long after drawing a line in the sand does it take for the winds of time to obscure that line?

I'm guessing for some people it's forever.

April 19, 2017, 02:01:29 PM
Reply #3

Toddacelli

This isn't censorship, as you say, but as I've said, I don't agree with bans of any kind (apart from maybe ultra exceptional circumstances). I haven't mentioned infringing people's rights.

You brought up censorship - which is the suppression of free speech - which is a basic human right in most societies. But I'm not here to argue semantics.

For what it's worth, I understand and agree to some extent with the 'bandwagony' comment. People seem to really enjoy feeling outrage at the simplest thing these days.

Having said that, the things that publication said and did, and denied, and refused to apologised for - for many years. When I think of whether or not it is time to let bygones by bygones, I think of the people who campaigned for years but passed away without ever seeing justice or ever knowing if their loved ones were ever vindicated.

My own personal choice is to never have anything to do with them again, but each to his or her own.