November 19, 2017, 04:30:48 PM

Author Topic: Summer Spending  (Read 108837 times)

June 30, 2017, 12:35:48 AM
Reply #630

Evertonian in NC

So... Even with these signings - and even if we kept Rom and Ross for next season - does anyone actually see us finishing higher than 7th if the rest of the top teams perform as they should?

Yes, I do.  Keep Ross and Rom, I easily see us vaulting over Arsenal at least.  We would be in a pitched battle for 4th, even if nobody falls off in quality.  We would simply be good enough for the fight.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

deCoubertin

June 30, 2017, 12:43:48 AM
Reply #631

Toddacelli

Don't get me wrong, I agree with this.

I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with building an initial squad that will cement us in the Europa League with a chance of finishing higher if other clubs do well. It's essentially what Spurs, Liverpool and City all did.

We're just spending a lot of money to cement 7th.

A lot of money in relation to what? The money is bonkers - don't worry about it - my man Moshiri has got it covered. We will not overspend and he seems keen not to underspend either.

If we get Champions League (unlikely) or even Europa League (very possible) football next season - we will get lots more in TV revenue and in Premier League position bonus.

But the other part of the equation is that the money is now bonkers for everyone - if we don't go forwards, we'll go backwards because EVERY man and his dog has money these days.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

June 30, 2017, 12:44:27 AM
Reply #632

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Don't get me wrong, I agree with this.

I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with building an initial squad that will cement us in the Europa League with a chance of finishing higher if other clubs do well. It's essentially what Spurs, Liverpool and City all did.

We're just spending a lot of money to cement 7th.

We'd have to spend a damn site more on players that probably wouldn't want to come with us to have any chance of a top 6 finish.

With the extra games, not spending this money carries the real risk of finishing below 7th next year and that would be disastrous.

Cement 7th, pray that for the next 2 years 7th is enough for Europe and that 1 of the club's above is have a shit enough season to get our noses in front of them.
And a cup or 2

June 30, 2017, 01:11:10 AM
Reply #633

van der Meyde

With the extra games, not spending this money carries the real risk of finishing below 7th next year and that would be disastrous.
I think this, in particular, is an excellent point which I hadn't fully considered.

We've had this discussion before and we're pretty much on the same page about it; improving our overall squad quality is key to our progression.

I really don't think there's anything particularly wrong with our approach and I'm pretty confident that we'll finish with 65+ points.

It's difficult to compare to other leagues around Europe because of the differences in spending power. It's difficult to judge a transfer fee when it's still only June. I just wonder a little about the value we're ultimately getting. A lot of this really stems from the unknowns and how little I really know about a lot of the players.

What makes Michael Keane worth 13m more than Harry Maguire? What makes Bolasie worth 15m more than Nathan Redmond? Did we really need to spend 30m on Pickford or could we have got somebody just as effective for much cheaper? I think we're doing a great job at bridging the gap, but my personal opinion is that - despite it not being money - you can't just ignore cost when assessing the job Walsh and Koeman do.

June 30, 2017, 01:27:05 AM
Reply #634

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Oh, it deffo adds a layer of complexity when judging Koeman. (Of course he did well, look at the money he had spent). Long gone are the days of Everton "punching above their weight".
Less than 7th is horrendous for him now. Whereas 8th was still decent.

Walsh on the other hand? You have to judge him on the cheaper ones I reckon. Gana, Sandro, Henry and the like.

His will be the value for money players.
Koeman will be the ones we expect to be automatically brilliant

June 30, 2017, 01:32:44 AM
Reply #635

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Would love us to go get Johnny Evans and dump Funes Mori.

Evans would be such a good signing.

June 30, 2017, 01:38:16 AM
Reply #636

van der Meyde

Oh, it deffo adds a layer of complexity when judging Koeman. (Of course he did well, look at the money he had spent). Long gone are the days of Everton "punching above their weight".
Less than 7th is horrendous for him now. Whereas 8th was still decent.

Walsh on the other hand? You have to judge him on the cheaper ones I reckon. Gana, Sandro, Henry and the like.

His will be the value for money players.
Koeman will be the ones we expect to be automatically brilliant
You've hit the nail on the head a bit there though. I'm fairly concerned about just how much power I see our manager wielding on player targets which isn't really what I would have expected in a Director of Football system.

June 30, 2017, 02:11:38 AM
Reply #637

blue slug

Evans and Keane would be a very solid centre back pairing

June 30, 2017, 02:31:20 AM
Reply #638

kramer0

Would love us to go get Johnny Evans and dump Funes Mori.

That was a terrible choice by Martinez/Reeves.

Evans would have been well worth the extra wage expenditure.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:35:19 AM by kramer0 »

June 30, 2017, 02:58:18 AM
Reply #639

Bluedylan

So... Even with these signings - and even if we kept Rom and Ross for next season - does anyone actually see us finishing higher than 7th if the rest of the top teams perform as they should?

I've said this before, but think about the needless points we dropped against awful teams in the Prem this season. We don't necessarily need to worry about beating the 6 teams above us - they will all take points off each other. We need to put away the dross, home and away, and then if we pick up a few points against the big boys on top of that, sound.

So if we have a much stronger team and squad that can do damage against the 13 teams below us, that might well bridge that gap to the teams above us. Obviously, with Europe as well, that will be a difficult challenge, but it's a much more surmountable challenge to aim to beat all of the poor teams, that suddenly expecting to beat the big boys.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

June 30, 2017, 03:11:46 AM
Reply #640

van der Meyde

I've said this before, but think about the needless points we dropped against awful teams in the Prem this season. We don't necessarily need to worry about beating the 6 teams above us - they will all take points off each other. We need to put away the dross, home and away, and then if we pick up a few points against the big boys on top of that, sound.
Quite.

It's why Chelsea won the league and Liverpool didn't. :)

June 30, 2017, 03:42:14 AM
Reply #641

Toddacelli

What makes Michael Keane worth 13m more than Harry Maguire? What makes Bolasie worth 15m more than Nathan Redmond? Did we really need to spend 30m on Pickford or could we have got somebody just as effective for much cheaper? I think we're doing a great job at bridging the gap, but my personal opinion is that - despite it not being money - you can't just ignore cost when assessing the job Walsh and Koeman do.

I know I bang on about the money side of things just being so ridiculous as to not bother with - but you are right - you can't just ignore cost when assessing what Koeman and Walsh do.

However - because it's so bonkers - we will have to wait until the end of the season and judge them alongside the only comparables - other teams.

Did West Brom spend half what we did and finish level on points? Did Liverpool spend less and improve more on their position than we did ours?

It's an end of season conversation looking at what other clubs did in comparison. It's the only way to even come close to assessing the spend and evne then it's flawed.

I, for one, will not give one single, solitary shit. We have a billionaire accountant with a tight rein on the club so if we spend it - I trust we can afford it. The only thing I care about now is league finish and silverware.

June 30, 2017, 04:01:23 AM
Reply #642

Bluebridge

So once Keane is done, do we get Sigurdson in next?

I can honestly see us smashing our transfer record again once Lukaku is sold
If Barkley is staying, I can't see Sigurdson coming, with Klassen, that's three very similar players.

June 30, 2017, 04:34:54 AM
Reply #643

KoemansNumberTens

Surely we need some pace and directness in the wide forwards now. We need a quality out and our winger. Barkley and sigurdsson aren't what we need in that position

July 02, 2017, 11:40:37 PM
Reply #644

Toddacelli

So I was waiting for 1st July for the flurry.

Now I'm waiting for Monday for the flurry.

Most of all I am just amazed that our signings are being described as 'a flurry of signings' and I'm anticipating the word 'plethora' being used by early August!

So are people expecting loads tomorrow? I am - I hope there is at least one nice surprise in there too!