December 13, 2018, 09:30:07 PM

Author Topic: Arsenal v Everton  (Read 24116 times)

May 21, 2017, 11:18:48 PM
Reply #60

Evertonian in NC

You're supposed to be intelligent. It's probably why we split the Atom and couldn't control the fucking thing. BTW. Whoever tooled me, carry on. You don't know what an Evertonian is. "Personally"! I'm fuming after that.

I think there is definitely some "chaff" we need to move on from.  For example, the Ashley Williams experiment doesn't really work for me, and I would rather Jags stay on as the #3 CB, and work with Holgate as the pairing for the Cups.

But it would be better if some simply stay on as "squad players" and just play fewer minutes (Mirallas).
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

May 21, 2017, 11:21:41 PM
Reply #61

Evertonian in NC

The real work is to come.

We stabilized and returned Europa League comfort zone, but can we kick on from there? We've not done anything yet.

We are a long, long way from the teams who finished in the top 3 today. You have to expect the likes of Man United will be spending big money again too.

Can we attract and retain (the few we have of that level) players who will allow us to compete for a CL spot?

It's a big ask recruitment wise. Potentially a radically different team awaits us at the start of next season depending on how the Lukaku/Barkley situations resolves themselves.

New Goalkeeper, potentially 2 new CBs, new LB for Coleman's injury, need option for Baines too. That's just the defence.

Schneiderlin, Gueye and Davies in the midfield but beyond that who knows. Bolasie to return at some point. Mirallas has to be replaced, probably our most ineffective area of the pitch attacking wise. We definitely need more goals from midfield, Koeman is not wrong there but we're missing a couple of players if that is what he wants.

Then while I hope Lukaku stays, we either need 1 forward who can contribute meaningfully or two.

Once we got Schneiderlin (and especially before Coleman got hurt), I didn't think anyone was really out of our orbit aside from Chelsea and Spurs.  But like you said, none of our competitors will sit still, either.  And their transfer budgets are larger.

Take nothing whatsoever for granted.  Second season syndrome is a saying for a reason, we have to work hard and work smart to avoid the pitfalls.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

May 21, 2017, 11:55:16 PM
Reply #62

Evertonian in NC

Koeman said he will be speaking to the board tomorrow and will make a statement about the Barkley and Lukaku situations

I wonder if he's going to ask the board for a commitment that Lukaku will NOT be sold?