August 18, 2019, 03:58:59 PM

Author Topic: Ross Barkley  (Read 195818 times)

June 19, 2017, 06:37:09 PM
Reply #165

MmmblueBernard

Rhyl? No wonder he wants a pay rise.

His mum is a home bird.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

June 19, 2017, 08:14:51 PM
Reply #166

Nicco

I wonder how much Southampton have to spend this summer.
Depends on how much the shite spend.
Jönköpings Södra IF

June 20, 2017, 12:53:21 AM
Reply #167

mikey_blue

Got text from my mate saying:

"My dads just told me, one of the girls we go the match with, her mate works at goodison. Word round them ways is Barkley signed his contract weeks ago but club doesn't want to announce it yet cos they're going about their business elsewhere"

Just chucking it in there, we all love a bit of speculation.

June 20, 2017, 01:11:48 AM
Reply #168

Morta75

If his mind is somwhere else, case in on him now when we can.

June 20, 2017, 01:31:26 AM
Reply #169

Tony Clifton

Got text from my mate saying:

"My dads just told me, one of the girls we go the match with, her mate works at goodison. Word round them ways is Barkley signed his contract weeks ago but club doesn't want to announce it yet cos they don't want to ruin Koeman's holidays"

Just chucking it in there, we all love a bit of speculation.

Fixed ;D

June 20, 2017, 02:05:28 AM
Reply #170

Thornton_19

My top bit of Barkley ITKing would be my Dad works with his Dad and he said hes off to City.

June 20, 2017, 02:25:23 AM
Reply #171

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
My top bit of Barkley ITKing would be my Dad works with his Dad and he said hes off to City.

You get good deals on Fords?
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

June 20, 2017, 02:37:27 AM
Reply #172

Thornton_19

You get good deals on Fords?
I would if i drove.

June 20, 2017, 04:18:35 AM
Reply #173

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I would love it if he came out and said "leave? Nah signed it weeks ago but I've been in Ibiza on the magic haven't i. is right Moshiri la seeyas next year blues 👍"
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

June 20, 2017, 11:42:49 PM
Reply #174

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Might need @kramer0 help...but what the hell does that mean?....

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/877203704142856196
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

June 21, 2017, 12:11:59 AM
Reply #175

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

So the outer and inner edge of each statistic represent the top and bottom 5% of average production across the big 5 leagues. So something like key passes Ross does remarkably well in when playing in that position, whereas through balls looks low (note: in my experience everyone looks to have low theoughballs except like iniesta or ozil or whoever, so you know.)

However, I'm still learning about these and I'm struggling to understand profiles and how different positions effect the radar you should aim for, the general rule is you want plenty of spike, but that's a massive over simplification.

It also doesn't mean that's what they're good or bad at, it just means what they've managed to do within a system in that position. If you played Messi at left back then Danny rose could look the more impressive player because he tackles and intercepts more etc.

Here's some examples that show elite players hitting top 5% out put numbers in important areas and making radars you can think of as archetypes or templates (attached).

So like obviously it is just a tool and it isn't definitive but it can give you an idea of a players strengths in different areas, and in my opinion I don't think Ross comes out of this particularly well, but you'd need someone with real experience to go into depth about what he should be hitting and why.

I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

June 21, 2017, 12:20:11 AM
Reply #176

ally2

Let's buy Fabregas, Reus and Hazard.

June 21, 2017, 12:23:15 AM
Reply #177

kramer0

The two radars look at different sets of statistics, tailored to different positions. As @brap2 said, the length of each slice is determined by percentiles (with the 5th percentile being the center and the 95th percentile being the outer edge).

The one on the left considers Ross as a deeper midfielder, which is a bit misleading because while he often drops deeper during build-ups, he doesn't spend a lot of time in that area. Ross has good key pass numbers relative to deeper midfielders (of course, because he predominantly played further forward) and he's a good dribbler for a deeper midfielder (which is genuinely true even if didn't play much in that area). He's a pretty good passer (passing ability, long balls) and he doesn't commit many fouls relative to people who play further back (because he didn't really defend in that area for us). His defensive output is terrible for a deeper midfielder, a combination of Ross being poor defensively and the fact that he didn't play where defensive/box-to-box midfielders typically play.

The one on the right considers him as an attacking midfielder/forward, which is closer to the role he actually played. His passing and chance creation numbers (key passes, expected assists, expected goal chain, passing ability) are middle of the road for a creative player and adding in shots and expected goals doesn't really make him look any more impressive. He's still a pretty good dribbler but gives the ball away a lot relative to other forwards and attacking midfielders.

I think what that post really highlights is that Ross doesn't have a well-defined position at the moment. If he could find better shooting opportunities and create better chances (or even more chances), he'd be a good PL attacking midfielder. If he could take better care of the ball and contribute more defensively, he'd probably be a lot like Mousa Dembele (an excellent PL midfielder, especially w/r/t retaining possession and carrying the ball forward). As is, he's a weird player and I understand why Koeman doesn't seem concerned with losing him. Another manager might believe he can work on the weaker points of Ross' game and turn him into a very good player, which would probably be the appeal for Pochettino.

June 21, 2017, 12:34:05 AM
Reply #178

van der Meyde

Those radars are a fairly good tool for identifying underlying strengths and weaknesses. Some of the biggest things you can infer from Barkley's are that he doesn't get on the ball inside the box enough, he doesn't shoot enough and when he does shoot it's probably from outside the box instead of inside it. You'd probably also suggest from them that he loses the ball when dribbling than average.

I would probably caveat interpretation of them as his role changed a fair bit throughout the season. I'm not sure how changing from more of a wide forward to more of a central midfielder to more of a wide player with greater license to basically do whatever he wanted (in that post Christmas spell) would affect the overall averages?

Edit: And there goes @kramer0 before I've bothered to post.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:35:06 AM by van der Meyde »

June 21, 2017, 02:07:25 AM
Reply #179

Lxxx

So from all these graphs and statistical analysis the conclusion is we don't know what Ross' best position is.

Knock me down with a feather.