October 20, 2019, 02:02:43 PM

Author Topic: Ross Barkley  (Read 200905 times)

August 20, 2017, 08:59:41 PM
Reply #2085

MrWhite

Jews are a race now?

If you subscribe to the concept that the human race is split into sub-races (we call this 'breeds' amongst animals strangely enough..) then yes, they are an "ethnoreligious group" which is defined as an ethnic group with a common religious affiliation.

August 20, 2017, 09:13:54 PM
Reply #2086

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
So how many other football chairman have being tight with money as their defining characteristic in the national consciousness?

If you do a search in this site for Daniel Levy references, about 90% will be about his attitude to money. And it's been going on since long before the new stadium.

I don't think him being tight was his defining characteristic in the general public/media conversation, if anything I'd say it was he was a tough negotiator who more often than not got a great deal for Spurs.

It began in my mind in that period where Spurs were a bit of a feeder club for bigger clubs with Berbatov and later Carrick going to Man United for big fees, Robbie Keane to Liverpool and Bale and Modric to Madrid for large fees too. The Berbatov deal was the one I think that got the attention as it was usual for Man United to steamroller clubs when they were buying players as like Barca and Madrid today there was a sense as soon as they made their attention known the player would be off. With Berbatov while the player did end up going, Spurs were stubborn to hold out for the price they wanted (triple what they paid or thereabouts) and this before teams like today had much more financial muscle to push back against the bigger teams. It was probably only the David Bentley transfer around that time that dented his reputation, and then much later again with Sissoko. Although Spurs spending a lot of the Bale money on players that soon got shipped out didn't help either. So his reputation probably isn't quite what it was.

I didn't even know he was Jewish until very recently, I don't think it ever crossed my mind as important information about him. Maybe that's just my apathy. Likewise I didn't know Abramovich was Jewish and thinking about it I've no idea about the religious leanings of 90% of the chairman in the PL.

It's probably the difference about how we both perceived the original comment you replied to. I'm not suggesting we're in a post-race/religion society (just go inside the Trump thread on the general forum) but in the context of a football debate with no other whiff of a mention I'd say it's just as likely that you're inferring something based on your own biases.

August 20, 2017, 09:34:44 PM
Reply #2087

BlueBeagle

Fuck sake, start a thread on it in the General forum if you want to debate it at length.

I'm sure I'm not alone in being sick of reading about Jews every time I open this abortion of a thread.

August 20, 2017, 10:37:31 PM
Reply #2088

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Fuck sake, start a thread on it in the General forum if you want to debate it at length.

I'm sure I'm not alone in being sick of reading about Jews every time I open this abortion of a thread.

Jewish views on abortion, you ask?

August 21, 2017, 06:15:15 AM
Reply #2089

Toddacelli

Shit I just had a look on Google images for a funny 'race card' pic. Turns out there isn't one.
Just loads of hateful racist shit.

Just pack it in.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

August 22, 2017, 03:15:22 PM
Reply #2090

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Right then, steering this back towards less offensive nonsense that we are also bored of:

Looks like Sigurdsson coming in is what was holding up the Barkley sale.

Reports suggets the 4.5m Spurs got off Swansea for Sigurdsson is what they were waiting for to pay on top of the 20m they were prepared to pay for him. (They look at it as a windfall).

So the more we ended up paying towards Sigurdsson the more "add-ons" we were going to be offered by Spurs in a round-a-bout way.

edit:
To clarify, papers saying they're willing to pay the 20m and this extra is performance related add-ons

August 22, 2017, 03:58:59 PM
Reply #2091

Lxxx

So we sell Barkley for 20m and buy Sig for 40m, with the add ons cancelling each other out. Which doesn't seem too bad in the bigger scheme of things, providing Sig transfers his Swansea form over to us.

August 22, 2017, 04:01:59 PM
Reply #2092

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
20m is way too low.

August 22, 2017, 04:03:23 PM
Reply #2093

Lxxx

20m is way too low.

It probably is but he's only worth what anyone is prepared to offer and if it's only one bidder we're not in a strong position.

August 22, 2017, 04:12:16 PM
Reply #2094

Fynci

20m is way too low.

I'm not sure it is - he is hit and miss, and may not kick on. We may look back in a couple of years and say it was too low, or we may look back and say we robbed them.

August 22, 2017, 04:19:18 PM
Reply #2095

Lxxx

I'm not sure it is - he is hit and miss, and may not kick on. We may look back in a couple of years and say it was too low, or we may look back and say we robbed them.

Andre Gray has just gone for 18.5m with a year left too. Although Barkley flatters to deceive a lot of the time he's worth at least 50% more than that.

August 22, 2017, 05:11:37 PM
Reply #2096

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
20m for our diamond. Breaks my heart it really does you know.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 22, 2017, 06:14:56 PM
Reply #2097

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
20m is all we're getting? That's fuck all!

We should put a Jew in charge of negotiations. 

August 22, 2017, 06:24:54 PM
Reply #2098

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
20m is all we're getting? That's fuck all!

We should put a Jew in charge of negotiations.

20 mill is just paper talk, who knows what we will end up getting so chill.

August 22, 2017, 06:27:49 PM
Reply #2099

Jamokachi

We've just paid 30m for Keane, who was entering the last year of his contract. We're not selling Ross for 20m.