October 15, 2019, 12:43:28 AM

Author Topic: Ross Barkley  (Read 200394 times)

June 19, 2017, 12:39:38 AM
Read 200394 times

van der Meyde

Interesting how much some people think the onus is on the player himself to improve.

I stick up for Barkley a lot and my take on it won't surprise many, but I generally think there's a shared responsibility between Barkley and Koeman. That's generally because I think it's unrealistic to expect every player to be able to analyse their games and their flaws and how they can improve. That's not a slight on Barkley's intelligence either, there are many great players - Keane and Bryan Robson to name two midfielders - who have failed at management. Sometimes you just don't have those analytical skills or need some objectivity.

Koeman is right to demand a higher workrate; but I think the responsibility is on Koeman is to teach Barkley where and how to press. Koeman is right to demand more goals from Barkley, but he also needs to sit Ross down and say "you could have shot here; when the ball was wide here you should have made a run into the box" etc.

I don't have any real faith that Martinez was doing a lot of that, instead preferring players to play on instinct. Or if he was, he wasn't very good at it. I suspect Koeman does a lot more of it, but he strikes me as someone with less patience than most.

Obviously it's up to Barkley to fulfil these demands, but I personally felt like I saw enough from him December to April - especially when he had better players round him - to make me think he's listening and trying.  If another year goes by and there was no improvement then fair  enough, fuck him off, but at this stage I'd be doing everything I can to tie him down for another few years.

June 19, 2017, 12:56:08 AM
Reply #1

van der Meyde

So you've got him on a last chance (1 more year) but we should do everything we can to tie him down to 4 or 5 years now to get it. 140k a week for 5 years but if he doesn't improve we want rid after 1.
Trying and listening maybe. He needs to be doing rather than be on a last chance before we pay him 7m a season
I think his performances under Koeman indicate that he has listened though. He's improved his workrate considerably, he was generally running our attack well for the three month period we played well.

On a financial basis, as a home grown player which we would always by definition be able to sell at an accounting profit, I think it's much more sensible to keep him on the books at a 7m a year cost than to sign a player who isn't much of an upgrade, for example, Sigurddson at a reported 13m a year cost. Any comparable player we replace Barkley with is going to have a wage hit of 3-4m plus a year on wages with the addition of a transfer fee.

Get rid I'd probably harsher than I meant it because I already think he's a very good squad option for a top 8 side, but I wouldn't hold out any hope of him progressing after another year. Clubs like West Ham and Newcastle would still bite their hands off to sign him though, so your financial argument just doesn't wash with me.

June 21, 2017, 12:34:05 AM
Reply #2

van der Meyde

Those radars are a fairly good tool for identifying underlying strengths and weaknesses. Some of the biggest things you can infer from Barkley's are that he doesn't get on the ball inside the box enough, he doesn't shoot enough and when he does shoot it's probably from outside the box instead of inside it. You'd probably also suggest from them that he loses the ball when dribbling than average.

I would probably caveat interpretation of them as his role changed a fair bit throughout the season. I'm not sure how changing from more of a wide forward to more of a central midfielder to more of a wide player with greater license to basically do whatever he wanted (in that post Christmas spell) would affect the overall averages?

Edit: And there goes @kramer0 before I've bothered to post.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:35:06 AM by van der Meyde »

July 09, 2017, 10:54:12 PM
Reply #3

van der Meyde

If he'd signed up in May then I'd be happy for him to stay and fight but we don't know if we need to replace him as things stand which has to be destabilising.
If Koeman doesn't think he's good enough - and his attidue would suggest that - then he'll be looking to replace him anyway, presumably the reason for the Sigurdsson links.

I don't think that's much of an issue.

July 19, 2017, 08:23:40 PM
Reply #4

van der Meyde

So the first bit of communication we get from his camp is that he's pissed off because rumours are affecting his move away.

Fuck him, snake.
There's an air to inevitably about his departure now, isn't there.

I'm one of his biggest fans and I just can't even try to convince myself he'll sign a new deal now.

July 27, 2017, 07:00:42 PM
Reply #5

van der Meyde

He's never really hit the heights we expected of him, but there's no denying his talent.

He's never really hit the heights that we've expected from him, but I think he showed in the first half of 15/16 and from January to March this year that when he's in a good, dynamic, attacking side he can really produce.

If I was him, I'd be backing my ability to force my way in to a Champions League quality side. If I was him, I'd have more faith in your Pochettinos, Guardiolas and Contes getting the best out of me as a player. In short, if I was him, I'd be fucking off too.

August 16, 2017, 05:03:00 PM
Reply #6

van der Meyde

Would a normal hamstring injury stop a transfer?

I'd have thought scans would be able to tell if it was a potential long term problem.

Maybe insurance wouldn't take the chance but not sure
A normal hamstring might not scupper a normal transfer, but he's only got a year left on his contract.

If Spurs are convinced they're his top choice, you could easily see Levy keeping his powder dry to get him for even less in January. Spurs don't see him as an immediate starter, his success will be judged by them on next season, rather than this. Why wouldn't they try to get him as cheaply as possible?